TA Specialites Syrius chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Anyone have experience with the above chainrings, particularly shift quality? Thanks in advance

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hmmm, seems like I may have to be the Guinea Pig with this one. Lighter and cheaper than praxis, have shift pins so I hope they will shift better than my Extralights...... seem like they are worth a try.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I haven't used the Syrius rings (which are compact 110 BCD) but I have used several sets of Hegoa (standard, 130BCD) TA rings.

They are light, shift very well (better than Extralite, up with Praxxis), beautifully made.

Highly recommended.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

GJ, thanks for your reply.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Well my CR’s arrived today. Nicely made & weighed in @ 122g (52/36). Replaced Sram Red Exogram rings (52/36 @ 177g). Shifting on the stand with DA9150 seems much better than the Extralites maybe not as precise as the reds but will know more after this weekend, so far quite happy with the experiment.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

Looking forward to the ride report. Maybe the extra grams are worth the sacrifice if better shifting than the Extralite.
Where did you buy them from please. Any duty paid on them once they arrived.
Cheers
Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

beanbiken

by beanbiken

KCookie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:47 am
Looking forward to the ride report. Maybe the extra grams are worth the sacrifice if better shifting than the Extralite.
Where did you buy them from please. Any duty paid on them once they arrived.
Cheers
Mine came from R2 bike, our hosts here have them also, but I wanted something else also that SB didn’t stock. Only paid GST on the order, no additional duties. I agree if the shifting is comparable to the main 3’s and Praxis’ rings the extra few grams will be a small price to pay IMO.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

Good to know. Just GST is alright.
How long did your delivery take, I'm waiting on a parcel from R2 as well, was sent on the 29th.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

KCookie wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:28 am
Good to know. Just GST is alright.
How long did your delivery take, I'm waiting on a parcel from R2 as well, was sent on the 29th.

Ordered/paid 25/08, delivered this morning.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

KCookie

by KCookie

Looks like I have another 4 days then, probably be beginning of next week.

Mep

by Mep

beanbiken wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 am
Well my CR’s arrived today. Nicely made & weighed in @ 122g (52/36). Replaced Sram Red Exogram rings (52/36 @ 177g). Shifting on the stand with DA9150 seems much better than the Extralites maybe not as precise as the reds but will know more after this weekend, so far quite happy with the experiment.

BB
How have the chainrings been for you? Looking for chainrings for SRAM as well, and so far not very encouraged by the reviews on Extralites.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Paging Ryan...

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Mep wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:38 pm
beanbiken wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:44 am

BB
How have the chainrings been for you? Looking for chainrings for SRAM as well, and so far not very encouraged by the reviews on Extralites.
Sorry, missed this. Yes still running the Syrius rings and am quite happy with them. Not as good as OEM rings but much better shift quality than the Extralite's. Took a bit of faffing to get them to where I am comfortable but seem to be there now. Would I buy them again, yes no question. Can't see myself going back to Exytralites...........
BB

Coffee & carbon

RyanH

by RyanH

I have the 52/36. They were extremely finnicky to setup and I can't eliminate the occasional rattling on upshifts. This is with Di2. Mine were 124g so I think they're just too light as I can see them visibly deflect when shifting on the road. It's possible 50t would be better as I think they're similar weight.

I would not buy these again. I'm going to order the BOR rings to try as my 4 bolt ones shifted amazing, every bit as good as DA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beanbiken

by beanbiken

RyanH wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:27 am
I have the 52/36. They were extremely finnicky to setup and I can't eliminate the occasional rattling on upshifts. This is with Di2. Mine were 124g so I think they're just too light as I can see them visibly deflect when shifting on the road. It's possible 50t would be better as I think they're similar weight.

I would not buy these again. I'm going to order the BOR rings to try as my 4 bolt ones shifted amazing, every bit as good as DA.
Hi RyanH, yes your comments would mirror my experiences as I do get the occasional upshift rattle but I'm ok with that. I did look at the BOR rings....... May give them a try also. Thanks for the heads up.
BB

Coffee & carbon