Enve 3.4 or 4.5 AR Disc for All-Around bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
blauhaus

by blauhaus

Hey. My LBS is building me a Mosaic GT-1. I'll be using it 85-90% on roads (many of which are major-metro type rough or cobbled, but nothing too terrible) - some of which may be long'ish rides - and the rest light gravel/trails. I'm 45yo and 140 lbs.. I've _not_ been riding road bikes my whole life and have no plans at this point to win any races, become a star climber, etc, but I like to push it (for me). Just want a great, zippy bike that will take me wherever I want to go and be adaptable. Trying to balance as much responsiveness (handling-wise) as is practical without sacrificing much comfort. Debating between Enve 3.4 and 4.5 AR (seems like 4.5 with 28 tires is the way to go?), but not sure I wholly appreciate the trade-offs, despite reading other threads. Some info seemed to contradrict my LBS, so just though I'd ask with my specifics. Any advice / explanations appreciated. Which would you reccommend?

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

28's on 45AR will be 30+ and you pretty much have to run exclusively tubeless.

85/90% road I might choose 3.4

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have both (though 3.4 is clincher.)
45AR with Hutchinson Session 28s are 30.8mm (that is; check your bikes clearance...) Wider tires give you more choices if you are going to go off road. AR is the way to go for this case.
If you are into climbing, on the other hand, you may want to go with 3.4s.
Pure cosmetics; deeper ARs look better IMO.
On the road, they both are pretty sweet. However, they are a little more flexy, compared to a lightweight. So, if you put a lot of power on climbs, you'll notice...

boots2000

by boots2000

I would get the 3.4 as all around wheels.
I in fact I used to have a set.
Even better- I like the Roval CLX 32 disc wheelset. It is lighter and just as fast as the 3.4.

moyboy

by moyboy

I'd go Enve 3.4 disc for the tire choices you have vs. the limited recommended tires enve has for 4.5 AR's now due to hookless design.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

As for ENVE, does anybody ever seriously compare DT Swiss and Chris King? I know CK has been always regarded but certainly heavier.

nycebo

by nycebo

2old4this wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm
On the road, they both are pretty sweet. However, they are a little more flexy, compared to a lightweight. So, if you put a lot of power on climbs, you'll notice...
Do you mean lightweight wheels?

Finx

by Finx

I bought a set of the 4.5ARs when they first came out. I hated them and ended up returning them and buying a set of 3.5s.

I rejected the ARs because tire selection is limited, you have to run tubeless, and mounting tires.. even the recommended ones was a nightmare.

I live in the PNW, where weather conditions are frequently cold and wet. I also ride in areas where the roads are less than ideal.

The idea of dealing with a tire cut with these things, under those conditions... No thanks...

The 3.5s have been great. Great all around wheel. Lots of tire options, and easy to service...

2old4this

by 2old4this

nycebo wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 pm
2old4this wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:37 pm
Do you mean lightweight wheels?
Yes. Sorry about the confusion...

2old4this

by 2old4this

Finx wrote: ↑
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:03 pm
I bought a set of the 4.5ARs when they first came out. I hated them and ended up returning them and buying a set of 3.5s.

I rejected the ARs because tire selection is limited, you have to run tubeless, and mounting tires.. even the recommended ones was a nightmare.

I live in the PNW, where weather conditions are frequently cold and wet. I also ride in areas where the roads are less than ideal.

The idea of dealing with a tire cut with these things, under those conditions... No thanks...

The 3.5s have been great. Great all around wheel. Lots of tire options, and easy to service...
You are right on ARs; mounting tires is a hassle. But then again I have to assume that it is the same for all tubless (your experience may vary) since the bead has to be a tight fitting for proper sealing...

I've never tried 3.5 tubeless. Are you saying fitting tubeless on a 3.5 is easier?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

every Enve I've tried tubeless has been fairly..... hard. (2.2s and 7.8 )

I'm running tubeless on my HED Ardennes + LT... damn that was easy.

Silvera4

by Silvera4

I bought Enve 4.5 AR and was very frustrated with mounting schwalbe pro one tires and even got blister on my thumbs. I was ready to return it and came back to the post that Enve confirmed it safe with Conti 28s only. Tried it and a lot easier to mount. Now not as easy as Conti was with 25. Only issue seems to be valve lengths. I use giant tubes and 28 goes to 60mm stem length. Can’t pump it with my pump head. Works fine with co2 if you get a flat. Been researching size 25 with 80mm stem to use with 28s. Valve extensions seems to be a pain.

Silvera4

by Silvera4

I bought Enve 4.5 AR and was very frustrated with mounting schwalbe pro one tires and even got blister on my thumbs. I was ready to return it and came back to the post that Enve confirmed it safe with Conti 28s only. Tried it and a lot easier to mount. Now not as easy as Conti was with 25. Only issue seems to be valve lengths. I use giant tubes and 28 goes to 60mm stem length. Can’t pump it with my pump head. Works fine with co2 if you get a flat. Been researching size 25 with 80mm stem to use with 28s. Valve extensions seems to be a pain.

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Answered same question for myself and ended up with the ARs. Fantastic wheels. Ride quality is out of this world. Seems as fast as the rim brake 4.5s on my Cervélo, only polisher.

Running 28mm Conti's with tubes per Enve customer support recommendations. Haven't had any probs mounting and dismounting tires, including on side of road for changing two flats (one broken glass, one my fault for pinching a latex tube).

I use Conti valve extenders with zero issues.

by Weenie

jlok

by jlok

I handled my friend's 4.5AR Disc and mounted Schwalbe G-One Speed 30mm tubeless without much trouble. It even seated without any CO2 or booster, just a track pump was needed. It fits my Propel Disc so I ordered a pair as well. Can't wait!
Litespeed T1sl Disc / BMC TM02 < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10