Wheels Manufacturing BB Insert

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Which of their models do you recommend? They have versions that seem to be simply pressed (one half into the other) and other versions where both halves are screwed into one another. Is any of the two preferable over the other and, if so, why?

As regards bearings, I'm hesitating between their ABEC-3 version and their angular contact bearings. Not considering the $125 pricier ceramic bearings. Of the two I'm considering, which would be better, and why?

This is to replace the BB86 pressed in bearings in my Canyon, which have developed an annoying "ticking" sound at about 3000 km only...

Jugi

by Jugi

To replace a klicking or ticking pressfit bottom bracket, go for the screwed into one another -model. That’s an upgrade and will most likely get rid of the noises. A pressfit is just a pressfit, the bearings may be higher quality but the original problem (which causes the unwanted noises) does not get resolved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I have been using their Thread Together BB. Good stuffs. Even the cheapest abec3 bearings are smooth.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

NickJHP

by NickJHP

I've installed several of the thread-together models, and they've all been completely trouble-free since installation. The oldest of them has probably done about 30,000km by now. I use the model with angular contact bearings, as (provided you set the preload correctly) the load is shared across more of the balls.

naylor343

by naylor343

Worth a look here:
https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts.html

Also look through his blog and YouTube videos, if you want to know the pros and cons of different bearings, this is your guy.

bat82

by bat82

naylor343 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:44 am
Worth a look here:

Also look through his blog and YouTube videos, if you want to know the pros and cons of different bearings, this is your guy.
I second this.

I have Hambini's PF30 to Shimano BB in my 2013 Cannondale Evo Black Inc. Noticably stiffer BB, no more creaking, ultra smooth spinning. My cranks now spin like it does in all those fancy YouTube vids of bikes with Ceramic Speed bearings and oversized pulleys. Except Hambini's solution is a lot cheaper, easier to service and maintain and actually works when loaded / under stress.

I highly recommend his cycling related YouTube content. Gives a good perspective on much of the bike industry's marketing b/s.

ms6073

by ms6073

naylor343 wrote:
Worth a look here: https://www.hambini.com/bike-parts.html
Wish he would make some more of the Shimano BB86 Racing assemblies.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

nycebo

by nycebo

jlok wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:14 am
I have been using their Thread Together BB. Good stuffs. Even the cheapest abec3 bearings are smooth.
I second this. I LOVE the thread together BB with the angular bearings. No need for overpriced ceramic.

nycebo

by nycebo

naylor343 wrote:
Worth a look here:

Damn you. That bottom bracket, especially in bright orange, is STUNNING.

Quick question on installation: Any concerns about pressing through to the other side from the inside? Is it easy to align?

ms6073

by ms6073

nycebo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:28 pm
Quick question on installation: Any concerns about pressing through to the other side from the inside? Is it easy to align?
Have you watched the Hambini installation video? While I cannot speak to the Hambini BB, I do have experience with BBInfinite, which has a similar installation process. You will need a reasonably good quality tool for pressing in the assembly but you should first check to make sure there are no obstructions such as molded cable guides or cable guide screws/bolts protruding into the channel. Also check the faces inside the bottom bracket for sharp edges that might snag the bb assembly while pressing in and if there are sharp faces, use an appropriate tool to try and round them off.

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I just replaced my ticking BB86 press fit with a Shimano PF unit. It's already creaking. I cleaned it with acetone, then 90% alcohol used loctite, rechecked the install/press, and it is still creaking. I'm going to try to treaded units now.
Note on the threaded units, if you're DIY - you need two x 16prong FSA MegaExo / Shimano 9000 tools.

Ceramic bearings are a waste of money. The advantage would be longevity in clean environments and marginal savings (1-2w) under high stress (sprinting). Your grease gets contaminated on your bike bearings with dirt and moisture, erasing these advantages. You'll be super OK with the ABEC-3 units. Angular contact would be a short term performance advantage, until the grease ruins things, assuming you can get the lateral load OK. Looking at the bearing seals and probably lateral adjustment would yield more results than any bearing type difference.

nycebo

by nycebo

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm
Have you watched the Hambini installation video?
I did and it went very smoothly. I just wondered how actual users' experiences progressed. Your advice is well heeded. I wish the BB86 in bright orange were in stock. :cry:

bat82

by bat82

nycebo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:37 pm
Have you watched the Hambini installation video?
I did and it went very smoothly. I just wondered how actual users' experiences progressed. Your advice is well heeded. I wish the BB86 in bright orange were in stock. :cry:
My installation went as smooth as it does in his video. I used a home made press and the installation tool that comes witht the BB.

ms6073

by ms6073

nycebo wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:00 pm
I just wondered how actual users' experiences progressed.
My first try with BBInfinite was what spawned the comments in my previous post, but subsequent installations have gone rather smoothly by comparison.
- Michael

Js2

by Js2

I recently installed hambini one on my Tarmac SL6 (bb30 to 24mm shimano), very high quality and precise fitment. :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com