Upgrading Crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sourncream

by sourncream

I have Shimano FC-RS510 50-34 and i found a good deal of Shimano 105 50-34 with a price of 400 dkk ( 63 usd )
and i don't know if it's worth it to upgrade since i have Shimano 105 FD and RD

is it worth upgrading ? thanks in advance guys !

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

If your 105 stuff is old and you might upgrade it in the near future I would hold off to do all of it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

sourncream wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:48 pm
I have Shimano FC-RS510 50-34 and i found a good deal of Shimano 105 50-34 with a price of 400 dkk ( 63 usd )
and i don't know if it's worth it to upgrade since i have Shimano 105 FD and RD

is it worth upgrading ? thanks in advance guys !
Spend a little more and get an Ultegra 6800 or even Dura Ace 9000 instead.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Decide first what groupset level you would like to end up. Then you can check second hand market and slowly move towards it, getting parts as they become available at a good deal.

But just upgrading for the sake of upgrading or a "gut feeling", is probably a bad idea which will end up in wasted money and unnecessary intermediary upgrades. Try to go straight to your goal.

If you are new to cycling you really shouldn't spend any money on parts until you know your commitment level. I can promise that a 105 group can literally humiliate maaaany ultgra/duraace riders out there. If you get dropped or passed it's not because you have 105 but because the other guy trains harder.

Learn how to set up your bike. Read the installation manual. Do some checks. Make sure everything spins and shifts nicely. If you have any gritty bearings then they can be replaced or serviced. Clean your chain and lube it properly.

Are you looking for speed then work on your training/position.

Shimano groupsets can usually be moved to new frames quite easily. Whatever you upgrade to now could later be moved to a new frame and then you will need all your old parts to restore the old frame. So if you know your commitment level you can hunt for some duraace9000 parts and later use them on a new frame.

Best performance bang for the buck is ultegra and I can promise you that the differences to duraace will never lose you any race position unless it lacks maintenance.

/a

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Trust me when I say this. It’ll be easier and more satisfying to upgrade a groupset all at once

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I'd opt for an UltraTorque chainset. Reliable, silent, narrow, nice, light.

I never had knocks or any suspicious sound with UT, the bearings last for ages (and can be changed for 5.5 USD in pairs. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-6805N-2RS ... 2095118535 .) . My mates with shimano chainsets always complain about clicks and noises.. :)
Last edited by vejnemojnen on Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattr

by mattr

Your mates need to find better bike shops.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

This is my personal opinion, but I for one think a casual rider replacing cranks when everything else remains the same makes sense, if the new one is indeed a powermeter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cranks get lighter as you spend more but they are not really an upgrade in terms of helping you go faster. They have to be pretty shite not to shift well. The chain rings on cheap cranks are worth upgrading for improved life. For Shimano kit, 105 us as good as it is gets. Dura ace is just lighter.