New bike – suggestions needed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

I am in the market for a new road bike for 2019 and I have therefore initiated the screening process.

The bike will be purchased during the coming winter months.

I ride twice a week 3 hrs. each time in my local cycling club - with an average speed of 35km/h

I will attend 3-5 races during the race season.

The bike will be used on mainly flat to hilly roads (no mountains).

I see that the industry is leaning towards disc brakes for the future, wherefore this would be preferred, if I spend more than EUR 3.300 on the bike.

I prefer a classic look for the frame geo, 40-50mm. rims, minimum Shimano Ultegra level - preferably DI2 if possible within the budget and thru axle front and rear is mandatory if disc is chosen.
Budget is roughly EUR 4.000.
If find the below bikes interesting.

- Cannondale Caad12, full Ultegra and rim brakes, Zipp 302 wheels, new saddle and new cockpit - 7.3kg. = EUR 3.300
- Canyon CF SL 8.0 full Ultegra and disc brakes, Mavic Cosmic Carbon Pro wheels - 7.8kg. = EUR 3.900
- Canyon CF SL 8.0 full Ultegra DI2 and disc brakes, DT Swiss PR1400 wheels - 7.3 kg. EUR= 4.100
- Focus Izalco Max, full Ultegra DI2 and disc brakes, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels - 7.3 kg. = EUR 4.300
- Cervelo R3, full Ultegra DI2 and disc brakes, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels - 7.3 kg. = EUR 4.300

I have converted my local currency to EUR. All prices are based on a discount on the new bike is applied (not the Canyon bikes)

Comments on the above and alternative suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks

Christian

jlok

by jlok

I'd vote for Izalco Max as that's the top level frame among the choices.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moldman

by moldman

Disc brake all the way for me!
Canyon is probably the most cost effective, but the Cervelo and Focus will be better with a good set of wheels.
I'm building my new R3 disc with Ultegra di2 and Mavic Ksyrium pro carbon SL wheels, by the way...

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Thank you both for your comments - I will look further into the Focus and the Cervelo.

I beleive that a new Focus Izalco . gen 3 is around the corner - shall be interesting to see who is looks.

jlok

by jlok

You prolly mean this new Izalco Max
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0#p1423969
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I really like my 2016 Focus Izalco
Very light frame with a classic look
Comfortable
Also a fan of discs...only have one bike and discs mean I can brake effectively on rainy days...and race
If I were buying a new bike I'd think about Focus, Scott Addict viewtopic.php?f=10&t=149332 or BMC (the clean lines of https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153070 but probably well over your price limit)

The RAT axle on the Focus gets bad press on WW for being heavy...I think Cervelo's have recently started using them

I see you currently ride an R3, why are thinking about moving away from Cervelo?
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc