SRM PC8 Powermeter Battery Low Warning

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

I was riding my Tarmac lastnite and got a Powermeter Battery Low message on the PC8.. its the last gen Shimano PM that they produced.... seemed rather strange to me only being a couple of years old.. especially when its supposed to be 3000 hr battery life.

Here is the data from the screen:

serial: 35035
model: 7
software ver: 203
hardware ver 13
operating time : 684:45:20
batt voltage: 3226 Mv
batt status : OK

I don't know if this is associated with it.. but on the site, the downloadale firmware file for the PC8 is 3.0.4
A little while ago my PC8DeviceAgent software updated twice and I ended up with firmware file 3.0.6

Mailed SRM lastnite about it, but havent heard back yet.. going out in a bit.. so will see if the message pops up again.. Im not noticing anything weird happening with power numbers.. they all seem normal...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Got a reply back.. batt is 2 weeks to 2 months from dying... batt levels are in a group of 5.. OK is one step before critical... apparently my firmware version is also famous for spitting out battery errors...

sungod

by sungod

battery life will vary with operating temperature as well as usage, my srm is about 10 years old, probably replace batteries about every 3 years

if yours uses the same battery type (lithium thionyl chloride) then 3.2v is close to dead, the nominal voltage is over 3.5v and very stable most of it's life, then towards the end the voltage drops fast