Help deciding on new bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LBoogie28

by LBoogie28

hannawald wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm
LBoogie28 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:32 pm
hannawald wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:13 am
You can find many independent reviews of Ultimate. It is light, stiff and comfortable with enough tyre clearance. You don't have to worry. It's in the same league as Tarmac S works and better than Tarmac Expert.
How do you know it’s better than the expert? Having ridden the 10r carbon tarmac, I would say that it’s livelier and stiffer than a tcr advanced sl (giants top offering). Weight on the expert is very competitive as well, surprising even me.
I dont know details but ultimate slx disc frame is 820g and fork about 320g. It has some aero shapes, proper stiffness and comfort. I think it about matches s works parametres. Sl is heavier, same with lower grade Tarmac carbon. Slx and S works are premium offerings, SL and Expert 2nd grade, very similar but slightly heavier.
TCR advance SL is giants premium offering (not second grade). Tarmac pro has a real world weigh is 910 with hangers and bolts. Fork is 357 uncut. As for as aero shapes, the sl6 is as aero as the first gen venge. At the two complete builds he is looking at, the tarmac is lighter (by 200-400g).
Last edited by LBoogie28 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

I was not clear, sorry. I did not write about Giant, but Canyon Ultimate SLX disc and 2nd grade Ultimate SL disc.

Wookski

by Wookski

Broady wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:37 pm
Wookski wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:01 pm
Get a custom frame, a Sarto Seta won’t set you back much more than an SL6 and is significantly better than the Shit Works and Giant of Germany.
Comparing a 5k frame to a 4k complete bike isn't really a fair comparison.
My bad, a friend went through the same process recently and Seta came out less than $1K more vs. SL6 ultra frame.