Colnago C64 budget build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Lordgun is selling Potenza at 660 €. I guess similar pricing would be available from the usual German and British shops. There’s no better bang for the buck nor it’s function will not match the frame.

maxice

by maxice

Calnago wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:45 pm
It’s true that a 28mm conti 4000sii clincher on a wide rim could easily be too big for a C64, depending on the particular rim. Tubular, no problem. But clincher/rim combos can be all over the place. The 28mm spec is really an actual safe width with adequate clearance all round. I tested this out pretty carefully when playing around with a C64. The thing is, why on earth would you ever want to go bigger than that on a bike like this. I’ve run 27mm Vlanderens at 80psi, a bit less up front, just to test things out and really... while soft and cushy they really aren’t what I would ride on decent roads with a nice road bike. 25mm tubulars are still my tire of choice for that.

Re the C60, no, you’re not going to get a 28mm Conti 4000sii clincher in there. Even a 25mm Conti clincher on a wide rim may be tight. I run 25mm Veloflex on Boras and it’s the perfect combo in my opinion. I run the same on my C59, and also works just fine. But if you put the 25mm tubulars on the “old” narrower Boras they will get “pushed up” a bit so that the clearance is not adequate in a C59. I’ve done it, but it’s not ideal. Use a 24mm for the C59.
According to this article Fumagalli is quoted as designing the C64 specifically for the 28mm GP4000 (though does not mention on which rim)

The standard for us is the 28mm Continental GP 4000, which actually measures around 30.5mm in width,’ says Fumagalli. ‘So we designed it for this tyre, but we have enough space for 30mm tyres.’

http://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/4210/colnago-c64-review

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

XCProMD wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:12 pm
Lordgun is selling Potenza at 660 €. I guess similar pricing would be available from the usual German and British shops. There’s no better bang for the buck nor it’s function will not match the frame.
105 R7000 for £400 in the UK, would even pass as DA at a very quick glance ;)

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Im sorry, but 105 on a C64 just doesn't seem right.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I don’t car about this whole thing of a full Italian Colnago. Actually Colnago was among the first to use Japanese components in Italy, nothing strange about a Shimano equipped Colnago.

Problem is 105... well Centaur sells for less than 400€

https://www.gambacicli.com/it/campagnol ... -2018.html

To me, bit by bit, 105 is no match for Potenza.

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

Potenza is power torque but Centaur (11spd) is strangely ultratorque. and since this is budget build, i would go for centaur.

https://www.campagnolo.com/UK/en/Mechan ... ntaur/road

then stick some Zonda or second hand Shamal Ultra onto it.

Deda superzero bar/stem is dirt cheap and almost close to carbon bar weight (217g for my 40cm).

save the money and get some Vittoria Corsa Speed and decent italian saddle like Astute, SMP, Prologo, San Macro or Selle Italia.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

AJS914

by AJS914

The newest Potenza has been upgraded to Ultra Torque.

flying

by flying

That new Potenza looks quite nice to me. Am thinking of using it on next build rather than Ultegra
I know it is slightly heavier

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Potenza was my first Campagnolo groupset. I bought it blindly, without even test ride. Great review https://cyclingtips.com/2016/12/campagn ... set-review
So far so good. I like tactile feedback in contrast to mushy Shimano. Potenza brakes are not as grabby as my 9000 Dura Ace brakes, with same wheels and same pads. Nevertheless, Potenza brakes perform very well, with more modulation and linear stopping power. I prefer the feel of Potenza brakes over Shimano.
In case you are wondering about weights.
Rear derailleur 210 grams
Front derailleur 98 grams
Brakes 319 grams
Shifters 372 grams

Ultegra always felt mushy to me. The only upgrade from Potenza is Dura Ace or Ultegra Di2.
Last edited by mpulsiv on Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

themidge

by themidge

WorkonSunday wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Deda superzero bar/stem is dirt cheap and almost close to carbon bar weight (217g for my 40cm).

Seriously? Have you weighed it, or is that the claimed weight?
Deda are usually quite optimistic with their claimed weights, so if that's a real weight I'd be very impressed.

flying

by flying

mpulsiv wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:50 am
Potenza was my first Campagnolo groupset. I bought it blindly, without even test ride.
So far so good.
I always ran Campy Chorus. Decades ago That was 9speed? I forget had it on a Masi Gran Corsa :D
It had the interleaved brake arms but it was still friction shifting days :D

Next bike a Colnago MXL I had the nicer 10sp indexed Chorus
Later .. Looks kg381 & 585 as well as Cevelo R2.5 all chorus bikes
Only my first bike had shimano (105) way back & the bike I have now is Shimano Ultegra :D

Shimano is utilitarian & I cannot fault it
But Campy was always beautiful to my eyes. Even this Potenza look nice to me.
Finished very well & as you said Campy always has had "tactile feedback" very solid
on shifts & great braking.

But Chorus & of course record prices are just so high these days for me. I am not willing to put this much $$$ into cycling anymore.
I enjoy the rides daily without much worry about the bleeding edge :D

XCProMD

by XCProMD

That Chorus you say with the interleaved arms (Monoplaner in Campag babble) was originally a 1987, 7 speed job. Easily upgradable up to 9 cogs as the geometry of the RD was already Synchro II, which was used to develop the whole 8s system, including Ergopowers. Actually the G-springs in Ergos first showed on downtube indexed shifters.

9s didn’t changed RD geometries so from 1987 to 1999 all Campag was mix and match.

Potenza certainly is approximately Ultegra quality. Both are very sensitive to cable routing and drag, Potenza is picky with top pulley distance to cogs ( and some frames might be off, C60 being an example but not C64) but it looks to be the usual long term Campag reliability, i.e you can get 25 years of use and abuse from it just having to change cogs and chains.

All in all fantastic value.
Last edited by XCProMD on Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying

by flying

XCProMD wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:14 am
That Chorus you say with the interleaved arms (Monoplaner in Campag babble) was originally a 1987, 7 speed job. Easily upgradable up to 9 cogs as the geometry of the RD was already Synchro II, which was used to develop the whole 8s system, including Ergopowers. Sommi che that the G-springs in Ergos first showed on sowntube indexwd shifter actually.

9s didn’t changed RD geometries so from 1987 to 1999 all Campag was mix and match.

Potenza certainly is approximately Ultegra quality. Both are very sensitive to cable routing and drag, Potenza is picky with top pulley distance to cogs ( and some frames might be off, C60 being an example but not C64) but it looks to be the usual long term Campag reliability, i.e you can get 25 years of use and abuse from it just having to change cogs and chains.

All in all fantastic value.

To be honest I cannot remember years & speeds# exactly except the heavy use years was between say 88-95 I think I bought that frame in 87-88 :D

I know because I have pics that I used it in TT race to the top of Haleakala in 89 & 90 Toe straps, Silca frame pump & sewup in back pocket ...loved that bike :lol: :lol:

(Sorry to be off topic a bit too :oops: )
2002_0427_153929AA.JPG
cycle to sun 1989.jpg

XCProMD

by XCProMD

What a fantastic ride that should’ve been. I bet everything still works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

XCProMD wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:48 am
What a fantastic ride that should’ve been. I bet everything still works.
Thank You & yes I bet everything still works
Sadly after over 10 years riding I sold it when I bought my next frame.
I was never a person to have more than one bike...
But given the history that is the one I wish I did keep