Bib abrasion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Anyone else getting abrasion in this bib area? (not 100% sure but it probably coresponds to middle of saddle length) In my case it is more pronounced on the right leg, maybe because it is the leg I unclip and put down, or because I hop on the bike from the right side. What I damaged so far is: castelli entry level forgot the name, lasted for over 2 years; Castelli Inferno holed after about 2-3000Km, not great but let's say OK. Castelli Free Aero race, holed after just 600Km (attached) - this is a huge disappointment. I also have a pair of Assos S7 which I used much less, about 500Km - there are some small signs on the fabric but nowhere near getting a hole. Saddles used Aliante 00 and Aspide FX with intact covers. I think I will switch to cheap Btwin kit. Pads are OK and if it breaks wallet won't cry....
Attachments
cccc1.jpg
cccc22.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moonoi

by moonoi

What saddle are you using, I had a similar problem and that turned out to be the issue. I had a Fizik Kurve Snake and the bibs would occasionally get caught in the seam around the saddle (highlighted in red), changed the saddle and the damage to my bibs stopped.
Fizik Kurve Snake Aluminium saddle.jpg

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:59 am
Aliante 00
My guess would be your shirts are scraping against the rough taped area around the saddle rails. As I recall there is another thread about this issue somewhere on the forum and I suffered from it myself back when I was using an Antares R1. Incidentally moonoi's Kurve saddle just above also has the same tape around the rails.
Last edited by MayhemSWE on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

Had the same issue.
Saddles used are SMP Full Carbon and SMP Composit, damaged Rapha PT bibs after just two weeks I think.
No other of my numerous bib short have shown this issue thus far (including another pair of Rapha PT).
For me it's also at the side where I unclip, but I don't know for sure if that has anything to do with it.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Is there any anti slip embroidery stitching on your saddles?

or what about the seatpost head? Using slr type saddles, I rub these with what my thighs as the saddle only just clears the head.

Shorts too big and rucking, allowing them to snag?
Official cafe stop tester

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

First two bibs were used with the Aliante 00, the new ones that failed so fast were on a brand new Aspide (bought same time). Both saddles have similar fake-leather covers, no seams or plastic parts int he middle. I'll try to see what that area rubs to by hoping on the trainer....

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

A first quick check seems to blame the bag strap! The area also touches on the bag some. It doesn't seem to touch the saddle at all. I also see polishing on the right side corner of the lower clamp. I haven't used this bag for long though, so the wear on the first bibs was smth else, maybe the rear light which i tended to mount high up before getting the bag.

The darn strap definitly feels gritty to the touch. I will try to sew some lycra over it.
Attachments
cccc4.jpg

boots2000

by boots2000

I used to get this when I was using a Fizik Antares saddle. No other saddle ever did this to my bibs.
It would happen epsecially quickly on rainy rides. One wet ride would almost burn through the fabric on my bibs- And this was with full fenders.

srshaw

by srshaw

I has a similar issue with a kurve snake. I really think the issue was the rough saddle rail reinforcement (or anti slip, not sure what the tape stuff is for) rather than the grooves on the saddle itself. In any case I replaced it with an arione and no further damage to shorts.

willmac

by willmac

I had an Antares that burnt through bibs but I think it was the actual siping in the fabric on it. I didn’t like it much for fit either so swapped to an arione. Different abrasion and more like yours. I wrapped some electrical tape around the wrapped carbon rail and it’s been good for the last two years

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com