Zipp 404 Bearing Replacement/Upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, call it what you want, but Zipp wheels felt like there was lateral “play” and it was designed like that. But they would say it needs to be “loaded” and then all is well. While riding over surfaces of varying roughness at speed I’m sure there are various moments of relatively more load or less load. I never really liked that aspect of their design.
By the way, I’m not disagreeing with you as I thought it was a “rubbbish” design as well, but it was their design, for better or worse.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

Here's some bits on bearing clearance, scroll down

https://www.hambini.com/technical-support/bearings.html

If they came with the original HUX bearings, they are cack. I would ditch them.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Hey, I just wanted to follow up with you guys on this. I sourced the NTN bearings from Misumi, and they arrived last week. I went ahead and replaced all of the bearings in the rear hub, and tightened it all up, accordingly. Only one of the bearings was very obviously trashed (outside freehub bearing was gritty), but several of them displayed the telltale signs of water ingress namely rust-colored grease coming from them. After removing the bearings, using Hambini’s YouTube video, and oiling/greasing everything according to spec, the wheels feel much better (the wheels feel stiffer, in the sense that I can’t push them into the brake pads as easily as I could, before).

The proof will be in the “pudding”, on Saturday’s ride, but I’m confident in the repair.

Also, here’s a photo of the axle... opinions?Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Philbar72

by Philbar72

i've got the new Firecrests (404) with the fancy new brake tracks. these use the 77/177 hubs and so far they seem fine. i'm retiring them from use over winter for spring and summer miles, question is, will better (than the stock) bearings make them a better wheel. i've had none of the issues with the hubs that others have and the wheels do just roll and work fine.

should i just run them until i need to replace the bearings or upgrade?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

How many miles do you have on them? I noticed most of the problems were on the outside freehub bearing, so if that one looks alright, I would venture a guess that the others are alright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hambini

by hambini

Looks like a bit of bearing creep on the axle, suggesting a slightly slack fit of whatever bearing was located there.

Unless you measure it, it's difficult to tell if it's okay. Visually I wouldn't be concerned.
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I didn’t feel any ridges, I just noticed the worn/polished finish on the axle, which is what I found interesting. If I have these wheels long enough to replace the bearings again, I’ll definitely swap out the hub for something better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk