Pedal power meter or crank based?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

But that's not what I was suggesting at all? All I said was a pedal based power meter would be pretty convenient while traveling for those people who don't mind renting or borrowing bikes abroad. It was a passing thought about one possible advantage. My own preferences are whatever. I personally don't care for traveling with my own bike...it has very little sentimental value to me.

I also think crank-based PMs are fine except almost for the issue of almost all of them being Shimano crank-based. It would be nice if there were more dual-sided crank solutions because I'm not putting DA cranks on a SRAM eTap or Campy Super Record bike.

For me it's dual pedals>=dual cranks>spider=spindle>single pedal>single crank. I don't know where to put PowerTap hubs...they have their uses and are probably the most accurate in terms of real-world power application, but just not a good option for people with multiple wheelsets and/or direct-drive trainers

edits: additional thoughts
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:26 am, edited 9 times in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:00 am
But that's not what I was suggesting at all? All I said was a pedal based power meter would be pretty convenient while traveling for those people who don't mind renting or borrowing bikes abroad.
Yes, I suppose they would. :)
OP should get some.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I too love my Dura Ace pedals and I’m sticking to crank spider based PM (Quarq DFour). The only downside is that I have no PM on my tandem. A pedal based PM would allow me to have power on the tandem but I can get over it. On a tandem the captain’s crank spider is on the left side and hence a crank based PM would be turning in reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Having the power meter in the pedal has obvious advantages as stated, provided the pedal platform suits your needs.
I am on the Favero Duo's since a few months and I have to say they're great esp. for the price.
I used power meters in hubs, cranks and pedals and the latter wins (for me).

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Anyone given the SRM Exakts a fair shot yet? I like my SRM crank based, but this having to send cranks down from Canada for battery is driving me nutz...

kytyree

by kytyree

Have had both, used several crank based meters over the years (SRM, quarq) and have had pedals for a couple of seasons now. I can't see me giving up pedals anytime soon. I've always preferred Look type pedals so that part is easy for me...

I don't mind renting bikes, it's fun to try out something new if I'm traveling. And I prefer to travel light, if I want I can still get away with just a carry on.

And no need to spend money on another crank based powermeter if I decide to go n+1 on my road bikes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 pm
Anyone given the SRM Exakts a fair shot yet? I like my SRM crank based, but this having to send cranks down from Canada for battery is driving me nutz...

There is only one feature in the Exakts that intrigues me. The magnet in the pedal body for cadence measurement. This helps eliminates power spikes from accelerometer-based cadence sensors when you hit a pothole or bunny-hop or otherwise jolt your bike really hard.

The reality is my Vectors almost never had power spikes though, so really they’re just overpriced with a more involved installation process and no Cycling Dynamics.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've owned my vector3 since release... only 1 spike (just recently)...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Seedster

by Seedster

ParisCarbon wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:43 pm
I have a pair of Exakt dual sided pedals and an SRM crankset. I purchased the SRM pedals because i didnt want to deal with selling my clavicula SE which I like very much. I would have settled for the Vector 3 from Garmin, but so many reported having issues with dropouts from dysfunctional battery doors and bad QC that i gladly paid the premium to not deal with warranty claims (see youtube and/or DCRainmaker).

The install was a little more finicky than advertised, but the USA customer service was solid and they stayed on the call to troubleshoot. Since install, they have been perfect. The numbers closely match what I see with my crankbased powermeter. Charging is easy and the accompanying app works smoothly (are you listening campagnolo?)! I recommend them and with the PC8 you can capture all the pedal dynamic data one could need. It's taking a little longer to acclimate to look keo from Time Xpresso.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:27 am
I've owned my vector3 since release... only 1 spike (just recently)...
I can get my Vector 3s to spike if I want to, but yeah, it's exceedingly rare for it to just happen randomly.

jlok

by jlok

Just pay a visit to Garmin forum and you will see lots of complaints. My friend got the replacement battery doors but still got signal drop out. I feel so bad about it as I thought V3 was a good stuff and recommended it.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jlok wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:21 am
Just pay a visit to Garmin forum and you will see lots of complaints. My friend got the replacement battery doors but still got signal drop out. I feel so bad about it as I thought V3 was a good stuff and recommended it.
Mine came with new doors. I'm using CR1/3N batteries and so far so good. The only issue I have with them is the right pedal goes to sleep sometimes on descents if I don't soft pedal. It hardly affects anything since I'm not actually putting out power, but it does cause L/R balance to display as like 54/46 or 53/47 when I'm usually 51/49 or sometimes 50/50.

jlok

by jlok

yea I told him to try the CR1/3N battery recently. Hopefully he could get it fixed.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kytyree

by kytyree

Sounds pretty similar to the problem Powertap had with their pedals at first. I got mine after they'd sorted that out and they've worked well.

I'm not sure which of the three I'd get now, if I was doing it over again. But I couldn't pass up on the trade in that Powertap offered me, I turned in my old hub that wasn't much use to anyone anymore unless you needed parts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Favero Assioma Duo are probably the best overall unless you really want Cycling Dynamics (nobody does) or you train indoors a lot on Zwift with an iOS/tvOS device. Only the Vector 3s and Exakts have the ability to appear as a single BT device in an app like Zwift. Assioma and PowerTap pedals appear as separate devices and whichever you pair gets its power doubled.

I imagine P1 pedals will get a P2 upgrade by early spring, and more players will enter the pedal PM market. (Wahoo.)