Does Shimano suggest bluetooth module (Di2) be installed externally?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

My mechanic installed the bluetooth module outside my aero bar. He told me Shimano recommends external install to avoid signal interference. Can anyone confirm this? BTW my other two bikes have the BT module installed internally with no issues.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes they recommend external... mine currently is external, but yes I've had the older ones all internal with no issues.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

If you install it internally I’d recommend to take it out during FW updates to avoid possible BLE dropouts.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

kode54

by kode54

generally, yes. they give you clips to mount alongside brake cable housing. works internally with carbon frames. not much so with titanium or steel frames (weak BT signal).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Andres

by Andres

They recommend that, but it also ruins the look of the "all internal" thing they're trying to achieve. I've done multiple builds with a very short e-tube from the seatpost battery to the wireles unit, and one from the unit to the internal junction without any issues. I also haven't found it to rattle in this position.

Finx

by Finx

On my carbon bikes, I've run mine inside the top tube with no issues. I didn't even try it on my Ti bike. I don't really need Dfly while I'm riding much, so on the rare chance I need bluetooth, I'll just plug in the WU inline on the RD until the update is done, then remove it again.

Honestly though, I've had enough weird issues with the bluetooth software on my IPad that I don't even bother with it any more.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

Finx wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:35 pm
On my carbon bikes, I've run mine inside the top tube with no issues. I didn't even try it on my Ti bike. I don't really need Dfly while I'm riding much, so on the rare chance I need bluetooth, I'll just plug in the WU inline on the RD until the update is done, then remove it again.

Honestly though, I've had enough weird issues with the bluetooth software on my IPad that I don't even bother with it any more.
You make a valid point. I was so excited to get it when it came out, but the eTube app is just garbage. So slow and unintuitive. It's still loaded internally, and I had initially thought about including it on my new build, but I'm not of the mind that I'll exclude it. The only real advantage seems to be for Mac users and if one's traveling.