Stelbel Rodano Disc or Kinesis GF Ti. Bespoke Steel vs. Titanium. Second, endurance bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Sleepless

by Sleepless

For the same amount of money, the choice is clear. It's custom and probably going to last a lifetime.
Attachments
ORG_DSC01436.jpg

Marin

by Marin

And that's on a T47 shell whose only advantage is more space for internal cabling...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

flying wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:07 am
What a lovely problem/decision to have to make :beerchug:

I have no direct experience with either but have found myself many times drooling over Stelbels pics :wink:

The only thing I wince at is the lower cable routing :noidea:

Stelbel_SB03-31.jpg
I guess this is not the best looking solution, but if I get the Stelbel, I'm already decided that I'm going for external cable routing. (of course if I will not got for Di2)

The reason I'm constantly postponing to service the cables on my Giant is the internal routing. I want this second bike built as easy as possible.

genzowakabayashi

by genzowakabayashi

Didn't know that you're sensible about external cabling. Then Rodano is the correct choice for you.

msferrari

by msferrari

First Hello everyone,

I have a rim brake Stelbel Rodano since June. I use 27c tyres and Campy Super Record with Shamal Mille 15cs. Stelbel Rodano is my first steel bike but what an amazing bike it is. Last weekend I tried it at Istanbul's bad roads and bike was immmense. It was so comfortable on the bad roads and it climbs fast as my climbing bike Orbea Orca OMR at 3.5 km climb. It can't accelarate fast as carbon but it can stabilise its speed easy as carbon at climbing.

In descending even on bad roads Stelbel Rodano is a very easy bike. As for my bike with 27cs it goes effortlessly. I didn't have a chance to ride a Kinesis GF Tİ so I don't say a word about a bike I don't know. I have three bikes, one is aero, one is a climbing frame and a bespoke Steel Stelbel. My both bikes have different strengths. What I love about Stelbel is, it can match my Orca in a lot of ways except accelaration but more comfortable and better and descends. Also it has a speed defict to my Aero frame as it should but it is same as my Orbea. Also Stelbel is awesome for commuting, I hate my carbon bikes for that but its on their nature. They intent to just go fast not being to comfortable.

İt goes awesome for long distance rides too. Only negative thing can be external cable routing but I like it. It makes bike look little retro than other Stelbels. It doesn't make things easier for me but this is how it is on a Rodano. If you want things more modern for Stelbel, I think you should look for a SB/03 disc. Also I forgot to add if you don't ride in gravel with 35cs you don't need a disc brake Rodano. Rim brake can handle paves or bad road very easily on a 27c tyres.
Attachments
YDQS9336.JPG

flying

by flying

ToffieBoi wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:11 am
I guess this is not the best looking solution, but if I get the Stelbel, I'm already decided that I'm going for external cable routing. (of course if I will not got for Di2)

The reason I'm constantly postponing to service the cables on my Giant is the internal routing. I want this second bike built as easy as possible.
I agree...older I get the more I revert back to things from before as I realize the tiny gains
were not worth the added headache for me.

So I agree external routing is very easy to service.

I saw another Stelbel disc pic today & did not like how they use zip ties..I think?.. to secure the rear disc hose to chainstays.
I would have thought a better solution possible at this price point
38634443_1003152879846124_6810614784698875904_o.jpg

zank

by zank

Well, you could do closed loops. But it is nice to have some slack to move the caliper around when bleeding the brakes. I do either, but most customers want zip tie guides on the chainstay for simplicity.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

flying wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:54 pm
I saw another Stelbel disc pic today & did not like how they use zip ties..I think?.. to secure the rear disc hose to chainstays.
I would have thought a better solution possible at this price point
Most likely you could remove the zip ties and use the same bosses to attach a C-clip like these from Jagwire:

https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/c-clip-guide

flying

by flying

MayhemSWE wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:07 am
Most likely you could remove the zip ties and use the same bosses to attach a C-clip like these from Jagwire:

https://jagwire.com/products/small-parts/c-clip-guide
That is much better :thumbup:

You know if not cut off perfectly zip ties can be deadly when washing the bike :D