Pedal power meter or crank based?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

surfinguru

by surfinguru

Riding a Spesh SL4 Tarmac Pro with the stock crank set and PowerTap P1 pedals for about a year now and haven't had any issues with them. I've been contemplating moving to a SRAM Red DZero set up though (using eTap) and going back to my DuraAce pedals. Pros/cons?
2014 Tarmac Pro -eTap Red

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

There’s a member selling 2 sworks power cranks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I would really hate to give up my Dura-Ace pedals for any reason. And I much prefer a crank based power meter over any of the others... pedal based, hub based, or crank arm based.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Calnago wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:58 pm
I would really hate to give up my Dura-Ace pedals for any reason. And I much prefer a crank based power meter over any of the others... pedal based, hub based, or crank arm based.
Indeed. I think the crank is the best place for a PM. I would never want to limit my choice of pedal.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Pedal based works for me as I’ve never tried shimano pedals and my looks were noisy. So far Favero pedals have been great! Crank and pedals also come in at 900gr for a GXP setup with AB oval rings, happy with the setup. Gravel bike has a powertap Disc hub and I want to switch to a crank based setup there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Pedals are by far the easiest to live with IMO, especially if you want to rent bikes while traveling. (Screw traveling with an expensive carbon bike unless you have something like a Buxum.)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d never even consider traveling to a cool cycling destination and not bringing my own bike. Ugh! A rental?... mais non!!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A bike's a bike! :lol:

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

alcatraz wrote:A bike's a bike! :lol:
Is it?... :)

silvalis

by silvalis

Some bikes are more equal than others :lol:
Chasse patate

robertbb

by robertbb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:52 pm
Pedals are by far the easiest to live with IMO, especially if you want to rent bikes while traveling. (Screw traveling with an expensive carbon bike unless you have something like a Buxum.)
+1. Especially the right pedal PM, which is obviously Favero Assioma Duo at the moment.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I’d love to travel with my bike, but...

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/bahr ... gow-391320

Even if I use a Buxum and pack everything perfectly, security still might break the lock, take everything out and throw it all back in insecurely.

Meh, I’ll just plan ahead, take out an RCC Canyon when available, scout ahead for nice shops which rent bikes or borrow one from a friend.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Well, you can always use google to find anything you want on the internet about anything, but I've travelled a lot with a bike over the years and sure... anything we do in life will always involve a bit of risk, but I'm sure glad I had my own bike wherever I've travelled to. Probably a lot harder to travel with disc brakes as well. The last thing I want to do when I get to a cycling vacation destination is to be scouting around for an appropriate bike. Doesn't sound like you've ever travelled (flown internationally) with a bike... because of course security is going to open up the box to have a look. That's what security does. Expect it, there is no "might" invovled. Make it easy for them to see everything inside when they do, so that they don't have to be figuring out how to put everything perfectly back in place, because they won't. Anwyay, off topic. Crank based power meters for me, travel or no travel.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That news blurb was posted yesterday and made the social media / news rounds. Not sure why you think I Googled it or why that even matters. Also why attack my credibility again by implying I haven't traveled internationally with a bike? In previous discussions you harped on my use of absolutes and now you harp on my avoidance of it.

Also lol at "making it easy for them to see everything inside." It hasn't happened to me, but a friend has had his wheels removed from their sleeved compartments and thrown directly into the main compartment. He also had his foam padding removed and thrown loosely into the box again. BTW, this is the key part of the "might" in my previous post. They might take a quick peek in your box...they might be assholes and take everything out. I have no way of knowing if my impeccably packed, organized Buxum will pass a random security person's eye-test, because the reasons for unpacking the box are usually irrational.

Bikes getting damaged through air travel is a very real and common phenomenon. It really doesn't matter how well you pack your case. What matters is how disgruntled the person inspecting your box is that day. After playing the odds a couple times and coming out okay, if I wanted to travel with my own bike now I'd probably use BikeFlights when feasible. Probably 9/10 times though, I'll elect to just procure a bike at my destination.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You’re right, stuff happens. No matter what. So stay home. Close your shutters. Don’t go out. Bad things might happen. I’m taking my bike with me. If it gets lost, stolen, crashed, misplaced... that’s a risk I’m willing to take, and have many times.