Replacement chain rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewn777

by Lewn777

My SRAM Force 11 chainrings are worn down, and I was wondering if anyone has an idea of a light weight, hard wearing replacement? Something a bit beautiful.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Extralite? SRAM Red? Absolute back? Praxis? No takers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Great that you know all the options available... Now choose the nicest looking one? Really depends on your priorities.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Toby

by Toby

You list both Absolute Black and Praxis - wouldn't you first decide whether you want round or ovalized, then make a list based on that?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I'd assume he means Absolute Black round rings.
https://absoluteblack.cc/premium-road-c ... 5750-round
Their ramp behind big chainring look more substantial than Praxis, but chainring stiffness and tooth profile also effect shift quality, which for AB, it is unknown to me.
However, Praxis isn't that great either... So if you think AB chainring is beautiful, try it. Personally i don't like their aesthetic.

Toby

by Toby

That's stunning; is that new? I could have sworn that when I was looking for chainrings last winter that they were oval-only.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Well, judging by lack of review or mentioning,
I'd assume it is new.

EDIT: just realize OP talk about Force 11 rather than Force 22. SO 1x?
Then Shifting performance doesn't matter, right?

audiojan

by audiojan

For round rings (on my wife's bikes) I prefer Praxis. Shifts really well, quite and wears well.

For my own bikes, I use Absolute Black (been using oval rings for well over 10 years, Rotor prior to AB)
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Hexsense, Force 22, typo sorry. :roll:
Absolute black round I was thinking of, but I was looking yesterday. A few months ago I was sure they only had oval, so Toby I think you're right. I noticed the (new?) SRAM specific versions are OVAL only but they aren't that extreme https://absoluteblack.cc/premium-oval-r ... chainring/.
I ride 20,000kms a year so I need something with that's durable and shifts well. Extralite and Absolute black look sexy to me, whereas I think Praxis and stock SRAM look pretty ugly. I'd always go for performance first though. I prefer SRAM chains so I'm kind of swaying against Praxis as they only recommend Campy, Shimano and KMC.

Someone sell me on some chain rings. If I can't understand why any after market rings are better than stock, I just save my money and get stock SRAM red. I tried oval rings on somone else's bike, they felt weird and I worry about shifting, but I'm not against a slightly oval shape. Was thinking about running an inner absolute black 34T ring and running a round SRAM red outer 50T. Would go 52-36, but my RD is only happy with 11-28, if I had 11-32 I'd go 52-36.

eric01

by eric01

Praxis. not weight weenie, but long wearing and shifts well. Close but not quite as good as dura ace when it comes to shifting
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Marin

by Marin

Wolftooth and Garbaruk both work really well.

shoon

by shoon

I'm using AB oval 53/39. No problem with shifting.
And yes, the round chainrings from AB is relatively new.

One of the nice chainrings to me is also Carbon-Ti ones. They have round and oval. The chainring with carbon plate looks awesome. The teeth are either alu / ti, can't remember. But they cost a bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jencvo

by jencvo

How many kilometers/miles did you put on the rings to wear them out? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth wearing out my chainrings on Pioneer PM and replace them, or sell now and put the extra cash towards a new PM

3Pio

by 3Pio

jencvo wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:13 pm
How many kilometers/miles did you put on the rings to wear them out? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth wearing out my chainrings on Pioneer PM and replace them, or sell now and put the extra cash towards a new PM
Dont know if this will be helpful since im on Campagnolo, but my 36T chainring showed sign of wearing and need to replace on 21000 km (a lot of climbing in this 21000...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

Praxis is great for maintaining shifting quality. The other lighter weight chainrings you might have impacted shifting quality under load. There are quite a few threads on this.