Powertap Freehub Bearing Failure

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Not expecting any advice, just wanted to share.

I noticed a click from the drivetrain after riding the Tour of the Catskills. It sounded like the chain had a stiff link. It was actually the inside bearing in the Powertap Freehub. It’s hard to see in the picture, but two of the balls were broken in half (I think the race broke while I was removing it).

I replace the bearings (6802) myself. To the best of my understanding, these are just Novatec Freehubs.
Attachments
66FB8199-B23C-46C4-8530-6355FB114A20.jpeg

Miller

by Miller

I had something similar with a PT hub but just bought a new freehub. As you say, they're Novatec and relatively easy to source.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r4nd0mv4r14bl3

by r4nd0mv4r14bl3

Thanks for sharing. Is it the G3 version? What mileage did you get out of it before failure?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Random Variable (that took me a minute to figure out), Yes G3. I only had about 1,000-2,000 miles on it. I assume it has more to do with the climb I was on at Catskills which has a series of 20+% inclines in it.

Per Miller's comments: I was able to get a freehub on Ebay for $40. The only reasons I repaired the broken one was because I wanted to see what was going on and because I had a set of bearings in my garage.

maquisard

by maquisard

I have never had one wear out due to bearing failure. I always have to replace due to the soft alu free-hub getting chewed up by Shimano cassettes. I really wish they would do a Ti version.

Miller

by Miller

There's a Novatec freehub which has a steel plate along one of the splines to prevent this, they call it Biteguard or something like that. Or you could use Campag which has deeper splines anyway...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

I didn't realise that, thanks!

Would this be the correct Shimano freehub for a Powertap G3?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/ ... d-shimano/