Rim brakes for wide carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

William42

by William42

I just got some 25mm wide carbon rims setup, and trying to use my 7800 brakes or kcnc cb1s didn't work very well. I tried switching to the narrower black prince evo, which gives me about 1.5-2mm total room to work with, but its not ideal and it means my levers have pretty much no pull before they contact, and I can't adjust that without just creating loose cable which feels awful.

I'm running sram red shifters, so I'd prefer to stay away from new(ish) shimano pull ratio brakes if I can (or maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills and its fine), but I'll run em if I have to. I know the TRP 979EQ fit a pretty wide rim and are a reasonable weight, but those are setup for shimano. Anybody have any other suggestions? I'm told the EE brake can work with 28mm rims, but I don't necessarily have a spare 500 dollars sitting around right now.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I went with Tririg Omegas with my 28mm wide carbon rims and they have been fantastic. No more shaving pads for me. I could not get rid of the squeal with my Force calipers and shaved pads but there is no noise with the Omega's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

New Ciamillos but they are $$$ too, and they are Ciamillo.

William42

by William42

Thanks for the responses! I don’t have any experience with the Ciamillos but the customer service thing is a bit of a scare. Anybody have any comparison between the tririgs and ee brakes? I can have them at a similar price. I’m also wondering about whether or not those Planet X brakes have enough clearance since they’re way less expensive (1/4 the price)