Alternative to Assos active wear cleanser

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ico

by ico

RTW wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:15 am
ico wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:44 am
If it is sweat which weakens sport specific textile (particularly used in S7 bib shorts), then it would be weird. because it should be intended for such a use. I don't want to overthink this, but it definitely is an issue. I always wash them immediately after the ride.
It is salt water, and over time it rots it. This is true of most fabrics. Think about rinsing wetsuits. It’s the same thing.
Manufacturer should analyse this fact further, because it clearly affects only one panel of S7 model. Never happened before on any shorts in my nearly 20 years experience with Assos's products. I'm curious if Evo's are the same case. Will report at the end of the season :)

TonyM

by TonyM

I also use a little vinegar. Mainly against odours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GaBa

by GaBa

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:36 pm
GaBa wrote: I used to only use assos or some other sport specific detergent. No softneres. Now I added vinager and boy oh boy, before greyish socks are now white, same with skinfoils, also smell much nicer. Good advice :beerchug:
Are you saying that greyness was reversed? I have white assos arm warmers and castelli socks, both turned to a horrible greije after the first wash.
Yes, I was also surprised! It’s not like they are like brand new white, but I could see a difference. I have Tiburu jacket that also went grey (sleeve), will wash it today and report.

But for the socks you can give it a try and see if they’ll become white(r).

Frankie13

by Frankie13

Are you guys putting the vinegar in the detergent at the same time or in the compartment for bleach ?

AJS914

by AJS914

Does vinegar make white clothing white again? I have a white jersey that has turned a bit grey around the neck. I think it's from sunscreen.

TonyM

by TonyM

Frankie13 wrote:Are you guys putting the vinegar in the detergent at the same time or in the compartment for bleach ?
I usually put 1 to 3 tbsp of vinegar together with the detergent.

Finx

by Finx

I found that using detergents on my black kit caused it to turn a shade of dark gray/purple (after repeated washings). The fabric also thinned to the point it was nearly transparent. I mainly ride Assos Mille bibs, but recently had to retire most of them due to the thinning problem. The Mille is my favorite bibs for long rides, and the newer Assos Centos don't fit me as well. I'm also using some Voler Black Label and recently purchased some Pedal Mafia bibs from AUS. The Voler are my every day ride bibs and get a lot of use. They sell to be holding up well. I really want to like the Pedal Mafia bibs, but the legs are a bit too long, and I find the chamois bunches up in the front a bit.

Detergents aren't really necessary on cycling kit as long as you use water soluble chamois cream and sunscreen.

I've tried a few alternatives, but usually end up back with the Assos cleaner, and hang dry.

petosagan

by petosagan

I use baby soap..

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

trimenc

by trimenc

I use woolite on all my sports stuff. I figure I am already using it for my wool base layers, so I just throw my bibs and jerseys in there as well. Seems to do just fine.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

KCookie wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:42 pm
I only wear Assos clothing and have always used normal detergent. In all the years of washing i havent noticed any damage/ problems. As you stated, would be nice to know if there is something similar to the Assos cleaner.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
I also agree with this. Only wear Assos and use normal detergent on a handwash cycle. No issues ever.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

kervelo

by kervelo

Finx wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:54 pm
I found that using detergents on my black kit caused it to turn a shade of dark gray/purple (after repeated washings)...
I am not sure if the detergents are causing the black kit turning to grey. I believe it may be more related to the UV rays. At least my bibs first turn grey in the areas the sun burns most and keep longer black in the areas that are covered by jersey.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Have always used the Assos wash - a single capful with just my cycling gear. I figure for what I paid for the S7 Campionissimo bibs the 1l bottle cost spead over the season (or more) is not substantial enough. Assos is a textile company, they know what they are doing, so I don't see it as a cash grab.

R314

by R314

Have no experience w/ the Assos stuff. I use this http://sanytol.com/en/product/laundry-d ... -aloe-vera on all my kit.