Cannondale SuperSix Evo budget build.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Robbu

by Robbu

I have been on this website a while now but have never actually posted, now i have some free time before i start Univeristy i thought why not start my own thread with my very own Cannondale. I dont have lots of money to spend so i know that the bike will not be one that everyone looks at and wants but i aim to make it as light as i can for the money i have whilst keeping other factors i want such as reliability.

Due to my old bike being stolen i did not have a bike to ride whilst gradually building this one up so i rushed the build and used the best parts i could find at the time without thinking about weight. Therefore i am now having to upgrade parts after the bike has been built. Below is the list of current parts, some upgraded some not.
Attachments
Pasted Graphic.jpg
Last edited by Robbu on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Robbu

by Robbu

Here are some current pictures of the bike, I am currently looking for some lighter wheels aswell as a carbon saddle. However I am unsure whether to go for a bare carbon saddle or a padded one, i think i may try a cheap chinese carbon saddle and see how i get on with that. As for wheels i as leaning towards a wheel with alloy brake tracks as i am not the best descender.

Feel free to let me know of any other upgrades you can think of as im sure there are plenty more. :D
Attachments
IMG_0350.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
IMG_0354.JPG
IMG_0356.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG
Last edited by Robbu on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

I would change wheels to something lighter and with black brake track and black/no branding..white decals of current wheels are too much for my taste:)

refthimos

by refthimos

Robbu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm
[...]now i have some free time before i start Univeristy i thought why not start my own thread with my very own Cannondale. I dont have lots of money to spend so i know that the bike will not be one that everyone looks at and wants but i aim to make it as light as i can for the money i have whilst keeping other factors i want such as reliability.
Kudos to you for keeping the bike and your build in perspective. As a young man, "investing" in depreciating assets is something best done in great moderation. And don't worry about what anyone else thinks looks best or would want on their bike, it's your bike not theirs and if we didn't all have different tastes the word would be a bland place indeed.

One thing you might want to do on your build sheet it to include two columns, one with the current component and one with your target/potential component. Calculate the weight delta for each as well as the cost, then create a third $/gram column, and that will tell you where your low-hanging fruit is.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Stitchking

by Stitchking

You could definitely end the bar wrap a lot further away from the stem, like 25-35mm each side minimum.

Also from the photos it looks like you have a lot of excessive cable outer on the front of the bike. Shorten that up close to the bare minimum.

Free gains are the best gains.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Robbu

by Robbu

hannawald wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:43 pm
I would change wheels to something lighter and with black brake track and black/no branding..white decals of current wheels are too much for my taste:)
I will be sure to take that into account when looking for suitable wheels. This might be a stupid question but i dont recall seeing many black aluminium brake tracks, are these the ones you can find on the mavic ksyrium and some Hed wheels?
refthimos wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:10 pm
Robbu wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:19 pm
[...]now i have some free time before i start Univeristy i thought why not start my own thread with my very own Cannondale. I dont have lots of money to spend so i know that the bike will not be one that everyone looks at and wants but i aim to make it as light as i can for the money i have whilst keeping other factors i want such as reliability.
Kudos to you for keeping the bike and your build in perspective. As a young man, "investing" in depreciating assets is something best done in great moderation. And don't worry about what anyone else thinks looks best or would want on their bike, it's your bike not theirs and if we didn't all have different tastes the word would be a bland place indeed.

One thing you might want to do on your build sheet it to include two columns, one with the current component and one with your target/potential component. Calculate the weight delta for each as well as the cost, then create a third $/gram column, and that will tell you where your low-hanging fruit is.
Thanks man, below is the new update build sheet as you suggested, i aim to target the areas on the right that are listed. (I have also updates the original post)
Stitchking wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:08 pm
You could definitely end the bar wrap a lot further away from the stem, like 25-35mm each side minimum.

Also from the photos it looks like you have a lot of excessive cable outer on the front of the bike. Shorten that up close to the bare minimum.

Free gains are the best gains.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I will be sure to have a look at the bar tape and short the cable outers, i had left them like that as i have only just decided on the length of my stem and width of my handlebars.
Attachments
Pasted Graphic.jpg

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How many km have you put into this frame personally?

/a

dastott

by dastott

Looks very nice. Obviously slamming the stem and cutting the excess off the fork would be something to consider. Skewers would be my first stop, something more aero and lighter.

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Dope bike fam

What was your budget for this build?

hannawald

by hannawald

There are more wheels with black alu brake track, for example Fulcrum Zero Nite or slightly cheaper and tubeless ready (recommend) DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut 21 Oxic.. they both have good reviews, you will see where you get some bargain, season is getting to the end..

Robbu

by Robbu

alcatraz wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:26 am
How many km have you put into this frame personally?

/a
Im not entirely sure if i am honest, when i bought the frame second hand it was in pristine condition and had only done a few miles. Aswell as this I have not done as much riding as i have been wanting to do due to having my A-levels this year so i cannot imagine the bike have cover a large amount.
dastott wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:08 am
Looks very nice. Obviously slamming the stem and cutting the excess off the fork would be something to consider. Skewers would be my first stop, something more aero and lighter.
Yes i am planning on gradually slamming the stem with time but i am not sure about cutting the fork incase i wish to resell the fork or entire frameset in the future. On the hunt for some skewers now. :)
gramsqueen wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:02 am
Dope bike fam

What was your budget for this build?
Thanks man, I dont have a set number but throughout the build I have tried to stay relatively sensible and to save money where i can, for example i managed to pick up a Fizik Cyrano 00 Carbon Road Handlebar for £55 which saved me around £210 of retail price.
hannawald wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:22 am
There are more wheels with black alu brake track, for example Fulcrum Zero Nite or slightly cheaper and tubeless ready (recommend) DT Swiss PR 1400 Dicut 21 Oxic.. they both have good reviews, you will see where you get some bargain, season is getting to the end..
Thanks, I will look into this now, the one problem with alloy braking surfaces for me was the colour! :lol:

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Ride more before upgrading. Reading reviews make you think you'll be much faster/comfier/smoother but it's all maginal.

Just keep the stuff you already have working well with maintenance. It won't hold you back.

The later you upgrade the better educated will your choices be.

I don't mean never but put at least 5000km, replace a chain, before upgrading stuff.

I think your bike is already at a killer balance point with little compromise with performance. To take it to a higher point will be costly and the diffirnces marginal. It wouldn't result in increased speed.

dastott

by dastott

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:52 am
Ride more before upgrading. Reading reviews make you think you'll be much faster/comfier/smoother but it's all maginal.

Just keep the stuff you already have working well with maintenance. It won't hold you back.

The later you upgrade the better educated will your choices be.

I don't mean never but put at least 5000km, replace a chain, before upgrading stuff.

I think your bike is already at a killer balance point with little compromise with performance. To take it to a higher point will be costly and the diffirnces marginal. It wouldn't result in increased speed.
Wise words. As the owner of same generation SS Evo HM myself, it already looks like a well optimised build. Vredstein latex tubes are a little lighter at around 50g. If you change wheels, for around $500 you could get some 990g skinny Farsports carbon tubulars and use them for hillclimb races and PR attempts on steep climbs. Otherwise, what you already have looks very solid.

Robbu

by Robbu

Thanks for the advice guys, I think i will make small upgrades that dont cost alot just for now and i will hold of on any serious spending for now. I have ordered some small parts that should be arriving soon, i will keep the thread updated. :)

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

Robbu wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:31 pm
i managed to pick up a Fizik Cyrano 00 Carbon Road Handlebar for £55 which saved me around £210 of retail price.
Where?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com