Colnago C64 seatpost color issues Seatpost isnt same white as frame (help needed)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jason0091

by Jason0091

Hello Everyone newish member looking for some help or advice.
I just picked up my new frame it’s a 54s C64 in PJWH colorway and after unboxing it I have noticed that the white on seatpost and white on the frame are different frame is a more creamy white where the seatpost is more a blacky white can anyone tell me is this normal ?? Frame seatpost and forks came all sealed in big box from factory. Got to say the finish is not as high quality as the frame it’s replacing for me my old Extreme Power in TWBK colorway. And to see sticker on seatpost that said made in China was a little disappointing. Maybe all this is my OCD or my trade background of spray painting. Anyway any comments, help or advice would be greatly appreciated or also considering trying to get a gloss black seatpost. Pics to follow and also advice on building a light C64.
Thx in advance.
Pics with seatpost will post tmw in sun light.
Attachments
53731301-2BF2-48FD-9048-1CCBF0D342BC.jpeg
76DCDDA8-5EF8-418F-BF9B-2CCED29F2651.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Magnum

by Magnum

That is disappointing, and I would feel the same. I got my C64 a month ago in PKBK. It’s probably more difficult to notice any colour difference with black (more like impossible) but I’ll have a look. Also I find the ‘Made in China’ part depressing especially when they make a big deal about the C64 being the last of the Made in Italy frames.

I’ve a couple of theories on why it’s different. First is that if the frame and the seatpost are painted in different countries that could account for some of the difference. Obviously different paint mixes etc. Secondly, your frame has the new style font, but is the font on the seatpost the new or the old style? I mentioned this in another thread that there are a lot of the new frames coming with mismatched seatposts. Maybe this could account for the difference in colour too? Perhaps there were a number of seatposts painted a while ago and since then the white colour for the frames has changed slightly.

Sorry, none of this helps you really. Maybe you could go back to where you bought the frame and tell they you’re not happy.

wilwil

by wilwil

Not OCD. The whites should match.

sungod

by sungod

imo they look slightly different in colnago's own picture, with the frame colour just slightly warmer than the seatpost

https://www.colnago.com/wp-content/uplo ... PJWH-1.jpg

Rando

by Rando

So the C64 is not really hand built in Italy then ? I thought this was why it commanded such a premium price ?

AJS914

by AJS914

The seatpost obviously is not. The frame is glued together and painted in Italy.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

So it appears they are now also painted in China. That would explain the lack of quality control.

Jason0091

by Jason0091

[/quote]
Magnum wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:55 pm
That is disappointing, and I would feel the same. I got my C64 a month ago in PKBK. It’s probably more difficult to notice any colour difference with black (more like impossible) but I’ll have a look. Also I find the ‘Made in China’ part depressing especially when they make a big deal about the C64 being the last of the Made in Italy frames.

I’ve a couple of theories on why it’s different. First is that if the frame and the seatpost are painted in different countries that could account for some of the difference. Obviously different paint mixes etc. Secondly, your frame has the new style font, but is the font on the seatpost the new or the old style? I mentioned this in another thread that there are a lot of the new frames coming with mismatched seatposts. Maybe this could account for the difference in colour too? Perhaps there were a number of seatposts painted a while ago and since then the white colour for the frames has changed slightly.

Sorry, none of this helps you really. Maybe you could go back to where you bought the frame and tell they you’re not happy.

Thank you for your reply I had thought the same about different countries with painting of seatposts looking at mine its the older style font on seatpost will post pics when sun comes up. I will be contacting dealer to see what can be done.
sungod wrote: imo they look slightly different in colnago's own picture, with the frame colour just slightly warmer than the seatpost

Yes that its different as well and has older style font on seatpost

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I'm also noticing more paint chips on few of the brand new C64's in my LBS, especially in the area where seatpost inserts and around DM brake mount. It might be the shop's mechanic's mistakes but the paint on C64 does look less durable than on C60. I'm actually having the same thought that C64 is being finished in different country/facility.

mag

by mag

@ipenguinking
Have you seen the same with the art decor ones? I'm just getting one built (I'd actually build it myself, but I don't have everything necessary right now so I've given it into the hands of one very good guy), hopefully to be completed early next week so I'll check all that then.
The frame has the new fonts but I don't remember what was on the seatpost. Will check that as well.

Jason0091

by Jason0091

In photos it’s a little hard to see but these are best I could do with iPhone. Will email dealer and see what comes of it. be so much easier without this new D shaped post.
Attachments
8D625731-165A-49AE-B2A2-8AA0F986D602.jpeg
E34D8239-D5B6-438B-AEFD-D5CCA819EFEB.jpeg
E06AB4EA-2ECA-4484-8CF5-9FF6BE5C2105.jpeg

sungod

by sungod

yes, contact the dealer about the mismatch - imo only the first photo has even enough lighting, use just that one, it's clear enough

but unless colnago agrees it's a fault/error, rather than intentionally different, there's probably little they can do

robertbb

by robertbb

Very poor for such a "premium" brand. And that new font is rubbish.

corky

by corky

Quality of finishing has gone down hill as have the actual paint designs......

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's the greed, earning more money that rules obviously....
One mans vanity feed another mans empire.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.