Any SRM Origin owners in the house?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

avispa

by avispa

If you won an SRM Origin, can you please describe your experiences with it. How long you've own it, what good/bad about it...
Thanks!

RyanH

by RyanH

I have one. As far as being a power meter, it's just like any other SRM. The design is clever but not very weight weenie. The tri-lobe crank length adjustment means they only have to make one crank arm length to offer 3 sizes, which saves them money but weighs 60g more than THM arms. 4 bolt also allows them to offer one size for compatibility with standard and compact chainrings but my BOR 53/39 are obscenely heavy at 200g.

If I was choosing between the thm version and the Origin, I'd get the THM unless you want Shimano rings or the rechargeable battery option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I own one as well. As far as a training weenie tool it’s as you would expect with the partnerships. Sharp looking and works well. It’s not the best unit for travel as pulling it apart and putting it back like the THMs involves loctite and a torque wrench. It’s also not the most durable finish for racing (as you would expect).

Having said that the ability to have the spindle changed is great. I don’t use the rechargeable unit and I have the Shimano faceplate for Shimano rings. I also dig the trilobes from an experimentation standpoint but you do need to be mindful of how they are inserted and keep track of them if you travel. Adds a bit of weight but it’s still a pretty svelte setup.
Just ride ..

boots2000

by boots2000

I have one- It has worked great. Though as others have mentioned, the finish on the cranks is not durable. Mine have a bunch of chips of clear coat missing.
Origin is 60 some grams lighter than the 9000. I would say the 9000 is more robust, easy to remove, re-install, etc.. Don't have to baby the 9000.

Kazyole

by Kazyole

I have one set up with Carbon-Ti rings. Reasonably light setup though not the lightest. Looks great, performs admirably. The trilobe thing is interesting but is more of a benefit to SRM for simplifying their production than it is to me, as I'm sticking at 170. Rechargable battery is a nice feature. I haven't had it go dead on me yet so the battery life is at least good enough. I plug it in maybe every few weeks. Shfiting with the carbon ti rings and Di2 has been perfectly fine.

avispa

by avispa

itsacarr wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:34 pm
....It’s not the best unit for travel as pulling it apart and putting it back like the THMs involves loctite and a torque wrench...
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Now, itsacarr, what do you mean by "involves loctite"? Do you have to put Loctite on the trilobes or where in the crankset are you referring to? I'd be a bit put off if I have to put loctite everytime I have to take something apart to service!

I am planning on using these cranksets with a Campy SR EPS group and Rotor Q Rings. The choice and availability of chainrings for Campy is very limited as you would imagine. I am not concerned about weight...

RyanH

by RyanH

Blue loctite for the NDS crank fixing bolt and preload bolt. It's not a big deal but if you are traveling and need to do it for some reason I could see it being an inconvenience. I don't normally remove my crank when I travel though.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

+1 for Ryan’s comments. Not really an issue - just an outlier anecdote. My bike gets raced and traveled full time so it has to get taken out relatively frequently to clean my BB out from riding in a good amount of weather. But really a non issue for most people.

FYI trilobes are to be kept clean and can sometimes stick but are easy to pop out. Really the only thing to be mindful of on a normal home setup is just to take care of the arms if you like the pretty finish. Having said that the cranks have held up perfectly and honestly feel as nice as my s-works or Cannondale versions in years past that we’re up until now, my favorites.

Look forward to seeing yours :)
Just ride ..

RyanH

by RyanH

Clear nail polish should blend any chips in pretty well. #profashionweenietip

johnrho

by johnrho

I’m pretty anal with my stuff in regards to scuffs and chips. So on all y cranks I’ve always put gorilla tape on the arms to prevent scuffs and chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avispa

by avispa

johnrho wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:42 pm
I’m pretty anal with my stuff in regards to scuffs and chips. So on all y cranks I’ve always put gorilla tape on the arms to prevent scuffs and chips
Great idea! Now, how easy is to remove this Gorilla tape without it messing the cranksets?

johnrho

by johnrho

avispa wrote:
johnrho wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:42 pm
Great idea! Now, how easy is to remove this Gorilla tape without it messing the cranksets?
Easy. For adhesive residue I just use a fresh piece of gorilla tape to get it off. For residue that won’t come off I use a bit of Goo Gone - I wouldn’t suggest acetone just in case it pulls off the logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FELIPESANTANA

by FELIPESANTANA

What is the weight of SRM Origin without the chairing 9100? only the crankarm? and what is the spindle, 24 or 30 mm?

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I see you asked this question in a few places here - the search feature here is quite useful. But regardless ...

It's available in both spindles.

My 30mm version without rings is around 507 grams.

The 24mm version without rings is around 550 grams. (rechargable I think)

I can't recall what my arms weighed - sub 100 grams.

Weights always vary and the different versions add or subtract as well - rechargable, thm origin, origin trilobe etc. etc...

If that's not good enough you can always drop the folks at SRM an email.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ymneydyrak

by ymneydyrak

So I just got SRM Origin. Previously I had Wireless Dura Ace. I have BMC TMR02. I tried to install it, and it would not go all the way in. Got quite stuck. Took it to a shop, they managed to get it out, but can't put in either. They said it's slightly too wide. It's the 24x133 spindle. Emailed SRM and will see if I can call tomorrow, but I am very confused. Is the spindle defective or something? These things are standard size.

Anyone else experienced anything similar?