How to Best Lighten Up a Cannondale SystemSix

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:14 am
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:06 am
- calipers (i am sure there are light boutique options for 1000$ that save 30g).
Hope RX4 and alloy backed pads are reasonably priced and are available for both Shimano and SRAM.
I did a quick search, but seems like dura ace weight for dura ace pricing.

To get ~30g cheaper for a set should be exponentially more expensive. I have not researched, but it is the market trend, so i feel comfortable calling it.

by Weenie

robeambro

by robeambro

refthimos wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:02 pm
I expect the SystemSix to be the workhorse bike in my stable and so with that, am not looking for any "stupid light" modifications. This is a case where durability will count a lot. Finally, there is so much integration in this bike that it limits the opportunities to modify.
Disc rotors - are there lightweight alternatives that perform as well (or close to as well) as the RT900s?
Bottom bracket
Headset bearings
Bolts, shifter clamps, other small stuff?
Brake housing?
What else?

You want to lighten up an aero bike with pretty much everything integrated, which is already a challenge. If then you throw durability into the equation, well.. I think that rather than shed weight, your time and money especially be better spent on really really nailing down your aero position to make sure you are able to make the most of the aero gains.

refthimos

by refthimos

Oh I know there is not much that can or is worth changing on the bike. I certainly didn't buy this bike thinking it would be a WW bike! I was just trying to see if I could sensibly slim her, and wanted to see if someone might identify an area I've overlooked.

I'm all about the marginal aero gains. Our team is sponsored by Castelli, and I don't think I have purchased bibs or shorts in at least 7-8 years. It's 100% San Remo for me, and when not San Remo, a proper speedsuit. I remember when I first showed up to group rides in the San Remo, other riders thought I was nuts, now it's commonplace.
Last edited by refthimos on Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 Coming soon! [6.19kg]
SystemSix | 8.01kg
TCR Advanced SL Disc | 7.35kg
P5 | 9070 Di2 | SISL2 SRM | Enve 7.8 | Disc TBD
T1 | P2Max Type S | Rolf Prima FX58/Zipp Super 9 Disc

Rudi

by Rudi

I'll do my normal chime in on this. Unless you are at the extreme end of the sizing, you'll probably be able to cut down some of the seatpost that is over and above the minimum insertion requirements. Sounds like that might be as much of a saving as some of the other suggestions, and is free.

Edit - how heavy are those Vision Chainrings?
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420