Full Di2 to EPS swap - parts/tools needed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Im going to be swapping my tarmac from Di2 to EPS.. so a few questions as Ive ever only had Mechcanical Campy..

1) I understand the V3 battery has the leads coming off of it.. unlike the Di2 where they are all seperate.. do I need any other wires at all?
2) Do any of the EPS parts come with the Bottom bracket sleeve for the EPS wires, or is it a seperate purchase?
3) Does the chain catcher come with the FD, or is a seperate purchase?
4) Any other special tools required (is the magnetic cable tool recommended, any special tools needed to join wires together?
5) Will my Di2 USB charger work at all with the Campy?
6) Does the V3 battery come with seatpost shim adapters, or are they required seperate?

Thanks in advance!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Buy this one. Note I asume you're about to buy SR/Record EPS. Chorus(Athena) EPS has a different tool.

1) no
2) yes, bundled in the power unit package
3) separate
4) the aforementioned tool to join the cables
5) never tried, as both Di2 junction and EPS interface have different connectors.
6) No! it has to be a separate purchase!
Last edited by Cemicar on Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Yes going SR.. and thanks for the answers!

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

4) The tool shown above is for disconnecting the plugs. I've always joined them by hand, just be sure to line up the white dots. The cable guide magnets make the job easier IMO but are not essential.
5) Definitely not. You'll need to buy a V2/V3 charger.
6) No these are sold separately. There are 27mm and 32mm versions.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

K sounds good.. thanks for the input guys... I am gonig to be using the Campy BB30 cups.. was going to get the Ceramic Speed kit, but te power2max PM comes with CULT bearings which are near flawless in my past experiences... any special tips on installing those cups besides making sure they go in straight.. loctite recommended, or just go dry install?

TonyM

by TonyM

That tool for disconnecting the cables is just insanely expensive! Almost $100 and for $60 on some online retailer.

It is just a simple piece of plastic, right?

Does anyone had a DIY solution?

liam7020

by liam7020

TonyM wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:15 am
That tool for disconnecting the cables is just insanely expensive! Almost $100 and for $60 on some online retailer.

It is just a simple piece of plastic, right?

Does anyone had a DIY solution?
Yep, they're called fingers!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

liam7020 wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:41 am
Yep, they're called fingers!
Very useful they are too, fingers.

Both Record style and Athena style EPS connectors have two projecting tabs on the female side that click into tiny protrusions on the outside of the male connector. For breaking the connection you can lift and disengage one with a fingernail but it's tricky to lift both tabs with fingernails and pull apart the connection at the same time. What I do is slide a little piece of thin plastic under one side, then lift the other tab with a fingernail and pull apart the connectors.

As ever with EPS connectors, delicacy and care is required when making and breaking the connection. The little tabs are easily broken off.

FWIW I think the Athena style connectors are more robust but possibly they have a greater external diameter which has an impact on getting connectors through narrow frame access points.