Alternative to Assos active wear cleanser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Any suggestions for a good alternative to the Assos active wear cleanser? I've just purchased a couple of pairs of the Assos S7 shorts and was wondering if something like Woolite would suffice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

I only wear Assos clothing and have always used normal detergent. In all the years of washing i havent noticed any damage/ problems. As you stated, would be nice to know if there is something similar to the Assos cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Win Sports Wash is pretty good, and much more economical than Assos. I've used both.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

KCookie wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I only wear Assos clothing and have always used normal detergent. In all the years of washing i havent noticed any damage/ problems. As you stated, would be nice to know if there is something similar to the Assos cleaner.

Same here. Been using Assos for years and have never used their cleaner. I have tried Sports Suds and another special sports detergent that I can't recall but I didn't use them for long. I use regular old Tide detergent pods for all my cycling gear and have never had an issue. I have Assos S7 bibs going on 4.5 years old and, while the color has faded from the chamois pads, there's no degradation in the shorts to speak of.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging them. I would get a few laundry bags and put your good gear in those when washing - shorts, gloves, HR belts, helmet pads and such. I throw jerseys in the washer the same as any other piece of regular laundry.

KCookie

by KCookie

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 pm
KCookie wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Same here. Been using Assos for years and have never used their cleaner. I have tried Sports Suds and another special sports detergent that I can't recall but I didn't use them for long. I use regular old Tide detergent pods for all my cycling gear and have never had an issue. I have Assos S7 bibs going on 4.5 years old and, while the color has faded from the chamois pads, there's no degradation in the shorts to speak of.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging them. I would get a few laundry bags and put your good gear in those when washing - shorts, gloves, HR belts, helmet pads and such. I throw jerseys in the washer the same as any other piece of regular laundry.
Yeah I do the same, I've never once washed my cycling clothing separately, it always gets washed with the normal laundry.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I use Hex (https://hexperformance.com/) and Win (https://www.windetergent.com/)

Both work very well on my Assos, Q36.5 gear. FWIW, I put bibs in a mesh bag for laundering, so they don't get scuffed on other stuff.

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Thanks for the input

Eleven21

by Eleven21

Starting to wonder if I’m worrying over nothing with this one?

Stueys

by Stueys

I use halo sports wash @ 30 degrees on my sports stuff. Never had an issue

Finx

by Finx

I've used normal detergent on my Assos stuff for a couple of years. Only a few drops in small load on low temperatures. They hang dry....

I've noticed on some of my older (3yo) Mille shorts, they are starting to get very thin to the point where they are very transparent.

Of course I have no idea if the detergent contributes to this. It might be just normal wear and tear.

I've started using the Assos cleanser lately, in hopes my newer stuff will last a little longer.

Magnum

by Magnum

I only use the Assos cleaner. It's expensive, but it's only for cycling stuff so it lasts a while if you have the 1 litre bottle. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but because most of my stuff is either Assos, Rapha, or MAAP I take really good care of it. I handwash in Assos Cleaner at a low temperature, and then rinse and spin in the machine using laundry bags. They're only in the machine for 20 minutes. The only thing I can say about going to those lengths is that my clothing seems to look good, and last a long time.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I use regular laundry detergent on a handwash cycle not in a laundry bag and have 7 year old bibs still going strong.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Can't stand the smell of Assos cleaner.

I machine wash with normal detergent or Woolite, then hang on plastic hangers to dry.

kytyree

by kytyree

Yeah, I've got assos stuff that will soon belong in a museum and I wash it with Tide or whatever is in the laundry room, always have. I used to use the little bottles of assos stuff if I needed to wash something in a hotel etc.

If I'm washing them with other laundry I do use a big mesh laundry bag to protect them from snagging on other stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ico

by ico

I wear Assos for nearly two decades and occasionally used Assos cleaner which I liked. Must say that colors are more bright and stand out, also white and odour free. But it is not cheap. I started to use other brands sport cleaners and I've realises that my S7 bib shorts are nearly transparent at the back. It was only one part above the chamois. Also arm sleeves on my Intermediate LS jersey started to be less elastic. Hence I've bought a 1L Assos cleaner for my new bibshorts and will see if it helps.