Alternative to Assos active wear cleanser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roel W

by Roel W

A typical example of expensive unneccessary after-market stuff.
"I've spend so much mony on my ... that expensive accessory is actually not that expensive compared to the product."
Applicable on smartphone cases, Assos cleanser,....

Just use regular detergent fork dark colors. Much cheaper and works perfect. Rinse with vinager (avoid fabric softener on sports clothing) to keep colors fixed and to remove bad odors.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

I never used the Assos wash...but always hang dry regardless of what detergent I use. I think the dry cycle is more of a concern than the wash cycle.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Never use the dry cycle on sports clothing.

ico

by ico

Roel W wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am
"I've spend so much mony on my ... that expensive accessory is actually not that expensive compared to the product."

Just use regular detergent fork dark colors. Much cheaper and works perfect. Rinse with vinager (avoid fabric softener on sports clothing) to keep colors fixed and to remove bad odors.
That's what I used to do and my S7 bib shorts are partially transparent now :lol: There must be some component in Assos's textiles that interact with certain detergents and weakens its structure.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Normally it is sweat that weakens the structure. Anything you have worn which is likely to have been sewer soaked should be washed immediately - like you would wash salt water out of a wetsuit.

*sewer should say sweat, but I will leave the autocorrect in, because it’s funny.

onemanpeloton

by onemanpeloton

I didn't even realise that sports detergent was a thing!

What makes this stuff unique? Is it more antibacterial/anti smell compared to normal detergent or is it more gentle on the fabrics?
2020 Trek Boone
2017 Merida Reacto
2017 Trek Superfly AL

nickf

by nickf

Tide Sport works extremely well for me.

ico

by ico

If it is sweat which weakens sport specific textile (particularly used in S7 bib shorts), then it would be weird. because it should be intended for such a use. I don't want to overthink this, but it definitely is an issue. I always wash them immediately after the ride.

TonyM

by TonyM

Some detergent are quite agressive.
I only use very mild detergent.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

What about Win detergent? Anyone tried it?

https://www.windetergent.com/

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Sweat and road grit are bad for your bibs. So is washing them. I use a mild regular detergent and a mesh wash bag and I absolutely avoid fabric softener which deliberately degrades fibres to give a softer feel.
Other than that I just ride and enjoy. Older bibs are used on the turbo if the pad still feels OK.
Crashing is usually a far bigger threat to your kit, it's possible to overthink the whole thing.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

ico wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 am
If it is sweat which weakens sport specific textile (particularly used in S7 bib shorts), then it would be weird. because it should be intended for such a use. I don't want to overthink this, but it definitely is an issue. I always wash them immediately after the ride.
It is salt water, and over time it rots it. This is true of most fabrics. Think about rinsing wetsuits. It’s the same thing.

GaBa

by GaBa

Roel W wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:52 am

I used to only use assos or some other sport specific detergent. No softneres. Now I added vinager and boy oh boy, before greyish socks are now white, same with skinfoils, also smell much nicer. Good advice :beerchug:

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

GaBa wrote: I used to only use assos or some other sport specific detergent. No softneres. Now I added vinager and boy oh boy, before greyish socks are now white, same with skinfoils, also smell much nicer. Good advice :beerchug:
Are you saying that greyness was reversed? I have white assos arm warmers and castelli socks, both turned to a horrible greije after the first wash.

uraqt

by uraqt

There is a post here, somebody had an old bottle that had the active ingredients listed and found matching soap that had the same active ingredients.

It was years, years and years ago I tried to find it but no luck...

Sorry
C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com