Sram eTap rear derailleur sporadically stops shifting - then performs all queued shifts at once?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bassett

by Bassett

It seems to be a known issue , and as I have posted on the sram 6 months in thread I have had two fail since March both Long cage .

SkiRat

by SkiRat

I am also having the same problem. I got my ETap in June 2018. It started acting up after 3 weeks. I learned a way to make it stop (shift back up - shift back down). It always happens downshifting (moving in). Now September 2018 it got real bad again and almost doesn't shift. I road home as a 2 speed this week. Time for warranty replacement it seems. Mine has the number 1006858757 etched on the rear derailleur and on the box (this is the SN). Also on the box is 00.7518.085.000 I think this is the part number since it is the same as someone else on this forum posted. Mine says week 6 of 2018.
PS, when the Etap is working correctly it is super sweet and on my custom Ti Serotta it looks great, no cables, no wires, no junction boxes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scottegriffin

by scottegriffin

I had this exact same problem, a July. SRAM replaced the RD without question. The new RD was working fine for two months, same as the previous one, and then started to develop the same problem as the first one, so I'll have to head into the local bike shop again.

Anyway, what I noticed is that the frequency of the issue gets worse with time. Initially, it was once a week, then 3 times a week, then on every ride (x4 per week), then on multiple occassions per ride, which wasn't ideal in the Hollywood Hills......

Does anyone know what the issue actually is? Is the RD, or the other components.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

You guys have a lot more patience than I do! If my equipment was giving me this sort of hassle I would have torched it by now and moved onto something that worked reliably.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:27 am
You guys have a lot more patience than I do! If my equipment was giving me this sort of hassle I would have torched it by now and moved onto something that worked reliably.
Exactly the way i feel about my Di2 system.
It just killed the 4th battery!
I'll try a new battery, but if this dies aswell, i am forced to turn to mechanical at my gravel bike.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

n8236

by n8236

Got full eTap HRD 6 months ago and about halfway through, the non-responsive rd issue started to act up. It issue seems to be gradually getting worse. It started with less than 30 seconds of non-responsiveness and now up to minutes at a time, happening multiple times on a single 2-3 hour ride. I'm disgusted by this. I brought it into my lbs and the initial impression is a bad/old shifter cell battery, but also mentioned updating the firmware. Idk if they're just talking outta their behind or what, but the battery theory makes no sense since shifting the front chainring when hitting both shifters is flawless.

jbattermann

by jbattermann

n8236 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:32 am
Got full eTap HRD 6 months ago and about halfway through, the non-responsive rd issue started to act up. It issue seems to be gradually getting worse. It started with less than 30 seconds of non-responsiveness and now up to minutes at a time, happening multiple times on a single 2-3 hour ride. I'm disgusted by this. I brought it into my lbs and the initial impression is a bad/old shifter cell battery, but also mentioned updating the firmware. Idk if they're just talking outta their behind or what, but the battery theory makes no sense since shifting the front chainring when hitting both shifters is flawless.
That's the exact same symptoms I had and if your LBS contacted their SRAM rep / support, they'd get a pretty clear and immediate answer to send it in for exchange.. at least that's my experience now. At the end I got my two eTap derailleurs exchanged - one of them I had ordered from bike24 and it only took them 5 days (including one day shipping from me to them and the exchanged one vice versa) to check back with Sram and exchange it and the other one was from a lbs and they had the exact same experience - called their rep and it got replaced immediately without further questions .. so it appears they are at least somewhat aware of the problem ooor Sram has just a no-questions-asked replacement strategy in general. One replacement one is from WK34 2018, the other one from WK31 20018.. the original / affected ones were from WK16 and WK25 2017 respectively.

octav

by octav

Just selling today my ETAP and getting the new SR12 for the road bike and putting the Super Record 11 on the cyclocross/gravel bike :D Back to mechanical although my Etap was faultless :)
Maybe the next iteration will be more reliable? All in all is a nice system which looks really great.

jlok

by jlok

octav wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:38 am
Just selling today my ETAP and getting the new SR12 for the road bike and putting the Super Record 11 on the cyclocross/gravel bike :D Back to mechanical although my Etap was faultless :)
Maybe the next iteration will be more reliable? All in all is a nice system which looks really great.
It's like all good stuffs talking about your ex but you still broke up with. Then :beerchug:
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

insightt47

by insightt47

My etap rear derailleur failed on me after less than 200km of use. It stops respoding than starts working again after aout 30 secs. It happened about 10 times on my last ride. Sram should not be selling products they know are faulty. This is a joke...

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Have no way of knowing whether this information is accurate or not, but I warrantied a customers rear derailleur earlier this week. The second instance of no response/stored shifts failure that I have personally been involved with. When talking with the Sram warranty rep he indeed advised that this has been appearing on their radar more and more, but the overall defect rate is still very low. He also said that so far this has only been reported on WiFli RD's. Anyone here have a short cage with symptoms? I personally have owned etap since 2016 with no issues other than one broken battery tab.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

jbattermann

by jbattermann

wheelbuilder wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 am
Anyone here have a short cage with symptoms?
I have.. well.. had the short cage one(s) prior to it being exchanged by Sram here in Germany.

cyclingyen

by cyclingyen

Yes I had a SC and it was hesitating moving ½ way up block then it would freeze and goto sleep then complete what shifts I did. I'm in the UK, bought the gearset from a Northern Ireland shop Chain Reaction and rang their customer service and they mis-informed me and didn't say I'd get the cost of having the gearset looked at by a sram dealer. So I wasn't happy on this at all! I then sent the while gearset to the shop and they then realised what I meant - sent it on to the importers and they replaced the RD. I fitted it back on the be bike and was fine. Tho I've since sold the SC and acquired a LC for preferance for gears, I'm convinced they had a bad batch as per the WKS quotation above 👌

CannondaleETAPwifly

by CannondaleETAPwifly

I have a Cannodale Synapse Hi Mod disc ETAP which has had two replacement rear wifli derailleurs in 6 months due to poor reliabilty. When trying to change gear on the rear cassette nothing happens after pushing the lever then after a minute or so it might decide to change which is far to late as you barrel into a steep hill and cannot change down to an easier gear. The failures are random in occurence and duration. Luckily they have been witnessed by mechanics from a bike shop and friends I ride with. I believe the SRAM ETAP Wifli has a design fault. I have done all the usual things inluding new batteries all round but nothing fixes it other than a replacement wifli derailleur which will probably fail again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com