2016 pearl white Allez Sprint build!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jih

by jih

Ah right, if it is full length housing it might need a little pulling through and adjusting then so there's less of the outer in the frame-handlebars loop, and more in the frame-brake loop. And yeah, just take that ferrule out - some brakes need them, some don't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

jih wrote:Ah right, if it is full length housing it might need a little pulling through and adjusting then so there's less of the outer in the frame-handlebars loop, and more in the frame-brake loop. And yeah, just take that ferrule out - some brakes need them, some don't.
Prob hit that up tonight. Was hoping the shop could do it for me when I checked to see if I just needed a different ferrule but they wanted $20 each caliper to just take the one off and replace the cable end....f that!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

There ya goImageImage

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

That second pic looks good. If that shop built the bike to begin with and they wanted $20 each caliper to remove the cable ends, I'd stop going to that shop.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

IrrelevantD wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:52 pm
That second pic looks good. If that shop built the bike to begin with and they wanted $20 each caliper to remove the cable ends, I'd stop going to that shop.
Can i be goldilocks? looks too short to me.
Somewhere between the 2 i'd consider sweetspot.
Agreed about the shop
Official cafe stop tester

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

jekyll man wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:57 pm
IrrelevantD wrote:
Can i be goldilocks? looks too short to me.
Somewhere between the 2 i'd consider sweetspot.
Agreed about the shop
Honestly, with it being full housing, mine usually ends up about exactly where his is anyway on it's own. I have mine cut just long enough that the housing barely touches the head tube when the bars get turned right all the way arround to the top tube. That's the nice thing about it being full housing is the slack moves pretty freely betwen the back and the front as needed. When I hang my bike, it gets a bit more slack in the back, by the time I finish a long ride with a few stops, it's just like in the picture above.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

IrrelevantD wrote:
I got the bike from another shop. This is a new shop that I go to for my parts etc who wanted $20 labor each caliper to take the ferruls off. Seemed pretty steep considering it took me 5min to do front and back on my own.

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe they didn't quite understand what needed to be done? I think it's a fine line for shops between doing freebies on small jobs and keeping the doors open. Sometimes those 5 minute jobs turn into 15 or 20 and then you spend 10 minutes talking to the customer and ringing them up and there went 1/2 hour. Maybe for $20/caliper they would have readjusted brake pads and all that?

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

AJS914 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:42 pm
Maybe they didn't quite understand what needed to be done? I think it's a fine line for shops between doing freebies on small jobs and keeping the doors open. Sometimes those 5 minute jobs turn into 15 or 20 and then you spend 10 minutes talking to the customer and ringing them up and there went 1/2 hour. Maybe for $20/caliper they would have readjusted brake pads and all that?
I am not sure...if it would've cost me $10-15 I would've just had them do it there just to support the shop. That is the reason I brought it in just to establish a relationship. Just in parts I've spent a nice chunk I would like to think this year.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would just shrug that off as a misunderstanding but, really, one should do their own 5 minute jobs if it doesn't require special tools or knowledge. I think it's hard for a shop to book and charge appropriately for 5 minute jobs. They either drop what they are doing and do it on the spot, maybe for free, or they book a service call, take your bike, and do it in order of the work they have lined up. If they do the later the customer will be unhappy for them taking the bike for a 5 minute job. If they do the former they lose time and money on all the freebies. It's a fine line and the $10/hr. dude at the counter may have not knowing that you spend a grand there in the last six months.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

AJS914 wrote:I would just shrug that off as a misunderstanding but, really, one should do their own 5 minute jobs if it doesn't require special tools or knowledge. I think it's hard for a shop to book and charge appropriately for 5 minute jobs. They either drop what they are doing and do it on the spot, maybe for free, or they book a service call, take your bike, and do it in order of the work they have lined up. If they do the later the customer will be unhappy for them taking the bike for a 5 minute job. If they do the former they lose time and money on all the freebies. It's a fine line and the $10/hr. dude at the counter may have not knowing that you spend a grand there in the last six months.
Yeah im fine with it and it is somewhat expected was just hoping for a quick fix and bring my bike in since I shop there frequently.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Got a new seat I wanna try out. S-Works Power Arc...landed it for 125 shipped!!! Have to see if I like this more than my power expert . Also got a K-Edge for my garmin. ImageImageImageImageImage

Sock3t

by Sock3t

Did you get the specific seat rail mounts for the carbon rails also? Because it looks like you reused the alloy rail mounts...That's going to lead to a bad day.

07stuntin6r

by 07stuntin6r

Sock3t wrote:Did you get the specific seat rail mounts for the carbon rails also? Because it looks like you reused the alloy rail mounts...That's going to lead to a bad day.

Didnt known I needed those. You mean oval mounts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Some versions of the seatpin need a different clamp for different rail materials.

Others come with a universal one that can be rotated to mate up with either 7x9 or round.