Any SRM Origin owners in the house?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Quarq Dzero without rings is 560g and Origin is 520g roughly. I've had 6 Quarqs and broken 4 of them, so....

Kazyole

by Kazyole

RyanH wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 am
Quarq Dzero without rings is 560g and Origin is 520g roughly. I've had 6 Quarqs and broken 4 of them, so....
Ah yeah, it's not boatloads lighter than your other options and the price is on the steep side.

I've had two Quarqs, both with issues. First one broke, second one would display wacky power if there was any moisture on the ground.

The origin has been flawless so far, but if I'm honest with myself I bought it mostly because I like the way it looks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

survivor

by survivor

I stopped by the SRM booth at Sea Otter Classic last week and they told me they are planning to roll out new circuit board that would allow them to do dual side power calculation. They are likely to annouce it during Eurobike.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

RyanH wrote:
130 BCD? Because 110BCD version is 530g (+/- 3): 410 for cranks, 120 for the spider (NHB in this case).
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

petromyzon

by petromyzon

Hopefully the new circuit board will have some active temperature compensation like pretty much every power meter on the planet has these days. Blew my mind when I read that SRM hadn't implemented that yet. Can't help but be pessimistic about the future for that company. Being reliable is one side of the coin, giving good quality data is another. I've had 2 Quarqs and neither broke or burst into flames.

Yeah that THM arm is ugly as sin but did you really expect them to make a mould for the incredibly small intersection of people that ride 165s and are willing to shell for their arms?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

RyanH wrote:
Errrr, no.

I've had two DZero's on the scales this week.

110BCD / 175mm / BB30 - 541.4g
110BCD / 172.5mm / BB30 - 534.9g

110BCD 50T Carbon Ti X-CarboRing - 81.3g
110BCD 34T Carbon Ti X-CarboRing - 29.7g

So the 172.5 DZero & compact CarboRings = 645.9g

As for reliability, used my DZero pretty much daily for 18 months without a hiccup. It's been so good, I've just bought another.

I'm not flaming SRM here, just pointing out the crazy price for not a lot of weight saving. And that 165mm crankset is just appauling.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

AZR3

by AZR3

My 110 Dzero spider is 121.7g and 532.8g with Red BB30 170mm arms. I wouldn’t waste money on the SRM to save 12g plus Quarq customer service is super fast.

RyanH

by RyanH

Sorry weight included spacers.

survivor

by survivor

Need some help from the SRM Origin owners here. Can anyone help to take a photo of your installed SRM Origin on your bike to see whether there are small holes surrounding the spindle on the drive side? There is a slim spacer thing that came with the SRM Origin, is that suppose to be on the drive side to cover up the holes or on the non-drive side?

survivor

by survivor

Can anyone also help to advise on the SRM Origin charging light status? Have been charging the unit for hours but the red light still blinks. How do I know whether the unit has been fully charged?

johnrho

by johnrho

I’m not sure what holes you’re referring to but the spacer goes on the non-drive side. As for the LED, I’ve never encountered that. When charging the LED should be solid red and turn solid green when fully charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’d be directing these questions to SRM directly.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

survivor

by survivor

johnrho wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:02 pm
I’m not sure what holes you’re referring to but the spacer goes on the non-drive side. As for the LED, I’ve never encountered that. When charging the LED should be solid red and turn solid green when fully charged.

This is good to know. When I plugged it in the LED blinks red. It left it overnight and it is still blinks. It never turn green. Typically how long woul it take to full charge the unit? Since it is USB, I assume it will work with any other standard USB plugs from iphone or ipad or Garmin?

There is a spacer kinda thing on the spindle as shown below. I am not sure whether it is a spacer. It doesn't look like a typical spacer. I was wondering whether it is a cover for the holes at the end of the spindle on the drive side.

johnrho

by johnrho

Yeah as Calnago mentioned I would put in a call into SRM support. I’ve never encountered what you’re showing in the pic or the charging situation you’re describing. Normally it takes 5-6 hours to charge fully. Btw here’s the manual from SRMs site.

http://www.srm.de/fileadmin/user_upload ... 4mm_EN.pdf

survivor

by survivor

johnrho wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:27 pm
Yeah as Calnago mentioned I would put in a call into SRM support. I’ve never encountered what you’re showing in the pic or the charging situation you’re describing. Normally it takes 5-6 hours to charge fully. Btw here’s the manual from SRMs site.

http://www.srm.de/fileadmin/user_upload ... 4mm_EN.pdf

Charging I ssue resolved. It seems there maybe some contamination on the charging connector previously which prevented the charging connection to establish. A quick clean with cotton swap solved the problem.

I am still wondering what that piece of spacer looking thing is. Do you have that with yours? What it suppose to do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com