New Canyon Aeroad rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dcorn

by dcorn

Still blows me away that Etap is $2500-3000 more than Ultegra Di2. How do they justify that price difference?

Love my '18 Aeroad disc, but I would much rather have the silver frame of the 2019 than my Red. I had a flat black bike for 2 years, then a red bike for like 5 years and was ready for a change.

ill principe

by ill principe

When comparing frameset price for an Aeroad CF SL to the complete bike with Ultegra Di2 (8.0 Di2 model), the frameset seems unusally cheap for a Canyon? When looking at the components it looks like you could source same/similar components and build the bike yourself for the same price as complete bike, something that have been impossible for the cheaper complete bikes in the past.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreas

by andreas

ill principe wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:29 am
When comparing frameset price for an Aeroad CF SL to the complete bike with Ultegra Di2 (8.0 Di2 model), the frameset seems unusally cheap for a Canyon? When looking at the components it looks like you could source same/similar components and build the bike yourself for the same price as complete bike, something that have been impossible for the cheaper complete bikes in the past.
Well they increased the price on the complete bike while lowering the frameset quality, and the Aeroad SL frame is more expensive than the Ultimate counterpart, so I'd rather say they made the complete bargain less of a deal.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

It´s most likely that new gen of Aeroad will be introduced during Tour this year, so how do you guys imagine it will looks like, or what you´d like to see to be improved?
Prevoius gen of Aeroad was pretty timeless, personally I hope next gen will blow us away too.

Personally I wouldn´t mind to see something like this fake one with integrated rim brakes, improved aero cockpit with hidden cables, stiffer carbon layup and weight of frame around 900g :D Hope Canyon won´t get rid of rim brakes like S5 or Venge.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/24975 ... or-it-fake

StevenH72

by StevenH72

Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm
It´s most likely that new gen of Aeroad will be introduced during Tour this year
Have we heard any actual "sourced" rumours of this, or is it just speculation on here and nothing else?

I've just received an Aeroad CF SL frame, which I am very happy with. Built up with Ultegra (rim brake) and Reynolds Strike SLG's to an overall weight of 7.39kg which I'm pretty happy with.

I was tempted to wait for a new frame, but having seen the direction of the S5 (and its funky stem) and the emergence of disc brakes I'm not sure I'd be immediately smitten with a new aeroad if it follows these trends.

petromyzon

by petromyzon

I would imagine they will hide the cables - apparently they create drag out of all proportion to their size. It's already quite an aero bike so there is not much else to do, although hopefully they will keep it light. I'd really like to see a threaded BB standard (BSA or T47) as well but somehow I doubt it.

Bigger questions are whether it will be disc only and whether it will be electronic shifting only, which are both quite large financial and engineering decisions.

Stueys

by Stueys

petromyzon wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:44 pm
I would imagine they will hide the cables - apparently they create drag out of all proportion to their size. It's already quite an aero bike so there is not much else to do, although hopefully they will keep it light. I'd really like to see a threaded BB standard (BSA or T47) as well but somehow I doubt it.

Bigger questions are whether it will be disc only and whether it will be electronic shifting only, which are both quite large financial and engineering decisions.
Agree with all of that. Integrated cabling is the new entry point in full aero world.

Can’t see canyon going only electronic at the price points they cover, disc only is a possible though. Chunky savings for the manufacturer.

gurk700

by gurk700

I JUST got a new bike but I'd be all over a new aeroad that hides all the cables :) I don't care about aero gains at all. Just love the clean look.

SchallUndRauch

by SchallUndRauch

For an updated Aeroad, integrated cabling plus capacity for 28mm tires would be my guess.
It already is one of the most aerodynamic bikes with greatest comfort at the seat post (Tour test results).

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

StevenH72 wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:42 pm
Roadrocket wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:15 pm
It´s most likely that new gen of Aeroad will be introduced during Tour this year
Have we heard any actual "sourced" rumours of this, or is it just speculation on here and nothing else?

I've just received an Aeroad CF SL frame, which I am very happy with. Built up with Ultegra (rim brake) and Reynolds Strike SLG's to an overall weight of 7.39kg which I'm pretty happy with.

I was tempted to wait for a new frame, but having seen the direction of the S5 (and its funky stem) and the emergence of disc brakes I'm not sure I'd be immediately smitten with a new aeroad if it follows these trends.
We expected new gen of Aeroad last year because it´s on the market from 2015 without any changes and expectations were high due to canyon´s manager interview confirmed that they work on new gen.

Aerodynamic is great, but could be improved by hidden cables, downtube integrated into fork, integrated stem, etc. There´s a lot that could be improved yet. Even if current gen was totally perfect they have to replace it just because it´s getting old and competition is mighty(S5, Venge, Systemsix, Madone SLR)
But I´m afraid it will be disc version only.

I doubt they will make electronic version only because of new 12sp Campagnolo mech groups introduced. Threaded bb is a thing of the past unfortunately.
Attachments
aeroadtritime.jpg

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Im glad Canyon elected to release after everyone does. Get the Madone Venge S5 SystemSix in the wind tunnel, track and out on the road and learn what works, what doesn't.

I'm sure they'll bring out a great product. Those Germans know how to make good bikes.

Would like to know if they're releasing a new Ultimate as well. Looks like the verdict is out right now and everyone talks about on how the Tarmacs the best all rounder.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That’s not really how development cycles work.

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

The next Aeroad/Ultimate/Endurace started development 2 weeks after the current one was released. There will be hundreds of iterations to see what is quicker/lighter/stronger/faster. This takes years to do. Other manufacturers bikes come along and Canyon will buy and cut up the frames to see if they're better or a different construction than they are using. This isn't always necessary though as a lot of what happens in Taiwan and China is shared or known to the other factories. There is some technology overlap unless you're a 'one brand' manufacturer which is rare now (Factor springs to mind).
The next Aeroad development may be finished or close to finished awaiting the best time to market, maybe the TdF.

Ginsterdrz

by Ginsterdrz

:beerchug:

andreas

by andreas

Ginsterdrz wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:05 pm
:beerchug:
??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓