Stay with Quarq or change

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Current setup:
R8000 with Quarq Dfour91 powermeter and R9100 DA chainrings 50/34. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Quarq, its reliable, accurate, no creaks from GXP, brilliant...
Spare used groupset is Campagnolo Chorus 50/34 12/29

Problem: Rear derailleur (Ultegra 11/32) is noisy and annoying.....I was spoilt by my campy chorus RD being silent, this shimano RD thing has been discussed on another thread...tried a lot of fixes..same

Solution:
A) Sell Quarq for same price as a new Favero Assioma duo. Change groupset back to Campagnolo Chorus
(When and IF I go on holiday with this bike, I would have to buy the new Chorus HO RD with medium cage and swap the 12/29 for Potenza 11/32...around usd$380)

B) Buy R8050 di2 (usd$1200), continue with Quarq and hope its RD eliminates the noisy....then I'll end up with 2 spare groupsets, the existing Chorus and a R8000 with 2 brand new cranksets.

I know, di2 is a pretty expensive gamble to eliminate that noise....I did ride a rental bike with DA di2 and that noise wasn't there.
I haven't taken into account selling the spare groupsets yet...

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I wouldn't bank on an R8050 RD curing the noise problem. Shimano's latest generation of RDs with the shadow design are noisier than the previous design in the 9000 and 6800 series. I don't know exactly why. I have my theories but they are just that. I am a big fan of Shimano generally - they tend to get few things wrong - but I am still not sure if this new RD design is an improvement over what came before.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Boshk wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:12 pm
Current setup:
R8000 with Quarq Dfour91 powermeter and R9100 DA chainrings 50/34. Absolutely nothing wrong with the Quarq, its reliable, accurate, no creaks from GXP, brilliant...
Spare used groupset is Campagnolo Chorus 50/34 12/29

Problem: Rear derailleur (Ultegra 11/32) is noisy and annoying.....I was spoilt by my campy chorus RD being silent, this shimano RD thing has been discussed on another thread...tried a lot of fixes..same

Solution:
A) Sell Quarq for same price as a new Favero Assioma duo. Change groupset back to Campagnolo Chorus
(When and IF I go on holiday with this bike, I would have to buy the new Chorus HO RD with medium cage and swap the 12/29 for Potenza 11/32...around usd$380)

B) Buy R8050 di2 (usd$1200), continue with Quarq and hope its RD eliminates the noisy....then I'll end up with 2 spare groupsets, the existing Chorus and a R8000 with 2 brand new cranksets.

I know, di2 is a pretty expensive gamble to eliminate that noise....I did ride a rental bike with DA di2 and that noise wasn't there.
I haven't taken into account selling the spare groupsets yet...
I'm going to agree with what BdaGhisallo said and say that expecting the 8050 RD to fix the issue would be a pretty bad bet. From my expereience with the previous generation Ultegra, I'd be willing to bet that the geometry, cage and pullys on the 8050 being identical to the 8000 you already have. I have swapped pully cages between 6800-SS and 6870-GS and they both work flawlessly.

I think if you're looking at going to Campy, you have an option C. Replace the Shimano mechanical bits with Campy, keep the Quarq. From everything I've read, shimano/sram cogs and chainrings should mesh up fine with Campy chains.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 pm

I think if you're looking at going to Campy, you have an option C. Replace the Shimano mechanical bits with Campy, keep the Quarq. From everything I've read, shimano/sram cogs and chainrings should mesh up fine with Campy chains.
Yup. I've had a Quarq PM along with Campy for years and it's been great. Using Quarq's chainrings.
Last edited by angrylegs on Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm running a Dzero/praxis with SR11. Works fine. Front shifting not always quite as smooth, but it's fine. I think I haven't quite learnt where the pickup pins are
Chasse patate

Boshk

by Boshk

IrrelevantD wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:08 pm

I'm going to agree with what BdaGhisallo said and say that expecting the 8050 RD to fix the issue would be a pretty bad bet. From my expereience with the previous generation Ultegra, I'd be willing to bet that the geometry, cage and pullys on the 8050 being identical to the 8000 you already have. I have swapped pully cages between 6800-SS and 6870-GS and they both work flawlessly.

silvalis wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:41 am
I'm running a Dzero/praxis with SR11. Works fine. Front shifting not always quite as smooth, but it's fine. I think I haven't quite learnt where the pickup pins are
Actually, I was using my campy Chorus with the Quarq when I first got the bike. As you said, the front shifting wasn't as smooth.
The Record chain had a hard time grabbing onto the pins of the big DA chainring. It would grind against it before catching. Once I actually dropped the chain onto the outside......
I asked about it on another thread and a few forum members stated that the pins are different between campy and shimano , chain is different too so I replaced the Campy with R8000 and DA chain. Front shifting now is quick, flawless, never dropped chain, outside or inside, actually rear shifting is quick and flawless too except for the noise when I'm in the large chainring.

Grinding uphill in 34 front and 32 rear, its so quiet, I cant hear anything from the drivetrain except for the obvious chain noise which is minimum.
On the 50 front and mid cog, sounds like the pulleys are about to fall off or chain is grinding on something....shifts flawlessly, just the noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

I've got mixed results. Sometimes it shifts as quickly and smooth as my SR crank did, sometimes it doesn't. It actually reminds me of the first 1000km I had on the SR crank where front shifting was also a bit rough, then suddenly everything wore in and super fast shifts.

I've never dropped the chain on the outside of either crank.
Chasse patate