Steerer Plug Bolt - Replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

avispa

by avispa

I’m trying to replace the cheap steerer tube plug bolt that comes with my Pinarello F10 for one made out of stainless steel or titanium.

I am doing this mostly to prevent corrosion not for weight savings.

Do any of you know a good source to find such screws?

I am not even sure what type screw this would be (such as M5, M6, etc.)

Thanks!

sungod

by sungod

which country?

to find the size, just take out the old bolt and measure it

https://www.pro-bolt.com/ are good, there are many others

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orlok

by Orlok

Put a black plastic cap (find at the construction market) on top of it, this will prevent water and dust.! :wink:
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

In a happy coincidence, the gold anodized alloy cantilever bolt from a set of Magura hydraulic brakes happened to fit into my Neco steer tube expander.

avispa

by avispa

Orlok wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:45 pm
Put a black plastic cap (find at the construction market) on top of it, this will prevent water and dust.! :wink:
Nope, they do come with that plastic cap and it's useless...

avispa

by avispa

sungod wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:15 pm
which country?

to find the size, just take out the old bolt and measure it

https://www.pro-bolt.com/ are good, there are many others
USA... But this web site is cool! What's the best way to measure a bolt to find it's size? Well, to find if it is a M6, M5 or whatever... :oops:

motorapido

by motorapido

The M means metric and the number is the bolt thread diameter in millimeters, their are various pitches of thread but most bike bolts are a standard coarse thread bolt.
A vernier is the best tool to measure the bolt but eyeballing it with a ruler should be easy enough to determine its size. the expander bolt you are looking to replace usually M6.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I think those bolts need around 5-6nm or torque, so I might buy very high quality alu alloy (careful the average alu bolt will thread like butter over 4nm). Or preferably 'good' titanium alloy. Varies by manufacturer, but you probably want M5x30-40mm. A full metal jacket steel bolt is around 8g-10g. So you can potentially shave off 5g or so, which considering it's a single bolt is a heck of a lot! I just switched by stock steel bolt to titanium on my bike today and saved about 4g. :thumbup:

avispa

by avispa

Lewn777 wrote:I think those bolts need around 5-6nm or torque, so I might buy very high quality alu alloy (careful the average alu bolt will thread like butter over 4nm). Or preferably 'good' titanium alloy. Varies by manufacturer, but you probably want M5x30-40mm. A full metal jacket steel bolt is around 8g-10g. So you can potentially shave off 5g or so, which considering it's a single bolt is a heck of a lot! I just switched by stock steel bolt to titanium on my bike today and saved about 4g. :thumbup:
Thanks for the info!

Where Did you purchase your bolt?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

avispa wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 pm
Lewn777 wrote:I think those bolts need around 5-6nm or torque, so I might buy very high quality alu alloy (careful the average alu bolt will thread like butter over 4nm). Or preferably 'good' titanium alloy. Varies by manufacturer, but you probably want M5x30-40mm. A full metal jacket steel bolt is around 8g-10g. So you can potentially shave off 5g or so, which considering it's a single bolt is a heck of a lot! I just switched by stock steel bolt to titanium on my bike today and saved about 4g. :thumbup:
Thanks for the info!

Where Did you purchase your bolt?
Found a bolt in my 'non-magnetic' bolt pile! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check your bolt piles for hidden treasure people! :thumbup: