New Canyon Aeroad rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Aero bikes are fungible commodities. I can choose between any number of them and they will mostly feel the same. If blind tests were possible, I doubt any of use would be able to tell the difference between an Aeroad, Venge or Timemachine Road. So the key difference between the Aeroad and every other aero bike is two design flaws. Face it, the bike is a lemon and the real way to fix the seatpost issue is a redesign of the frame/seatpost clamp.

I was very excited about the Aeroad from an on-paper performance standpoint, but dudes...come oooon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cannoli

by Cannoli

What I say really doesn't matter, nor am I trying to influence anyone's decision or line of thinking. I'm simply sharing my experience for anyone who cares, not bellyaching like a miserable human being.

And for the record, I plan to ride the snot out of mine as well. :thumbup:
Last edited by Cannoli on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Cannoli wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 pm
It's quite sad that folks choose to look for the worst in every situation. My comments regarding 125 miles and no wear being identified was to express that it's not all doom and gloom. The bike still rolls, and rolls quite well. Is it unfortunate that we (actual Aeroad owners) have to deal with the seat post issue and the new handle bar clamp issue? Yes. Does anyone think that there wont be a fix for said issue which can be applied by existing Aeroad owners? Unfortunately, that answer is yes too, but by people who likely don't even own an Aeroad and only want to use this thread to complain about a problem that doesn't even affect them.

Not a fanboy, and not a "the glass isn't even half full, it's broken" person. I feel sorry for you if that's the way you choose to live your life.
This is how internet forums work.......
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

tomtom

by tomtom

Nickldn wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:45 am
Cannoli wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 pm
It's quite sad that folks choose to look for the worst in every situation. My comments regarding 125 miles and no wear being identified was to express that it's not all doom and gloom. The bike still rolls, and rolls quite well. Is it unfortunate that we (actual Aeroad owners) have to deal with the seat post issue and the new handle bar clamp issue? Yes. Does anyone think that there wont be a fix for said issue which can be applied by existing Aeroad owners? Unfortunately, that answer is yes too, but by people who likely don't even own an Aeroad and only want to use this thread to complain about a problem that doesn't even affect them.

Not a fanboy, and not a "the glass isn't even half full, it's broken" person. I feel sorry for you if that's the way you choose to live your life.
This is how internet forums work.......
No, this is how forums for SOME people work. They apparently seems to gain joy out of bashing others and/or being negative for no good reason because it does not affect themselves. For the most here fortunately it works as follows; sharing ideas/questions/knowledge (their OWN!) experience about your hobby/passion in a positive and contributing way. Truly sad that is seems necessary to explain that....
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

baldav74

by baldav74

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm
If you dont own the bike, quit speculating. It's not useful. Just sayin'. On another note. I threw down some mean efforts yesterday and my bike didnt explode. The carbon around the seatpost is as thick as the bottom bracket, so there you go. Image
Dark Vador's Bike 8) :D :thumbup:

cberg

by cberg

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm
If you dont own the bike, quit speculating. It's not useful. Just sayin'. On another note. I threw down some mean efforts yesterday and my bike didnt explode. The carbon around the seatpost is as thick as the bottom bracket, so there you go. Image
Cant wait for mine to arrive, one month delayed now :cry:

Technick

by Technick

tomtom wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:27 am
No, this is how forums for SOME people work. They apparently seems to gain joy out of bashing others and/or being negative for no good reason because it does not affect themselves. For the most here fortunately it works as follows; sharing ideas/questions/knowledge (their OWN!) experience about your hobby/passion in a positive and contributing way. Truly sad that is seems necessary to explain that....
A reason for the huge ammount of feedback here IMHO is that Canyon has a very poor communication about the issues. That leaves a lot of space for suppositions. It´s quite normal that people who invested such a huge amount of money are looking for someone to talk about these issue in order to process the trauma. Normally Canyon would be responsible to provide first aid in such a situation, but so far nobody really knows how these issues gonna be solved.

check6

by check6

For perspective, this is the seat post of my old model Canyon Aeroad. About 20 to 25,000 miles on it and I clean it thoroughly at least twice a year. I was surprised to see there’s a decent amount of carbon that has worn.
Attachments
81FF0900-CC42-4DCF-8970-9990C8886B2A.jpeg

tomtom

by tomtom

That's (mostly) paint, isn't it? My old Aeroad(s) looks the same....seatpost wise!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom

by tomtom

Technick wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:17 pm
tomtom wrote:
A reason for the huge ammount of feedback here IMHO is that Canyon has a very poor communication about the issues. That leaves a lot of space for suppositions. It´s quite normal that people who invested such a huge amount of money are looking for someone to talk about these issue in order to process the trauma. Normally Canyon would be responsible to provide first aid in such a situation, but so far nobody really knows how these issues gonna be solved.
Of course but a BIG bunch does not own and/or want a new Aeroad. Canyon is imo very clear (only I do not agree with timing nor content :-))! I have an exetensive mailing piled up @Canyon and I think that's first the place to complain, ask and be "mad". Not here @WW for the 10.000th time with no new perspective, content and/or goal. Please contribute, say something nice/useful or shut up :mrgreen: :thumbup:

You (Technick) own a new Aeroad? Bought one? Asked Canyon and/or have even emailed them? I think not so how it is possible you can judge them?
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

Flasher

by Flasher

tomtom wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:45 pm

Of course but a BIG bunch does not own and/or want a new Aeroad. Canyon is imo very clear (only I do not agree with timing nor content :-))! I have an exetensive mailing piled up @Canyon and I think that's first the place to complain, ask and be "mad". Not here @WW for the 10.000th time with no new perspective, content and/or goal. Please contribute, say something nice/useful or shut up :mrgreen: :thumbup:

You (Technick) own a new Aeroad? Bought one? Asked Canyon and/or have even emailed them? I think not so how it is possible you can judge them?
So are you only allowed an opinion if you own the product?

Technick

by Technick

tomtom wrote:
I already received my Aeroad and sent it back in February within the 30 days. Although I loved the bike a lot and I know that faults may happen there had been some facts that made me cause to return the bike for now and wait how the story is going on. I don´t agree that Canyon is very clear. In contrary, Canyon still hasn´t communicated that this is a design flaw. So I can understand people looking for help and support here, because at the moment they don´t really get it from Canyon.
tomtom wrote:
I have an exetensive mailing piled up @Canyon and I think that's first the place to complain, ask and be "mad". Not here @WW for the 10.000th time with no new perspective, content and/or goal.
Can you please inform us about the perspective, content and/or goal of your exetensive mailing?

spartacus

by spartacus

Flasher wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:29 pm
tomtom wrote:

So are you only allowed an opinion if you own the product?
I think everyone that has one at this point knows the bike is effed up and they're just tired of people piling on and they want to enjoy their bikes, which is understandable.

Lina

by Lina

tomtom wrote:
Technick wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:17 pm
tomtom wrote:

I personally know 5 other people besides myself that were either very interested in the new Aeroad or already bought one. Everyone has cancelled, returned, or completely abandoned the idea of ordering one. Why should these people not be allowed to participate in the discussion?

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

Nonsense. I own one and have no problems. But not everyone is as lucky I guess.
carbonLORD.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com