Rim brakes for wide carbon rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

William42

by William42

I just got some 25mm wide carbon rims setup, and trying to use my 7800 brakes or kcnc cb1s didn't work very well. I tried switching to the narrower black prince evo, which gives me about 1.5-2mm total room to work with, but its not ideal and it means my levers have pretty much no pull before they contact, and I can't adjust that without just creating loose cable which feels awful.

I'm running sram red shifters, so I'd prefer to stay away from new(ish) shimano pull ratio brakes if I can (or maybe I'm making mountains out of mole hills and its fine), but I'll run em if I have to. I know the TRP 979EQ fit a pretty wide rim and are a reasonable weight, but those are setup for shimano. Anybody have any other suggestions? I'm told the EE brake can work with 28mm rims, but I don't necessarily have a spare 500 dollars sitting around right now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I went with Tririg Omegas with my 28mm wide carbon rims and they have been fantastic. No more shaving pads for me. I could not get rid of the squeal with my Force calipers and shaved pads but there is no noise with the Omega's.

Marin

by Marin

New Ciamillos but they are $$$ too, and they are Ciamillo.

William42

by William42

Thanks for the responses! I don’t have any experience with the Ciamillos but the customer service thing is a bit of a scare. Anybody have any comparison between the tririgs and ee brakes? I can have them at a similar price. I’m also wondering about whether or not those Planet X brakes have enough clearance since they’re way less expensive (1/4 the price)