Vittoria Corsa Sidewall Layer Peel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JScycle

by JScycle

Hi
I recently noticed that a little bit of coating on the sidewall of my vittoria corsas has peeled (photo below)
It revealed what seems to a paler yellow and the tightly woven threads.
Do you think it is safe to keep riding?
Regards

sungod

by sungod

looks like it's been scuffed off, doesn't look like there's any damage to the carcass

if you ride in the wet, i suggest coat the area with aquasure or latex to prevent water getting at the carcass

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

sungod wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:15 am
looks like it's been scuffed off, doesn't look like there's any damage to the carcass

if you ride in the wet, i suggest coat the area with aquasure or latex to prevent water getting at the carcass
I don't have aquasure. I have water repellent spray or rubber cement to patch tubes. Do you think any of those will work?

sungod

by sungod

tbh i would not use either, the spray is unknown, the tube patching stuff is typically cold vulcanising fluid rather than a cement/glue

you can get a tube of aquasure for a few £/€/$ from amazon, ebay, places like diving and angling suppliers may also have it (used for repairing neoprene, waders etc.), or if you have some waterproof glue, contact adhesive for instance, just wipe a thin layer on, i'd think it'll do the job ok

JScycle

by JScycle

sungod wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:24 pm
tbh i would not use either, the spray is unknown, the tube patching stuff is typically cold vulcanising fluid rather than a cement/glue

you can get a tube of aquasure for a few £/€/$ from amazon, ebay, places like diving and angling suppliers may also have it (used for repairing neoprene, waders etc.), or if you have some waterproof glue, contact adhesive for instance, just wipe a thin layer on, i'd think it'll do the job ok
I have some contact adhesive. It's one of the ones that is in a paint can and you apply to two surfaces wait till the dry then join the two objects.

I also have some liquid cement for plastic models

sungod

by sungod

i'd use the contact adhesive

remove loose edges of the damaged coating, clean the surrounding area by lightly wiping with some cleaning solvent (aectone or isopropyl alcohol for instance) to get any grease off, let it evaporate

then a thin layer of contact adhesive

leave it to fully dry, if the surface feels tacky dust it with talc

Marin

by Marin

Leave it like it is and ride it. If the tire develops a bulge or bump, throw it away.

nycebo

by nycebo

Those all seem like good words of wisdom, but it's massive tail risk if you ever like to descend at speed. The tire costs $40. I'd replace and not give it a second thought.

Maybe just relegate this one to the trainer; winter's coming.

froze

by froze

Just a thin coat of Shoe Goo will work just fine and you can find it at Walmart for somewhere around $4.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

Interested to read this as I thought that this might be an issue only for the 'coloured' sidewalls - I find that the 'anthracite' peels badly - my front is very tatty, although rear is fine.

And so I was going to ask if black peels as badly, but if gumwall does peel (which I assume is the most 'natural' finish, then I guess black will be no better or worse than anthracite/gumwall)

However, is this gumwall example the exception? What do people think of black vs. anthracite for peel?

Marin

by Marin

It's the same sidewall with a different coloring.

JScycle

by JScycle

Update on the tyres. I had a 2 day tour on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I pumped my rear tyre up and the sidewall exploded. I was soooo lucky that I had a spare GP4000SII in the back of the car as I won the race after changing tyres before the start.

I looked on a local online retailer and they have:
Black
Black/tan
Black/anthracite.

I think I may give black a go, im guessing it is the same colour as as the tread on the black/tan tyre

3Pio

by 3Pio

JScycle wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 am
Update on the tyres. I had a 2 day tour on Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I pumped my rear tyre up and the sidewall exploded. I was soooo lucky that I had a spare GP4000SII in the back of the car as I won the race after changing tyres before the start.

I looked on a local online retailer and they have:
Black
Black/tan
Black/anthracite.

I think I may give black a go, im guessing it is the same colour as as the tread on the black/tan tyre
Same explosion happened to my Tanned Tubular Version... Low speed, flat part (i just get back in the city from the ride), no braking when happened (and first time that i did not have spare tire with me. Lucky one friend passed with car so he drive me home, but anyway not far from home. I learned that no excuse to dont get spare tire, and to dont rely just on sealant)..

The tire had 3400 km, so i explain the explosion that tire is allready worn out (even there was still some traction rubber left).

I have one more tanned tire, and the last batch of tires i ordered are all black version...

FredBloggs

by FredBloggs

You considered that this might be a QC issue? Whilst a different scenario, the tread on my rear literally started to peel away from the carcass. Took some pictures and sent them off to PBK who I bought the tyre from. I received a full refund for both the tyre and cargogna tape. Picked up a Veloflex Arenberg to replace it.

pafori

by pafori

FredBloggs wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:11 am
You considered that this might be a QC issue? Whilst a different scenario, the tread on my rear literally started to peel away from the carcass. Took some pictures and sent them off to PBK who I bought the tyre from. I received a full refund for both the tyre and cargogna tape. Picked up a Veloflex Arenberg to replace it.
Do you have any photos of the tread separating from the casement/carcass? Same happened to me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com