EE brake part upgrade

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colster

by colster

Have been using EE brakes for about 3.5 years and am very happy with them, but encountered an issue within past few months whereby the fine adjuster on the rear brake began to come loose and then wouldn't provide any lateral adjustment. When this happened while riding it quickly led to brake rub.
I contacted CaneCreek about it and they recommended ordering an upgrade kit for older versions (mine are mk3 from 2015) that would provide a replacement fine adjuster and quick release from the new v4 EE brake (marked in red below - regular mount)

They have now arrived (see below) but did not include any instructions, so I asked CaneCreek who replied "unfortunately we do not have any literature at this time about disassembly or reassembly of the eeBrakes. Most everything revolves around a post inserted through bushings and secured with a snap ring. Let me know if you run in to any particular issues and I can attempt to help guide the process".

It does appear that prizing off those tiny snaprings are the key to this process (hence the replacement ones provided) but just before I embark on this rather fiddly looking task I wanted to ask: are there any EE users out there who have done this before and might have any advice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

I haven’t got to actually following this but should be half way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

i didn't know they sold an upgrade kit. good to know. maybe i'll see if i can upgrade a few brakes. thx for this.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

@colster, where did you buy this upgrade kit? i don't see it on their website.

thx.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

markdjr

by markdjr

What are the advantages of the upgrade kit? Is it possible to upgrade to the new black spring? Thanks.

colster

by colster

@Yinya - thanks for that, very helpful! Where did you get that image, did you make it yourself? Just asking as Cane Creek advised they had no support documents

@Kode54 - I contacted CaneCreek directly, originally just to describe the issue I was experiencing, and they advised in response that this part would work as a resolution so they just created the order and invoiced me directly. As I'm in the UK I asked if they thought they would likely be able to order anytime soon over here, they answered probably not it is something that would normslly be special ordered, so best to drop them an email.

@Markdjr - i think the advantage ought to be mainly ergonmic, I guess only time will tell if this v4 link will last longer/not wear in the way that my existing one has. Not that I am dissing EEbrakes as I'm still a massive fan, the issue I experienced may have just been an anomaly

yinya

by yinya

Got it from a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com