Selle Italia SP-01 CRACKED !!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlackMambra

by BlackMambra

My Selle Italia SP-01 Tekno Superflow just collapsed ! :oops:

I have been using it from less than 2 months and when I was washing my bike I saw that both of the "flexing" sides cracked!

I am a 80kg rider ( 10kg less than the limit) riding only in good quality pavement and the bike was assembled at a Pinarello Dealer following all the intructions (I have a 2018 F10 DA DI2) !

I have just talked to my bike fitter and he said tha this is the 3rd saddle that he saw broken! Mine is the top model full carbon but he said that he saw the same thing happening with the plastic model !

Contacted Bike24 and Selle Italia but no response yet !

This is one of the most expensive saddles in the market and i am glad that I saw the crack while not riding the bike!

Anyone else had the same problem?
Attachments
image1 (1).jpeg
3CD14C54-195F-4848-B054-CF77363FE4C2.jpeg
61CCFF7E-7073-4BF1-949B-B6C6A4AC9301.jpeg
2FD3A3AE-8507-4524-9E61-3F0CF3329446.jpeg
2DD9ACFE-4D40-4766-9639-484B8BFA659B.jpeg
Last edited by BlackMambra on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Great first post on any forum. :s

Honestly, i understand your feelings, I have been there as well. But i feel you cannot post something like this if selle italia haven't had time to respond. Please let us know how they follow up.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

BlackMambra

by BlackMambra

Frankie - B wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:13 pm
Great first post on any forum. :s

Honestly, i understand your feelings, I have been there as well. But i feel you cannot post something like this if selle italia haven't had time to respond. Please let us know how they follow up.
Why not? Did i say that the saddle is a crap or said bad things about Selle Italia? I just posted the problem asking if anyone else had the same problem! I didn´t ask for web forums posting advices either!

gramsqueen

by gramsqueen

Maybe your saddle was too high and so the torsion from your inner thigh and opposite glute cracked it.

Also did you check the torque

BlackMambra

by BlackMambra

gramsqueen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm
Maybe your saddle was too high and so the torsion from your inner thigh and opposite glute cracked it.

Also did you check the torque
All the screws were torque read tightened and I made a RETUL bike fit so i can assume that the sadle was in the correct position!

DJT21

by DJT21

Yes, RETUL bike fits usually put the saddle too high.

corky

by corky

Do a search of the forum......and yes you’ll see it’s not the first example.

Hope that helps......oh and welcome to the forum

BlackMambra

by BlackMambra

DJT21 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 pm
Yes, RETUL bike fits usually put the saddle too high.
Ok. Thanks for your tip but for me if this reason could cause a failure like this that is just unaccetable for such a claimed High Performance product.

But thanks again !

BlackMambra

by BlackMambra

corky wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 pm
Do a search of the forum......and yes you’ll see it’s not the first example.

Hope that helps......oh and welcome to the forum
Thanks ! I did the search but didn´t fund someone that had the failure in the flexing wing.

Wookski

by Wookski

I’m < 64kg and have broken a couple of saddles- although much more exotic/ lower weight than this one. My point is that these things happen- the important thing will be how the retailer addresses the issue. Good luck!

Next time get a Berk. Much lighter, nicer and if your big ass brakes it you can be confident that you will be looked after.

Alumen

by Alumen

Last year I cracked my Fizik Antares R1 (full carbon) at the point of the so called flex wings during a ride. We have only good pavements here as well. According to Strava I did about 2.400km's with the saddle until it cracked..

Though I weigh around 90kg, I was a bit disappointed since I thought that a carbon saddle should be stiff and reliable.

Lessons learned..., no lightweight carbon saddles for me anymore. I have also owned once a Selle Italia SLR saddle with Ti rails on my MTB and with that one the rail cracked (which was more likely given the track I was riding).

So now I ride a Flite TM Flow now, ~230gr with a nylon shelf and manganese (= steel) rails. Maybe a few grams (~60) more compared with the Antares, but it is equally stiff compared with carbon saddles (I have owned a Flite Kit Carbonio as well) and still comfortable. And I have full confidence in my saddle now.
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Wookski wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:44 pm
your big ass brakes
:no1:
Speedplay is the devil!

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Alumen wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:48 pm
Lessons learned..., no lightweight carbon saddles for me anymore.
I guess you had a bit of bad luck... Maybe stay away from the sub100 saddles but mainstream stuff such as fizik are pretty sturdy . Personally I used an Aliante 00 for almost 3 years with some pretty nasty pothole impacts under my 95-98Kg and no problems at all.

Wookski

by Wookski

The strongest saddle I have ever used is the 70g wr compositi- very simple design where the rails are formed from the carbon shell.
Downside is that there’s little to no flex so the fit needs to be spot on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KotP

by KotP

It's a good thing it's new then and Selle Italia have a 24 month wararanty.

I had a SLR that cracked, laterally along the saddle body, after 22 months of extensive use. I'm light so not sure what happened.

I emailed Selle Italia, they wanted to inspect it for QC purposes, and I had a brand new replacement saddle about a week after they received it.

It was a waste of my time dealing with the retailer, who then wanted to pass responsibility on to the distributor, who wanted nothing to do with it.

This sounds like a ringing endorsement for Selle Italia, but honestly it was the easiest and most trouble free experience I've had when something went wrong with a product.
BlackMambra wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Contacted Bike24 and Selle Italia but no response yet !
Probably a bad time of the year for this to happen, I don't think you'll get a quick (or maybe any) response from Selle Italia for much of August. Better wait until September, or deal with Bike24.