Wheels Manufacturing BB Insert

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Thanks for the info. Looked at Hambini's stuff and ordering from Canada what seems to be UK products at 160+ British Pounds would not have made much sense for me.

Given the positive feedback on the Wheels Mnfng stuff, I ordered the screw-together version with angular contact bearings and the tools needed. Easily delivered near the border 40 km from home at no cost.

Looking forward to installing this and hopefully enjoying a silent BB for a couple seasons to come!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

Just to chirp in here.

Firstly thanks to everyone who commented about my stuff, it always makes me humbled.

As for the question about the bottom bracket, with a thread together unit, you might still get creak because the force distribution is not as the frame designer intended. The threading together squeezes the sides of the bottom bracket apeture as opposed to putting the carbon fibre/metal inside the hole into tension. This may or may not be a problem. I have never encountered an issue but I know others have.

And in my engineering opinion, angular contact bearings are not worth it on a bottom bracket. An angular contact bearing (bearing number usually starts with a 7) has a whole load more drag than a deep groove ball bearing (bearing number starts with a 6, most common type). The deep groove ball bearing will easily take the load and you don't have the drag.

The life of a bottom bracket is also heavily commented on with some people saying they get 12,000km out of a BB whilst others get only 3000km. This is heavily influenced by

Contamination
Torque (rider weight)
Normal Pedalling cadence (higher = less load)
Length of cranks

so as an example, if you took two riders of identical weight and they pedalled at the same nominal power but one was pedalling at 60RPM whilst the other was doing 100RPM. The rider doing the 100RPM would get significantly (~60%+) more life out of their bearings (It's a log relationship).

Hope that hleps
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

ms6073

by ms6073

hambini wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm
Hope that helps
Thanks. Now could you go and manufacture some of the BB86 Shimano racing bottom brackets for us yanks to order? :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

hambini

by hambini

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm
hambini wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:36 pm
Hope that helps
Thanks. Now could you go and manufacture some of the BB86 Shimano racing bottom brackets for us yanks to order? :beerchug:
LOL You can thank your illustrious leader for spooking the metal markets and your defence department for having a ridiculous power requirement on the F35 STOVL aircraft - this has consumed a load of my bottom bracket making time!

:D Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

nycebo

by nycebo

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 pm
In orange! Pretty please?

ms6073

by ms6073

hambini wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 pm
LOL You can thank your illustrious leader for spooking the metal markets and your defense department for having a ridiculous power requirement on the F35 STOVL aircraft
Well I darn sure didn't vote for him, but the way things are headed, we are probably going to need a lot more F35's. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

hambini

by hambini

ms6073 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:18 pm
hambini wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:09 pm
LOL You can thank your illustrious leader for spooking the metal markets and your defense department for having a ridiculous power requirement on the F35 STOVL aircraft
Well I darn sure didn't vote for him, but the way things are headed, we are probably going to need a lot more F35's. :beerchug:
PMSL