Which handlebar fold buy to increase comfort

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

The aerofly is designed for the Venge which is a full on race bike. The Hover bar might be more appropriate.

dedobike

by dedobike

AJS914 wrote:The aerofly is designed for the Venge which is a full on race bike. The Hover bar might be more appropriate.
But the hover was designed for the Roubaix I also saw that there is a more generic version of the model AeroFly so I think you can also use on tarmac. I like it better

Inviato dal mio EML-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dedobike

by dedobike

Sorry if I return to the subject but as far as the safety of materials, the 25mm laugh has a negative effect? Is it easier for the handlebars to break? However in the end I decided to order it to mount it on my tarmac sl6

WheelNut

by WheelNut

Why not just get a high rise stem like this one? https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5021-134/ ... -35-degree
Or you could get an adjustable stem, position the bars to your liking and then a buy fixed stem or bar with rise that matches that position. Going straight to an expensive carbon bar seems like a bad way to go about figuring this problem out. Really, the best thing to do might be to find a good bike fitter and get a fit assessment and then you will know where your bars need to be placed and you can just purchase the appropriate parts to get the bar into that position.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Of course I meant the material with reference to my first reply. I still maintain because my hands like all of yours rest on the bar tape most of the time that bar material is not worth worrying about. Get the bar shape that's right for you.

On my commute bike I switched from sub 209g deda carbon bars to 300+g nitto bars. Do I notice a difference in comfort, can I heck. Why the position is good and that's what matters most. The bike does use 28mm tubeless tyres at pressures under 80psi though.

Now the op is asking us what shape bar will work best for him. Well how can we know. That depends on his overall position, how flexible he is. I don't even know if he is a he.

Hense the op needs to work this one out themselves. I cant help with bike fit remotely and neither can any one else remotely.

If the op can't work this out don't start buying bars or other parts blind. The issue may be in the stem, it could be saddle height or the bars...

The op should visit a bike fitter if there comfort issues when riding. Forums are helpful but there is a limit to what can be advised too.

AJS914

by AJS914

Well, the OP seems to want to add stack with a riser bar because of his back issues. To me it's way easier to flip a regular stem up to see if greater stack helps. One can also buy an inexpensive used stem on ebay to experiment. Maybe he's already has his stem flipped up and wants even more stack? He hasn't told us a lot or shown us photos of his current setup so it's hard to tell. The Aerofly handlebar with such a deep drop doesn't seem like the best bar since it has such a deep drop but maybe he plans to never use the drops? And, with the $300 price tag on the Aerofly it's an expensive bar to experiment with.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

IMHO you should be able to ride in the drops for at least 30 minutes without back or neck strain. If you experience back or neck strain then you need to find a way to raise your bars, by putting a higher stem on or raisng the stem if the steerer hasn't been cut or by increasing your mobility by doing stretching exercises or yoga etc.

The reason is that you really need to be in the drops during descents as there is more braking power and modulation availble lower on the lever if used from the drop position. I don't go much slower on my Roubaix than my Fuji SL, because on my Roubaix despite the bar position being higher I can comfortably ride in the drops all day, whereas on my SL I'm limited to the time I can comfortably ride in the drops due to the lower position. Of course the SL is a bit quicker in higher speed situations, but its very marginal.

robertbb

by robertbb

bm0p700f wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:49 pm

On my commute bike I switched from sub 209g deda carbon bars to 300+g nitto bars. Do I notice a difference in comfort, can I heck.
Does this mean you did, or didn't notice a difference in comfort? (Sorry, maybe a slang thing?)

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I had a similar pains with my stiff CX bike being used as a road bike. I’d get a sore back despite being in a decent fit range. Changing the seat post to a flexible one helped (not an option for you), tilting the saddle a few degrees forward helped (see if the saddle rails are level rather than the saddle itself ), and bars with a lot of deflection helped (3t Ergonova)
Last edited by jfranci3 on Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

No, no difference in comfort. My English is fine, if your English.

robertbb

by robertbb

Thanks for clarifying! Same as my experience.

By the way to the OP and anyone interested, Ritchey looks like they're launching two new road bars similar to the Specialized hover ideas called an ERGOMAX.

It'll have +10mm rise, a 4 degree sweep on top (similar to the evocurve) and a compact reach of 73mm and short drop of 128mm.

https://www.bike24.com/p2283770.html

That is a comp level one. I found a WCS level one at another German site but it has since disappeared. Probably won't be too long!

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Anyone know of an aero-profile bar (big flat surface) with some good sweep (drops angled out). I have an Easton aero, which has 4deg, but I'm looking for more without going full Woodchipper. Looking for rotation, not flare

I found the FSA AGX on Amazon warehouse for cheap. I've got it, and Im dissappointed to see that it has near zero sweep, but does have some nice finger dents in the curve.
3t gravel bar, but it only comes in huge and 40cm - I need 42c-to-c up top.
Zipp has 4deg in everything
Pro has 0
Bontrager has ?
Enve has ?-small

TheRich

by TheRich

Bontrager is 4deg as well.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Thanks Rich. I think the Giant Revolt d-fuse bar might work, going to have a look.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:18 pm

Enve has ?-small
Hmm, i'm a bit confuse. I know Enve has 12 degree flare. More than anything you listed so far.
The 40cm size is actually 40cm in drop but 35cm on the hood.
So 44cm size maybe more appropriate for you with 39cm hood, 44cm drop. But again that's flare... Not sweep.
AFAIK, flare and sweep difference is only for the shifter clamp angle, right? If it is flare the bend start early and shifter calmps are tilted too. If it is sweep, the bend outward angle start lower than the clamp area so the shifter stay straight. Is that what you looking for?

For the *sweep*... then
maybe Zipp SL-70 XPLR (5deg flare, 11deg sweep) and Pro Discover seems to have some sweep, but again, those don't have aero profile.