Workswell WCB-R-166(D) and Tuffcycle wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Teun

by Teun

Please find attached some pictures of my new build. It is actually my first "Chinese" bicycle, even though I have been riding and racing bikes for 34 years now. Before I have always been lucky enough to ride major brands and often custom made/tailored. So I had no previous experiences and I must admit I was pretty nervous after hearing all of the stories about bad bikes and bad service. One remark beforehand: I WAS WRONG! In short: communication with the ladies at Workswell and Tuffcycles was (and still is) great, service has been exemplary, focus on quality very high. One issue was resolved under warranty but this is just something that can happen - and honestly Workswell could not have done a better job in handling it. I wish the major brands were this service-friendly. But maybe that is just me...
Some critical points though: the grommets were not able to take di2 cables as they came. I used a small saw to cut a slot in them to mount them and had no problems. Also guiding the cables through the handlebar takes some patience and thought - Think before you put yours in!

As for the wheels: tuffcycle are a young brand and they were actually the reason why I started this build. I was sceptical about their claims that they built wheels that can compare to the high-end stuff from A brands, but honestly these wheels are just that: perfect ride, lightweight and especially strong. So much even that I joined their family (yes I am biased :lol: :D ) Here no gripes either, and thankyou to Jasmine for recommending their "own" hubs over the 240S'es - these are wonderfully smooth and will most likey last a lifetime before anything happens to them.

All-in-all:
frame + Fork: Workswell WCB-R-166(D) => 56 cm. 1456 grams on scale
Stem: Workswell carbon WSC-005 => 8 degrees, 120mm. 265 grams on scale
Handlebars: Workswell WHB-017 44cm. => sizes up like a 42.5, so choose one wider than you are used to. 228 grams on scale.
Groupset: Shimano R8070 => weight: strong mostly, choose Dura Ace for lightweight. 3900 grams on scale including smaller parts like bottleholder, saddle bag etc.
Wheelset: Tuffcycle Disc w. 25mm Continental GP4000SII tires => 45/45mm, Simplus hubs, 1496 grams on scale w. rim tape installed.

Total weight on the road 7,61 kilos.
If you want any more pics or information (especially regarding the wheels :wink: ) just let me know,
Enjoy the pictures!
Wheels arrived first
Wheels arrived first
IMG_0492[1].JPG
IMG_0536[1].JPG
Out of the box
Out of the box
Build part 1: dialling in seating position
Build part 1: dialling in seating position
Crack in the bar: picture sent to Stephie, She started up root cause analysis and sent a replacement one.
Crack in the bar: picture sent to Stephie, She started up root cause analysis and sent a replacement one.
Result: one cool bike in Switzerland :-)
Result: one cool bike in Switzerland :-)
IMG_0565[1].JPG

Sammyc

by Sammyc

Hi, I've just ordered one of these frames, how do you find it to ride? How was the build? I haven't been able to work out from pictures how the seat post is clamped, is it obvious?

What are the handlebars like, stiff of flexy?

Any more photos? :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigPoser

by BigPoser

Looks great! I don't see that model on the Workswell website though.

Have a link?

Sammyc

by Sammyc

It's not on their website yet, but if you look in their Facebook feed you can see it. I'm not sure how to link to Facebook posts!

It's very similar in geometry to the Yeoleo R6 by the looks of the charts

Teun

by Teun

Sammyc wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:35 pm
Hi, I've just ordered one of these frames, how do you find it to ride? How was the build? I haven't been able to work out from pictures how the seat post is clamped, is it obvious?

What are the handlebars like, stiff of flexy?

Any more photos? :)
Sorry for my late reply - I’ve ridden this one for about a year now. Must say it’s no different than any top-end bike.
No signs of wear or anything. The ride itsself is a bit on the “classic” side, stable and very stiff in the top tube. Honestly I wish I could complain but its actually a very good frame to ride.

The build was easy - just stuck on the parts and set them properly. No creaking anywhere but I admittedly cheated a bit by installing a Cema interlock bb. Cable routing is easy enough. Just mind that the chain stay di2 routing is tight, so make sure to always stick an extension to tha cable when fiddling with them (...yeah I lost a cable in there once).

Handlebars are actually quite stiff - stiffer than Specialized S-works and alloy 3T I use on my other bikes
Attachments
A5B7823C-4695-4A79-BD20-C59832D14D54.jpeg