Which handlebar fold buy to increase comfort

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

AFAIK the FSA K-Wing bars have also a riser top section, albeit not so much - maybe 5 mm?
The older Road Compact bars had drop/reach of 125/80 mm, but those aren't produced anymore.
The newer model is called AGX and is primarily focused at gravel. Drop/reach 115/75 mm. Might be also an option to consider.
But I have no idea about their vibration dampening capabilities.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

Hi Stitchking,

The conclusion was that, among all the components in the load path to the hands (as opposed to the buttocks), the handlebar transmits the most vibration, followed by the fork.

As you would expect, the light carbon bars transmitted the least vibration, and heavier aluminum bars the most.

Cheers,
Damon
Last edited by DamonRinard on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

2lo8

by 2lo8

I would have thought that tires and handlebar tape would have the most impact on vibration transfered to the hands.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

a little hint for those, who do not have access to the article:

http://sci-hub.tw/

Just copy the URL of the article on the page of the journal.. :)

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 014-0168-9

robertbb

by robertbb

Question: If carbon really was the panacea for comfort and reduced buzz that the industry has claimed, why are companies dropping seatpost clamps into seat stays, putting in rubber inserts, iso-decouplers, basalt fibers...?

Answer: Because carbon is *not* the golden arrow.

Alloy bikes of today are loads more comfortable than those of the past. Why? Because it's about tube shape, thickness and positioning way moreso than anything else.

I use the alloy Specialized Hover bars (+15mm rise) on two bikes: an alloy Canyon ultimate ALX and an carbon Ultimate CF SLX.

I chose the bars mainly because of my body - I have long legs and a shorter torso. The bars allow me to reach easier, but have another benefit that I think is useful and less recognised - my damn knees don't hit the underside of my bars when I'm out of the saddle climbing, but still allow me to keep the stem a bit lower on the steerer. It was that or a more endurance frame which I didn't want, or a bunch of spacers which I didn't want either.

Anyway, I find these bars to be very comfortable, because the bend in the bar inadvertently prevents noise and vibration from propagating along the bar to my hands. I don't know what the scientific explanation is, but it works. Go find a straight pipe, pick it up at one end, hit the tip of other end on the ground and you'll feel it vibrate a certain amount. Now put two 90 degree bends in the pipe and repeat - you'll find the buzz that makes it through is significantly reduced/deadened.

PS: Because this is WW: the bars weigh 277g. I've weighed the carbon s-works model at 210g.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

2lo8 wrote:I would have thought that tires and handlebar tape would have the most impact on vibration transfered to the hands.
Well, that depends on a day. Industry keep brainwashing us with their non-sense. One day they sell us grams, next day they sell us comfort. Just sit back, enjoy your espresso or tasty beer and reflect on bicycle. Simple machine that brings us joy since 1903. I’m a firm believer in wider supple tires that contribute to 95% of comfort. If your focus is to improve comfort and reduce vibration then start with tires. Santini is pushing the envelope with revolutionary bib, where carving technology chamois does reduce vibration with anti-shock silicone gel.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mattr

by mattr

2lo8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 am
I would have thought that tires and handlebar tape would have the most impact on vibration transfered to the hands.
Depends on when the report was written, and how far they looked into the system.
If it was more than 3~5 years ago, most would have assumed 23mm at 7 bar for the tyres.
Also, bar tape is cheap and easy to replace, plus there are many more types/versions/brands available than bars/forks. Might just have made the experiement too expensive/complex.

Also depends what frequencies they decided to look at.

mattr

by mattr

robertbb wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:00 am
Question: If carbon really was the panacea for comfort and reduced buzz that the industry has claimed, why are companies dropping seatpost clamps into seat stays, putting in rubber inserts, iso-decouplers, basalt fibers...?

Answer: Because carbon is *not* the golden arrow.
It could be. But they have multiple conflicting requirements, stiff, aero, comfort pick 2. (To paraphrase very badly :wink: )

robertbb wrote:
Anyway, I find these bars to be very comfortable, because the bend in the bar inadvertently prevents noise and vibration from propagating along the bar to my hands. I don't know what the scientific explanation is, but it works. Go find a straight pipe, pick it up at one end, hit the tip of other end on the ground and you'll feel it vibrate a certain amount. Now put two 90 degree bends in the pipe and repeat - you'll find the buzz that makes it through is significantly reduced/deadened.
Fairly standard technique from what little work i've done on piping design, adding the odd kink removes all sorts of vibrations, rushing noise, hammering and so on. BUT in process pipework it adds back pressure and somewhere for "stuff" to accumulate, so you have to minimise it. Not a problem with handlebars (as long as you can maintain the strength).
robertbb wrote:
PS: Because this is WW: the bars weigh 277g. I've weighed the carbon s-works model at 210g.
And thats the one thing i never compromised on for weight, comfort. I have heavy saddles, bars and (used to have) pedals. So i could get all my contact points spot on. Now i can get light pedals that support decent biomechanics. (BUt i'm not a weight weenie anymore.......)

nachetetm

by nachetetm

They have been mentioned already, Specialized hover alloy is perfect for what you are looking for. I have the "gravel" version, with a bit of flare and less drop (I think it's 103mm drop, 70mm reach and 15 mm raise, 12° of flare). I also suffer from poor back elasticity and neck pain and this handlebar was the best change I did to my bike by a long distance. The shape fits my hands much better and the raise+shallow drop made my ride on the drops so much more enjoyable than the previous Ritchey classic. On top of that, the angle that the flare gives to the levers positions my wrists in a much more comfortable angle for long rides. An the ice of the cake is the price, they are quite affordable. If I were you I would give them a try. People will complain they look ugly, but who cares when they add so my comfort?

mattr

by mattr

Just position your bike computer/lights in the dip, no one will ever know ;)

Might need a bigger computer though :?

dedobike

by dedobike

nachetetm wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:52 am
They have been mentioned already, Specialized hover alloy is perfect for what you are looking for. I have the "gravel" version, with a bit of flare and less drop (I think it's 103mm drop, 70mm reach and 15 mm raise, 12° of flare). I also suffer from poor back elasticity and neck pain and this handlebar was the best change I did to my bike by a long distance. The shape fits my hands much better and the raise+shallow drop made my ride on the drops so much more enjoyable than the previous Ritchey classic. On top of that, the angle that the flare gives to the levers positions my wrists in a much more comfortable angle for long rides. An the ice of the cake is the price, they are quite affordable. If I were you I would give them a try. People will complain they look ugly, but who cares when they add so my comfort?
The aerofly model with 25mm rise is very similar right?

robertbb

by robertbb

mattr wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:10 am
Just position your bike computer/lights in the dip, no one will ever know ;)

Might need a bigger computer though :?
Exactly. A small knog frog (or similar) in the lower bendy bit either side of the stem actually looks way better than lights bulging out of the top of handlebars and makes the whole set-up flush. A computer on the stem looks a bit more flush too (though I still have mine out front).

And these bars are AU$80

I also take the tiniest dollop of paint thinner with a sponge and the (already minimal) decals literally wipe right off so it's very nondescript. The reach/drop and curve is very modern too and works well with small hands. My campy 11 levers work well with these and I'd imagine other brands' levers would too.

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

2lo8 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:54 am
Hi 2lo8,

Sorry, I should have mentioned those were not variables in that study.

Tires were examined previously, and the same research group continues to study them.
The hand vibration was measured at the brake hood, not touching any handlebar tape.

Cheers,
Damon
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

AJS914

by AJS914

dedobike wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, same concept. What are you really trying to figure out? If you want to try more stack height for your back then buy one of these riser bars and try it out. Or, flip your stem and have it slope upwards.

dedobike

by dedobike

AJS914 wrote:
dedobike wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:23 am

Yeah, same concept. What are you really trying to figure out? If you want to try more stack height for your back then buy one of these riser bars and try it out. Or, flip your stem and have it slope upwards.
I would remove some width and have a broader range of positioning. The thing that pleases less than the folding handlebar aerofly is the 13cm drop is not very compact

Inviato dal mio EML-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com