BORG hub progress - first wheel built.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Blackcatwheels take.
https://www.blackcatwheels.ch/2019/07/t ... g.html?m=1

Incidentally I have the drawing for the 1:1 hub now.
Essentially the same hub but with 1:1 geometry.

The eagle eyed will see my love of triple butted spokes.
The nds rear flange will be 38mm from centre. That the change. Rear hub available in 28h 32h and 36h drilling and maybe 24h. Front drilling 20h, w4h, 28, 32h and possibly 18h as the nippleshop.de expressed interest in this.
XDR freehub is available too. Got the sample of that already.

Just got to test 12 speed compatibility now.

Nearly there.

robertbb

by robertbb

bm0p700f wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:14 am

Nearly there.
How's this going? (And do you have a cost estimate on the rear hub?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XCProMD

by XCProMD

I can only tip my hat at this. Congratulations

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

mythical

by mythical

Congrats on the milestone. That's a really nice looking hubset with an attractive spoke geometry. I don't know enough about the internals, but I do hope they make for durable wheels. :beerchug:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Theres a campagnolo cassette compatibility issue to over come. New samples need to be made. The test hubs though have more miles and after a few thousand km the bearings are still smooth. The seals take a 500km to free up properly. Given the expected bearing life that's a small price to pay.

Tweaks cycles are going to be stocking my wheels so you will see the BORG26 on sale there in2020. The campag compatibility issue can be sol ed with a freehub modification I think. I am waiting to hear from the hub manufacturer to see if they have a better idea. The fouling is minor. My test hub used a 0.5mm spacer behind the campagnolo cassette to get clearance. So we either build a spacer into the freehub and extend the freehub 0.5mm to have the cassette fit properly or take 0.2mm of the shell and add 0.3mm of in built spacer. It will be that kind of solution not to alter the hub geometry.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The other potential compatibility issue to take into account would be to ensure that the distance from the locknut (inside face of the dropout), to the face of the first cog is the same as Campagnolo’s. It’s annoying, but far from uncommon, when swapping wheels that are supposed to be compatible and having to adjust the rear derailleur due to differences in that spec. This is something that with a quiver of Campy wheels is so nice not to have to worry about. But if a wheel is going to to billed as “Campy compatible” it would be nice if it was compatible in that spec as well as just being able to fit a Campy cassette on it.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

robertbb

by robertbb

Agree with Cal. Moving between a rear wheel built with DT240s hub, and Campy hubs (Zonda, Shamal, Bora.. all of which I have or have had) would result in having to readjust the derailleur. Massive difference in offset and one of the reasons I'm now sticking to Campy wheels on those bikes (thankfully they're ridiculously good though)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The first 100 pair are being ordered. Delivery around may/June.

To ensure casette spoke clearance for campagnolo cassette I have been forced to thin the flange buttress down a bit and the move the DS flange in to 16.4mm. No issue with Sram or shimano, just campagnolo cassettes. Moving the freehub out would have create wheel change problems. Tension balance with a offset rim is still.pretty good at 88% with 3mm offset and 70% with a symmetric rim. Radial lacing nds means the effective braving angle is not quite as high as the flange position suggests.

My carbon rims have got triplet drilling now. I intend to order kinlin xr26rt rims with triplet drilling shortly as well.

I will.make these hubs available as hubs alone too. Most of the carbon rim.manufactuers offer 24h 2:1 lacing drilling.

The other little project in the pipe line is carbon spoked wheels. I will be trailing them but the hub I need to use is a bit rubbish so I will look at a new hub for disc and rim brake based on this triplet hub to utilise these spokes.

Having ideas is expensive. Must stop thinking at some.point when I have run out of money.

Carbon spokes would chop 100g of the spoke weight while resulting in a stiffer wheel.

blackcatwheels

by blackcatwheels

very good news Malcolm! I cannot wait for your triplet hubs. They are doing excellent on my bike and I made already about 8k km on them in Swiss Alps (they don't have easy life with me)

In regards to spokes - I sold one of my jigs to calibrate spoke tension meters to one company based in UK. They were working with carbon spokes. If that's any help I can put you in touch with them.

Cheers
Tomasz
Handbuilt wheels.
I ride wheels I build, I build wheels for riders
-----------------------------------------------------
https://carbonone.pl/
https://blackcatwheels.ch/

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have my own jig. Every wheelbuilder has one. A customer made it for me.

robertbb

by robertbb

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm

My carbon rims have got triplet drilling now. I intend to order kinlin xr26rt rims with triplet drilling shortly as well.

Oh man if you could get Easton R90SL rims drilled to suit..... shut up and take my money!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

They have arrived. 100 hundred pairs and lots spares. Two versions one with ntn contacting seal bearings through out and another with ntn non contacting seals throughout.

All 20h front and 16:8 rear.

Miller

by Miller

Looks fabulous. That's 100 pairs I assume, not 10,000 pairs? (100 hundred.)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

100 pairs. Silly me. 10000 pair *f##k* me id be broke. Hopefully just the start of many orders. Next the conventional drilling version and then perhaps silver hubs as silver hub options are pretty thin on the ground.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Nice work. Congrats!
Never cheer before you know who is winning

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com