Ultra torque BB30 68x46mm questions..

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

I have a creaking BB... Ultratorque cranks installed in Campagnolo PF30 68x46mm cups (note: not 68x42mm). I installed the cups using loctite 242 with loctite SF 7649 primer.

I will get some new cups and reinstall them - I guess I will need to use a stronger fixing compound and/or a void filling compound?

Questions:

- What tool do I use to remove Campy 68x46mm cups? E.g., this one: https://www.parktool.com/product/press- ... %20Bracket
or perhaps this? : https://www.parktool.com/product/bottom ... %20Bracket
Or are there cheaper alternatives?

- I assume that the cups will be reasonably easy to remove with the proper tool, given that loctite 242 is only a medium strength fixer?

- Perhaps most importantly - what should I use to fix in the new cups that will guarantee creak-free operation? Should I be thinking mostly about adhesion strength or void-filling?

MediumSizedMonster

by MediumSizedMonster

Praxis makes some threaded BB alternatives that people seem to like, though I personally haven’t tried them.

Should be able to find them on the website pretty easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

neeb

by neeb

I've thought about threaded BB alternatives but AFAIK they all add quite a lot of weight. I get the idea that 100g is worth it for creak-free operation, but I sort of feel that having spent money on a light frame I shouldn't have to nullify that by using a non-stamdard BB option! :-)

corky

by corky

Are you sure it’s the cups? .....try adding a second wave washer and grease with some really thick grease something like copper slip.

neeb

by neeb

Thanks, might try that first.

Do you mean "are you sutre it's the cups as opposed to the crank / cups interface?" Good point, I hadn't really been thinking of the two seperately.

corky

by corky

Yeah I had a problem with a creak on a Storck, replaced the cups and bonded them in with the appropriate primer and loctite cement, but this only temporarily removed the creak click.......so did some reading and learnt that sometimes noises can occur due to the wave washer moving inside of the cups when side loads are applied ie. everybody’s pedal stroke. ‘The Rogue Mechanic’ (google it) suggested doing away with the wave washer and shimming any play with washers, someone else suggested doubling up the wave washer, I tried 2 and then 3. 3 was no good andcaused binding.
......2 worked and together with finish line copper slip grease normally used to stop galling with TI interfaces, my creak and click noises have beeen eliminated

Good luck

neeb

by neeb

Worth a try, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com