TA Specialites Syrius chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mep

by Mep

At this point I might just wait for Ryan to review the BOR chainrings. Thanks for seemingly having tried every chainring out there! Seems like they come in overweight though, so maybe they don't actually save much over Praxis...

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmm, yes I'm not having alot of luck finding BOR's suitable. If anyone has a link to share please do. From memory I had the same issue with them when I grabed the TAS CR's.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well have finally found a set of mid compact BOR’s, ordered and should be here by early May. Will report back with experiences once I have a few km’s on them.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Mep

by Mep

beanbiken wrote:Well have finally found a set of mid compact BOR’s, ordered and should be here by early May. Will report back with experiences once I have a few km’s on them.
Very cool, looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Ok, bit of an update on the BOR rings which arrived late this week. Fitted up and had to adjust the FD inboard a fair amount, seems these and the TA’s will run a slightly different chain line. Windy and cold here today but got out for a short ride with extra front chain ring shifting of course. Out of say about 20 large chain ring shifts I had only 1 that wasn’t smooth/clean. This is only initial impressions but as alluded to by ryanh shifting is very close to OEM rings. As to the weight the pair of 52/36 rings came in at 135 grams. On a side note I contacted BOR direct before I managed to find the rings on eBay and they got back to me to say that they were updating their product line with a view to relaunching later in the year.
BB

Coffee & carbon

Mep

by Mep

Regarding the weight, did you actually weigh them or go off the printed spec? The ones I've seen have come in overweight from spec.

Edit: 52/36 are claimed 128g and 50/34 claimed 118g.
Last edited by Mep on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Dudemanppl just got them as well:

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Mep wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:43 pm
Regarding the weight, did you actually weigh them or go off the printed spec? The ones I've seen have come in overweight from spec.

Edit: 52/36 are claimed 128g and 50/34 claimed 118g.
Actual weight
BB

Coffee & carbon

Mep

by Mep

That's pretty good, considering it's still lighter than Praxis albeit overweight per spec. I'm going to order one as soon as I need to replace my current ones, hopefully the new lineup is going to be as good as or better.

themidge

by themidge

Does anyone have any experience of using TS Syrius VS BOR vs Stronglight CT2's? They're about the same weight, price, and appearance, so shifting is the only thing to separate them (or not, as the case may be).

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well got out today for our usual weekender though undulating countryside deliberately using the front CR's more than needed. Geez I felt the TAS Syrius rings were a step up over the Extralights [not so sure now :oops: ] but the TA's stink compared to the BOR's. I have never tried the Praxis rings but I imagine the BOR's would be as good or at least very close, maybe RyanH can shed some light there? Anyway I didn't expect as much of an improvement as they have turned out to be. May not be quite as good as OEM rings but close enough to not leave me wanting...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

RyanH

by RyanH

Bear in mind that my experience with the BOR are their 200g 4 bolt rings so they're a different beast but they were every bit as good as Shimano 9100 rings. Praxis on the other hand shift fine with 9150 (not on par with 9100 though). Take up isn't always immediate, sometimes it will wait till the pickup. EPS (and Campy Mech) and Praxis is better, shifting is immediate regardless of pickup timing.

JoO

by JoO

not a comparision but I very much like my stronglight 48/36 CT2 rings. shifts as good or better than campagnolo 50/34 chorus 2014.