Widest road-specific cycling shoes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Widest road-specific cycling shoes?

Bont
25%
Lake
46%
Shimano
14%
Sidi
No votes
Gaerne
No votes
Northwave
No votes
Specialized
4%
Bontrager
7%
Giro
No votes
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

853guy

by 853guy

Hello everyone,

So I've read everything I can about which shoes are widest.

The above brands seem to be mentioned most, but inevitably, with an eventual caveat along the lines of "but didn't work for me...", or "they used to be wide but...".

So, of the brands you've tried, and in general, which one has been consistently the widest in terms of fit?

Feel free to suggest the "other" (custom or otherwise) that worked best for you.

I appreciate "widest" doesn't necessarily mean "most comfortable", nor "greatest in volume" but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Cheers!

853guy

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

This makes me think Lake cx237 etc is the widest... I can be comfortable in my Bont wide shoes for up to 3 hours. Tempted to try the cx237 but don't really do long rides now so maybe not until a while. Image

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I've done Lake, Shimano, Specialized, Sidi and Other.

For the Shimano and Sidi, I felt like the shoes were just bigger. Like, instead of making a 44 wider, they just gave me a 45 or 46. My feet are wide just across the toe box. My heels are pretty narrow, so they didn't work for me.

Specialized and Lake were wider without getting longer, but were still a bit too wide in the heel.

I have finally settled on Riivos. I went semi-custom. They are pricey, but I have two pair, and they've held up.

Also Northwaves are NOT wide. At all.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Oh, I've considered Luck custom shoes, seems like great value for their range of custom fit options.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Orlok

by Orlok

I bought my Lake shoes by https://www.bikeshoe4u.nl/. They are knowing as the best in wide cycling shoes.! After several marque; Bont, DMT and finaly Lake wide range fit me the best, so for me is "lake" the widest road-specific cycling shoe.
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

KCookie

by KCookie

I tried the Lake 237w and sold them after one ride, actually wore skin off my toes. I now have two pairs of the Shimano RC9 in a wide and they are Perfect. Before the Lakes I was using the S-works 6 in a wide, used to make my feet numb after a few hours, just use them on the trainer now. Definitely worth checking out the RC9 though.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I'll add another vote for Shimano. I have a pair of RC7s in wide. I'm not crazy about their look--I think the RC9s look much better, for example (but that'll cost ya!). Comfort-wise, though, they're the best shoes I've ever used. So much better than the Sidi Megas I had before.

Of course, with shoes like saddles, YMMV.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I have the Shimano RC7 and Shimano RO88 both in a wide fit I find the RC7 to be a little longer for the same size.

mmmk604

by mmmk604

I have wide feet and I have Shimano’s as well

kdawg

by kdawg

Most wide shoes are really just high volume - same sole just with more material over the top.

My feet are pretty square and wide and Bont are the best I’ve had.

I have been looking into Luck who do a ton of options too - including full custom - and look good value.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

sungod

by sungod

if you want wide, look for a shoe that has a proper wide sole

i use vaypor s in wide, they are indeed wide

Wheever

by Wheever

I have moderately wide feet, 110-113mm wide. (10 EEEE, US)

I tried (but did not buy) a bunch of the "wide" or high volume shoes, but for one reason or another they didn't work. (Not wide enough in the toe, too wide in the heel, too narrow in across the instep, but too tall, etc.) I ended up with Bont Vaypor+ 44.5 standard size, which I was able to mold absolutely *perfectly* to my foot. Turns out I didn't actually need a wide because of the shape of the toe box. (A wide would probably also have worked, but might have been overkill.)

Once you understand Bonts, and the "tub" system, they're genius.

Most "wide" shoes are a wider upper attached to a regular sized sole; with the Bonts, it's the "sole" itself (Really the sole with moldable sides that wrap around the sides of the foot) that's wide. Once you mold those sides to your foot, there's NO PRESSURE whatsoever on your foot, no matter how your foot is shaped (Because you mold it to fit your specific bunions or bulges or whatever.)

The molding can be a complex process, but in the end, the shoe fits like it was built for your foot. With normal "wide" shoes, the sides stretch out to fit your foot (or don't and then fit too loosely in places). The Bonts, once molded, cradle your foot precisely, without putting any pressure on your foot at all.

The bonts are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, and the time I put into molding them with a hairdryer and a probe thermometer was worth every second. They are just perfect. :thumbup:
Last edited by Wheever on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parleez1

by parleez1

Recently picked up the Lake CX241 wide, fantastic shoe, solved my foot issues as they provide wide and high toe box. My next move is to heat mold the heel cup for more tightness around the heel, after that they should be perfect! They are double boa closure IP1, they work very well.

Wheever

by Wheever

sungod wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:53 pm
if you want wide, look for a shoe that has a proper wide sole

i use vaypor s in wide, they are indeed wide

The chart is a little conservative in width. For instance, my shoes Bont Vaypor+ in 44.5 standard fit are shown with a max width of 108mm. Not so! Mine molded right out to 113mm with no problem. There's a lot more moldability than the chart indicates, I think because people usually only need the greatest width in very specific places. (The length on the chart is right on, however.)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parleez1

by parleez1

Wheever wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:27 pm
I have moderately wide feet, 110-113mm wide. (10 EEEE, US)

I tried (but did not buy) a bunch of the "wide" or high volume shoes, but for one reason or another they didn't work. (Not wide enough in the toe, too wide in the heel, too narrow in across the instep, but too tall, etc.) I ended up with Bont Vaypor+ 44.5 standard size, which I was able to mold absolutely *perfectly* to my foot. Turns out I didn't actually need a wide because of the shape of the toe box. (A wide would probably also have worked, but might have been overkill.)

Once you understand Bonts, and the "tub" system, they're genius.

Most "wide" shoes are a wider upper attached to a regular sized sole; with the Bonts, it's the "sole" itself (Really the sole with moldable sides that wrap around the sides of the foot) that's wide. Once you mold those sides to your foot, there's NO PRESSURE whatsoever on your foot, no matter how your foot is shaped (Because you mold it to fit your specific bunions or bulges or whatever.)

The molding can be a complex process, but in the end, the shoe fits like it was built for your foot. With normal "wide" shoes, the sides stretch out to fit your foot (or don't and then fit too loosely in places). The Bonts, once molded, cradle your foot precisely, without putting any pressure on your foot at all.

The bonts are the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, and the time I put into molding them with a hairdryer and a probe thermometer was worth every second. They are just perfect. :thumbup:

The Lake shoes in a wide are not a wider upper attached to a regular size sole. Read the review from the link below from Biketestreview on two different model Lake shoes, it explains how they are made.
http://biketestreviews.com/lake-shoes-n ... i-reviews/