Different Groupset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sourncream

by sourncream

Im a beginner and i don't know what to do, I have shimano 105 5800 fd , rd , and shifters. I know that ultegra 6800 and dura ace 9100 will match my 105 , i am thinking of mixing my parts. Im thinking of going dura ace 9100 FD then 6800 ultegra for my rear derailleur or should i just save money and buy dura ace rear derailleur ? is there any pros and cons of mixing it ? or big diff between rear derailleur ? (ultegra+dura)

TL;DR (i have shimano 105 5800)
DURA-ACE 9100 FD + ULTEGRA 6800 RD
or
save money for
DURA ACE 9100 FD + DURA ACE 9100 RD

This is my bike specs

https://imgur.com/a/BXPo6EI
https://imgur.com/a/2yV9yRj

campagowlo

by campagowlo

The only part that i would upgrade is the Chainset as you will lose a stack of weight. The rest of the 105 groupset is solid, super functional and looks as good as the rest.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

Rear mech makes as near as no difference. Front mech maybe. All the parts are mix and match compatible.

105 is great, just use that until it wears out. If you are a beginner there's a whole world out there to explore by riding your bike rather than pondering upgrades to mechs.

sourncream

by sourncream

coriordan wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:19 pm
Rear mech makes as near as no difference. Front mech maybe. All the parts are mix and match compatible.

105 is great, just use that until it wears out. If you are a beginner there's a whole world out there to explore by riding your bike rather than pondering upgrades to mechs.
It's because my front derailleur or i don't know what's the problem fd or shifter but it's really hard to shift from small to large sprocket it takes alot of force unlike when i was trying other bike from the bike shop that has the same FD and shifter , i tried cleaning everything and lubing but stil the same , and as far for my RD it's so LOUD i don't know if it's suppose to be like that but the jockey is so loud
Last edited by sourncream on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

If your just starting out, I'd ride the bike as is for a little while then decide if it is a bike you're going to hold on to. Replace any parts as they wear out.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy some nicer lighter wheels instead.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ALAN Carbon+ on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sourncream

by sourncream

ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 pm
If your just starting out, I'd ride the bike as is for a little while then decide if it is a bike you're going to hold on to. Replace any parts as they wear out.

If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket, buy some nicer lighter wheels instead.

i've riden my bike for 2 whole months now everyday and i can't afford wheel , it's just that my FD is so hard to shift and my RD is loud as hell that's why i want to replace them and i don't know what causes it

sourncream

by sourncream

campagowlo wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:18 pm
The only part that i would upgrade is the Chainset as you will lose a stack of weight. The rest of the 105 groupset is solid, super functional and looks as good as the rest.
Oh i totally forgot about that ! thankyou !

sourncream

by sourncream

Wookski wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:27 pm
Super Record, leave Shimano for fishing
i can't switch groupset that fast haha probably in the future but thanks !

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

sourncream wrote:
ALAN Carbon+ wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:25 pm

i've riden my bike for 2 whole months now everyday and i can't afford wheel , it's just that my FD is so hard to shift and my RD is loud as hell that's why i want to replace them and i don't know what causes it
The front derailleur issue could be a dodgy cable or housing causing some extra friction. Id take it back to the shop you bought it from, most shops offer a free tune up a couple of months after purchase, it sounds like it could do with a once over by a mechanic, probably not new mechs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coriordan

by coriordan

Rear mech just needs adjusting and front mech needs re-setting up.

One downside to the 5800, 6800, 9000 series is that the mechanical front mech can be a pain to set up.