BORG hub progress - first wheel built.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hambini

by hambini

Are you going for a forged and then machined hub or machined from bar? Looks good BTW.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Forged shells Hambini. In for penny in for a pound.

On that point the BORG DX disc brake hub is here. Forged shell. Given DT Swiss hubs have the ring nut problem and freehubs are not always available and that goes for the end caps and HOPE want dealers to buy more than just hubs I have had my hand forced to do my own thing.
Highlights
A choice of Shimano 8/9/10/11 speed, Campagnolo 9/10/11/12 speed or SRAM XD driver freehub body. Freehubs available here.
Freehub core/pawl seats on the Shimano and Campagnolo freehubs is made from titanium.
100x12mm/15mm and 142mm compatibility. Q/R end caps and axles are available too. Rear axle listed here. Front axles are available also.
24H, 28H, 32H drilling
The bearings are 6803 but not a standard 6803 bearings. All tollerances and bearing grades, race tollerances, seals are to much tighter specifications than normal class.
5 bearings in the rear hubs and 2 in the front.
Centrelock disc brake mounts.
Bearing preload adjuster for rear hub, with a thumb wheel.
397g weight for a pair of hubs. Front hub 100x15mm 121g 100x12mm 124g.Q/R 127g. Rear hub (shimano freehub 142x12mm or Q/R 274g. Add 11g for the XD driver.
Large flange design to reduce braking loads on the spokes
Rated to 330N of torque (you need to be Chris Hoy to generate that).
Forged hub shell.

Dimensions
Front

PCD 59mm L/F

L/R centre flange to centre hub 21.2/36.7mm

Rear

PCD 59mm L/F

L/R centre flange to centre hub 21.2/34.2mm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Photos, prices?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The seal drag difference between LLB and LLU is not trivial. I wouldn’t want LLU bearings in my hubs, even if I have to replace the LLBs often. Anyways all of my wheels now use cup/cone bearings except the freehubs. For a big rider a handful of watts in extra seal drag is no big deal. But for me it would be detrimental and a non-starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The drag difference between contact and non contact seals is small for good bearings. While hubs using bearings with non contact seals spin for longer unloaded, in a roll down test the difference is quite small to non existent. Hub drag is very small compared to total drag even for small riders, it's no more than 1%. In fact there is minimal drag in these hubs anyway so your assumptions are unfounded.

I live in the UK. It rains alot here. Hubs with non contact seals on cartridge bearings are not going to last long if ridden in the wet. Then those "fast" bearings become slow draggy ones quite quickly.

Next you'll be saying hope hubs are too draggy. if

Cost of the hubs Millar is £70 front and £160 rear.

Miller

by Miller

bm0p700f wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:41 pm
Cost of the hubs Millar is £70 front and £160 rear.
Thanks. Very reasonable. I have an idea for a pair of wheels to build so will bear these very much in mind.

Miller

by Miller

hambini

by hambini

They look nice.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

mattr

by mattr

Rear hub looks good for a build I'm planning in the spring. (142×12) BUT any plans for 110x15 in the front? Or do I need a mismatched pair...... :(

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes I have plans, money though is an issue.

mag

by mag

@bm0p700f Don't You plan to start selling the Hutchinson TL/TLR tyres? I purchased IRCs from You in the past and would happily purchase something more from You again, but this time I'd be more interested into something 28mm wide and more durable such as IRC X-Guard for example, but I'd actually like to try some of those Hutchinson 11 Storms - All Season in particular. Strangely they exist in the TLR only variant (when compared 25mm TL and TLRs the latter are lighter and most likely less puncture resistant which is quite strange to see as the only 28mm option on those "all season" tyres), but whatever.. :-D

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Mag actually yes Hutchinson and Mavic UST tyres coming soon. Possibly very soon. Given the time of year I will buy the performance fusion 5 endurance. However my experience of these tyres is they wear at a faster rate and cut more than IRC's. They are cheaper though do swings and roundabouts. Still wondering if I should bother buying the good year eagle, it's not very comfortable.

Conti Gp5000tl tyres in stock. All the tubeless tyres I like or be willing to ride on will make it on the site soonish.

Millar. The universal gravitational constant is lower in Suffolk.

Miller

by Miller

It's those stickers on the hubs wot's done it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have the same stickers. Actually I have been wondering if the next pallet should have black background with grey lettering.

Miller

by Miller

One little learning: these hubs need lockrings for oversize axles. Might be described as a 15/20mm CL lockring. These are tightened with the same tool as used to tighten external BB cups.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com