New Canyon Aeroad rumors

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

EsotericCyclist

by EsotericCyclist

mattap wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:53 pm
yourrealdad wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm
So what is the legality behind the stop ride order? If I ride the bike and it breaks does that void warranty? Excuse them from legal battles? It is my only road bike at this point and I need to start riding outside.
On the FB group there are 2 Canyon reps that, from what I gather, think this seatpost issue is solved. Obvioulsy they can't say anything until the 17th though.
I'm a member of just about all of the Facebook groups and have watched the statements from Robert Bruckner and the other official Canyon account and I didn't necessarily see anything this optimistic. Would you mind filling me in on what was shared that makes you think that the fix is ready to go?
May have been wishful thinking on my part, or my brain filling in parts. I was referring to one of the reps replys in a group message. Now that I read it again though there really was no new information only that they will be able to say more on the 17th.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattap

by mattap

EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:52 pm
mattap wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:25 pm
EsotericCyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:53 pm
yourrealdad wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm
So what is the legality behind the stop ride order? If I ride the bike and it breaks does that void warranty? Excuse them from legal battles? It is my only road bike at this point and I need to start riding outside.
On the FB group there are 2 Canyon reps that, from what I gather, think this seatpost issue is solved. Obvioulsy they can't say anything until the 17th though.
I'm a member of just about all of the Facebook groups and have watched the statements from Robert Bruckner and the other official Canyon account and I didn't necessarily see anything this optimistic. Would you mind filling me in on what was shared that makes you think that the fix is ready to go?
May have been wishful thinking on my part, or my brain filling in parts. I was referring to one of the reps replys in a group message. Now that I read it again though there really was no new information only that they will be able to say more on the 17th.
OK, no worries, that's what I thought. Look forward to having clarity on the timing so I can decide if I want to wait it out or buy a last-gen.

tomtom

by tomtom

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:28 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:04 pm
I keep looking at other bikes but i still cant find one that looks as bad ass as this! im hanging in there with my order.
@carbonLord What size is your chain ring? bike set up you have looks amazing.
Thanks Aerohead. 175mm Rotor InPower w/ MAS spider and round Qarbon 53t big ring (38 inner) with a Rotor BB 4130 (Dont get the CeramicSpeed 4130, they changed the specs and there is slop) Save the money on the Rotor steel BB over the Rotor ceramic. Not a noticable difference in weight or performance vs co$t.
Got myself an inpower 175mm in combination with a very nicely made C-bear BB (and light: 55grams!) but I need a spacer of 1-1,5mm in contrary what Rotor tells (you need none). How did you do it? The mounting proces is hiddious by the way....the left crank can't be torqed properly because it will be to tight :-(?!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

C36

by C36

Cannoli wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm
If you dont own the bike, quit speculating. It's not useful. Just sayin'. On another note. I threw down some mean efforts yesterday and my bike didnt explode. The carbon around the seatpost is as thick as the bottom bracket, so there you go.
^^^^
THIS

I've put ~100 miles on my CFR over two rides and haven't had a single issue. I can see that the 3M protective film that I put on the back of the seat post is a little deformed, but no chips/scraps/damage to speak of (all dry riding).

For reference, my seat post is exposed to the 4.5cm mark and I weigh ~170lbs (77.5kg).
Wow a bike that resists 100km Image, like the S5 (probably to a more severe extend for the aeroad) there are two design flaws that represent a risk and you are unable to know if / when they will hit you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Last edited by C36 on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:11 pm
Cannoli wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:08 pm
If you dont own the bike, quit speculating. It's not useful. Just sayin'. On another note. I threw down some mean efforts yesterday and my bike didnt explode. The carbon around the seatpost is as thick as the bottom bracket, so there you go.
^^^^
THIS

I've put ~100 miles on my CFR over two rides and haven't had a single issue. I can see that the 3M protective film that I put on the back of the seat post is a little deformed, but no chips/scraps/damage to speak of (all dry riding).

For reference, my seat post is exposed to the 4.5cm mark and I weigh ~170lbs (77.5kg).
Wow a bike that resists 100km Image, like the S5 (probably to a more severe extend) there are two design flaws that represent a risk and you are unable to know if / when they will hit you.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
That's 100 miles, not kilometers. In fact, I just put another 25 miles on her moments ago (again, miles, the longer unit of measurement for distance), with no seat post wear issues or self-generating black hole that sucks the handle bars into the 5th dimension. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh yeah, just got 19 PR's and 2 cups on today's ride (A 9th and a 3rd. Strava Top 10's for non-Strava people). Too bad it's inevitable that the bike is going to implode at any moment. Better break as many of my own personal records while I can!
Last edited by Cannoli on Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

inean

by inean

tomtom wrote:
carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:28 pm
Aerohead23 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:04 pm
I keep looking at other bikes but i still cant find one that looks as bad ass as this! im hanging in there with my order.
@carbonLord What size is your chain ring? bike set up you have looks amazing.
Thanks Aerohead. 175mm Rotor InPower w/ MAS spider and round Qarbon 53t big ring (38 inner) with a Rotor BB 4130 (Dont get the CeramicSpeed 4130, they changed the specs and there is slop) Save the money on the Rotor steel BB over the Rotor ceramic. Not a noticable difference in weight or performance vs co$t.
Got myself an inpower 175mm in combination with a very nicely made C-bear BB (and light: 55grams!) but I need a spacer of 1-1,5mm in contrary what Rotor tells (you need none). How did you do it? The mounting proces is hiddious by the way....the left crank can't be torqed properly because it will be to tight :-(?!
Just be sure that spider is not a BB30 one. For BB86 bottom brackets it use two 1mm plastic spacers ,IIRC.

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 SE mediante Tapatalk

C36

by C36

Cannoli wrote: That's 100 miles, not kilometers. In fact, I just put another 25 miles on her moments ago (again, miles, the longer unit of measurement for distance), with no seat post wear issues or self-generating black hole that sucks the handle bars into the 5th dimension. :mrgreen:
If you really don’t get it then nothing I can do for you. A structural element wear is not measured in 100s of miles, neither in 1000s but in 10s of thousands. And your 125miles is totally insignificant for the seatpost and totally unrelated for the bar.
Cannoli wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah, just got 19 PR's and 2 cups on today's ride (A 9th and a 3rd. Strava Top 10's for non-Strava people). Too bad it's inevitable that the bike is going to implode at any moment. Better break as many of my own personal records while I can!
Again you are off topic... has anyone here said the bike was slow? Please remove the fanboy cap and accept the design has issues, canyon themselves recognised it (not like cervelle on the s5 for example)

—————————————
- Supersix evo2 HM 5707g
- 1995 Miguel Indurain Pinarello restauration project
- R3000si Junior bike restauration project.

threefootlongbeaver

by threefootlongbeaver

C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 pm
Cannoli wrote: EDIT: Oh yeah, just got 19 PR's and 2 cups on today's ride (A 9th and a 3rd. Strava Top 10's for non-Strava people). Too bad it's inevitable that the bike is going to implode at any moment. Better break as many of my own personal records while I can!
Again you are off topic... has anyone here said the bike was slow? Please remove the fanboy cap and accept the design has issues, canyon themselves recognised it (not like cervelle on the s5 for example)
This thread is about the Canyon Aeroad, not just about the issues with the saddle or the cockpit. It shouldn't be a problem to discuss how the bike feels when riding and poke some fun at the whole situation. If you feel the need to reply negatively to someone talking about enjoying his new bike then I'm pretty sure you are the one off topic here. :beerchug:
Last edited by threefootlongbeaver on Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carbonLORD
in the industry

by carbonLORD

What is a BB30 spider? :D

I have a BB30 3D+ InPower. You always use the two clear plastic spacers (more like large washers) but that is it.

I have around 9,000 miles on this crank.

The process to set up is simple.

Press bearings in frame.
Tighten crank to 39-40Nm.
Back off preload lockring and tighten 2mm allen bolt.
Ride bike.

Not sure what is horrendous about that process. Beats the crap out of any SRAM wave washer, or what Shimano and Campy do. S-WORK and RaceFace have a similar preload lockring and both have also never been troublesome.

Lastly, to stay on topic, I have 500 miles on the trainer and 250 outside on the Aeroad. Seatpost is properly taped and no explosions on the front end yet, just dont use your hoods like bar ends and you should be good to go. Also, this will get some of you into the drops more as a bonus, so there.
carbonLORD.com

Lina

by Lina

Cannoli wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:24 pm
That's 100 miles, not kilometers. In fact, I just put another 25 miles on her moments ago (again, miles, the longer unit of measurement for distance), with no seat post wear issues or self-generating black hole that sucks the handle bars into the 5th dimension. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh yeah, just got 19 PR's and 2 cups on today's ride (A 9th and a 3rd. Strava Top 10's for non-Strava people). Too bad it's inevitable that the bike is going to implode at any moment. Better break as many of my own personal records while I can!
Wow, a whopping 125 miles on a bike and it's still in one piece. That's like one weekend ride. Report back at 12 500 miles and we might make some initial conclusions about its reliability. Then again at 20, 30, etc. thousand miles and see how it's holding up.

inean

by inean

carbonLORD wrote:What is a BB30 spider? :D

I have a BB30 3D+ InPower. You always use the two clear plastic spacers (more like large washers) but that is it.

Press bearings in frame.
Ride bike.

Not sure what is horrendous about that process. Beats the crap out of any SRAM wave washer, or what Shimano and Campy do. S-WORK and RaceFace have a similar preload lockring and both have also never been troublesome.

Lastly, to stay on topic, I have 500 miles on the trainer and 250 outside on the Aeroad. Seatpost is properly taped and no explosions on the front end yet, just dont use your hoods like bar ends and you should be good to go. Also, this will get some of you into the drops more as a bonus, so there.
Rotor UBB system uses different spiders (and spider nuts) for BB30 bottom brackets or BB86 ones. You can install an UBB30 rotor 3d crankset from a Cervelo on a BMC or a Canyon, for example.

Enviado desde mi Mi 9 SE mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by inean on Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

It's quite sad that folks choose to look for the worst in every situation. My comments regarding 125 miles and no wear being identified was to express that it's not all doom and gloom. The bike still rolls, and rolls quite well. Is it unfortunate that we (actual Aeroad owners) have to deal with the seat post issue and the new handle bar clamp issue? Yes. Does anyone think that there wont be a fix for said issue which can be applied by existing Aeroad owners? Unfortunately, that answer is yes too, but by people who likely don't even own an Aeroad and only want to use this thread to complain about a problem that doesn't even affect them.

Not a fanboy, and not a "the glass isn't even half full, it's broken" person. I feel sorry for you if that's the way you choose to live your life.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

tomtom

by tomtom

threefootlongbeaver wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm
C36 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:32 pm
This thread is about the Canyon Aeroad, not just about the issues with the saddle or the cockpit. It shouldn't be a problem to discuss how the bike feels when riding and poke some fun at the whole situation. If you feel the need to reply negatively to someone talking about enjoying his new bike then I'm pretty sure you are the one off topic here. :beerchug:
Right on Bro 👍💪! We know what's wrong and there no need to repeat that for the 10.000th time, is there? It's a stunning bike and it's ride dito despite the flaws ánd the way Canyon communicates....can you imagine THAT 😳😀?!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

tomtom

by tomtom

carbonLORD wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:41 pm
What is a BB30 spider? :D

Press bearings in frame.
Ride bike.

Thanks! I have used/mounted tons of cranks (old Rotor, Shimano, THM, Fulcrum etc) but this one is odd/different: first really firm tightening and then loosening it all again. Also a really weird little screw for the preload ring....and NOWHERE a video, clear instruction or anything else on the net :(. I have a DM 53/39 set. Unfortunately also different than the easy Aldhu change possibilitie but with the old way of unscrewing it from the back. Hopefully it will be stiff(er) than my DA9100 with Osymmeyric. Back ON topic 😋😬!
Last edited by tomtom on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Cannoli wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:16 pm
It's quite sad that folks choose to look for the worst in every situation. My comments regarding 125 miles and no wear being identified was to express that it's not all doom and gloom. The bike still rolls, and rolls quite well. Is it unfortunate that we (actual Aeroad owners) have to deal with the seat post issue and the new handle bar clamp issue? Yes. Does anyone think that there wont be a fix for said issue which can be applied by existing Aeroad owners? Unfortunately, that answer is yes too, but by people who likely don't even own an Aeroad and only want to use this thread to complain about a problem that doesn't even affect them.

Not a fanboy, and not a "the glass isn't even half full, it's broken" person. I feel sorry for you if that's the way you choose to live your life.

what if they had one on order and cancelled.. can you still say it did not affect them ?
What if you planned on getting one, but now are in a hold state waiting to see if the issues will get resolved ? Can you still say they are not affected ?

Just because you own one does not change those facts for others.

For the record I've said many times... I'd ride the snot out of it.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com