Cyclist’s palsy (numb hands) padded glove fix?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Eleven21

by Eleven21

As per the title really. Since we completed our last cycle tour back in July I’ve been suffering with numbness in my hands.

I’ve tried adding fizik bar gel which has helped a little but I’m sure I’ve seen gloves with large gel
pads specifically to help protect the ulnar nerve?

by Weenie

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

Maybe look at bike fit, particularly seat angle
If the seat is angled down at the front you put too much weight on hands.

Try tipping seat up...it's a zero cost option, before buying stuff
Fuji SL 5.8kg - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Focus Izalco Max Disc - Final Weight 6.7kg - http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Hi, I’ve had four professional bike fits in the years I’ve been riding which is part of the reason it’s been worrying me.

I will add that during the said cycle tour there was a lot more off road or ‘rough stuff’ if you will, than I’ve ever had to ride on a fully loaded touring bike with 28mm tyres.

Wonder if that has caused tissue trauma or damage to the ulnar (apologies I’m not a physician so that might sound daft)

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

It might sound silly, but too tight jersey can cause it (at least it does for me)

When my jersey is really tight under the armpits, I guess it is somehow blocking the blood flow and causing my hands to feel numb during the ride.

It happens only one particular jersey where the fit is not great for me, other tight or aero jerseys I don't have such problem.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Do you strengthen and stretch neck muscles? It eliminated my problem with numbness in hands..

Eleven21

by Eleven21

vejnemojnen wrote:Do you strengthen and stretch neck muscles? It eliminated my problem with numbness in hands..
No. But funny you mention it I’ve recently bought a copy of the book ‘the pain free cyclist’ and in there is some mention of a connection between the nerves running down the arms. There are a couple of exercises to help relieve the ulnar nerves and one of them involves stretching the neck whilst at the same time stretching the hand/wrist.

Jugi

by Jugi

ToffieBoi wrote:It might sound silly, but too tight jersey can cause it (at least it does for me).
I have a similar experience. It is compounded by tense racing situations and nervous group riding, which will induce an unneccessary stiff grip on the bars and unneccessary tension in my shoulders and neck. A poor fitting jersey around the shoulders will increase that tension, so a simple jersey change to a better fitting one may help to solve the issue.

In my experience poor handlebar ergonomics is just one of the reasons for palm and finger numbness. Wrist angle (dependant of handlebar and lever shape, of course) and tension in the neck and shoulders are equally common reasons.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Any suggestions for a glove with padding to protect the ulnar

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Of course there is connection. Don't forget the brachial plexus rises from the lower 4 cervical and the uppermost thoracic root. And esp. today's lifestyle (staring at screens, using smartphones, often with bad neck posture and a humped upper back...) is a sure way to weaken and shorten many neck muscles, and cause excess curvature of neck vertebrae.

Feeling comfortable on the bike (in my case at least) has more to do with my "physical preparedness" (trunk-neck-shoulder-hip mobility-strength-stability) than with bartape-gloves or tyre pressure.

oh, and I hope, the OP does not ride with locked out elbows. A nicely bent arm is often forgotten by many, yet, has tremendous advantageous effects on feel and comfort.

GlacialPace

by GlacialPace

I have found the specialized grail gloves to be really good as padded gloves go. I hate most gloves with any padding but those ones are nice.

sychen

by sychen

2nd grail gloves... The padding in the middle of the palm stops numb hands... The edge padding on other gloves causes problems for me.
GlacialPace wrote:I have found the specialized grail gloves to be really good as padded gloves go. I hate most gloves with any padding but those ones are nice.
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

silvalis

by silvalis

3rd grail gloves.
I'm also partial to gripgrab progel gloves which has a bit of padding in the palm, if you dodn't want to go full grail.
Chasse patate

mattr

by mattr

I'm using the gripgrab ones to try and stop a similiar issue.

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

+4 for the grails... they have become my go to gloves.

by Weenie

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Excellent - these could be just what I’m after. Also like the fact they don’t have any velcro (which I’ve found ends up wrecking my jersey pockets)