Ever buy a frame that was unbuildable?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

due to design/manufacturing defect/stupidity?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

Not personally but I was working in a shop shortly after Cannondale switched from US to overseas production and they sent unbuildable frames all the time. Slices where the cables couldn't pass through the frame, bikes with the dropouts so crooked that the tire rubbed, etc.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Yep.... got a Pinarello Prince carbon in about the 2010 time frame... had a nice big dent in the lower headtube... after fighting with the online company I bought it from, I got Gita involved and got a new frame...

Ridley X Night from late 2000s... rear brake posts were mounted incorrectly and the brakes would not mount correctly... the old canti brakes at tht time really had no vertical pad adjustment features on the frogleg style brakes.. ended up having to buy some crazy expensice TRPs that had some adjustment to make em work...

Stevens crossbike from 2012 or so... intended on installed my old campagnolo 10s stuff on it with the old one piece cartridge BB... BB had a twist to it so the BB was never in "straight" so the cranks never turned smooth.. ended up having to swith to otboard cups which solved the issue..

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yup... Pinarello FP6... except I built up the whole thing and only during final cabling noticed there didn’t seem to be a hole coming up through the backside of the BB shell to route the front derailleur cable. Surely, I thought, it wasn’t meant to just go right around the shell with no guide, allowing it to just saw back and forth. Sure enough, the hole had been forgotten. At that point I just wanted to drill one myself, but that would have voided any warranty and it was a brand new frame. Stripped it all down and got it replaced.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Catagory6

by Catagory6

well, i took the frame to a dealer today
this was my very first disc-brake bike
they said the frame wasn't designed for mechanical disc.
only hydrolic.
didn't realize when i purchased the frame set that this was a thing
got such a sweet deal on it too

morganb

by morganb

What frame was this? Did the housing not fit?

Catagory6

by Catagory6

2017 Focus Mares
there's no way to get mechanical, compressionless brake cable housing past the BB shell. the ports are too small, and the curves the housing has to make through that area is way too sharp.
the compartment under the BB, where the derailleur cables run is also too small.
the cover wont fit over, if all of that stuff is in that space.

i'm kinda bummed. was really excited to get this built up by friday, and have it for a huge event on saturday (D2R2 in massachusetts)

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Did they change frames between 16 and 17? Because the 16 came with trp hyrd which are mechanically operated

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Catagory6

by Catagory6

no idea
i'd much rather get this thing built.
but the only way compressionless housing would work, would be to drill a separate hole
had a sweet pair of custom wheels built up for it

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Seems bike frames have become like cars, designed by people who have never wrenched.

kdawg

by kdawg

My neighbour came to me a few years ago on Christmas Eve when he couldn’t assemble a BMX for his son. Took me ages as it was a piece of crap - wheels wouldn’t fit due to tons of excess paint and the brake posts were positioned on the top of the chain stays so that no matter what you did you couldn’t avoid the chain running on them. Just a stupid design.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

well whodda thunk i woulda figgur'd this one
pokin yer finger around in holes, ya find out some stuff

so i was trying to fish out the foam rubber sheath from the inside of the down tube, and lo and behold... the sheath slipped OVER the bottom bracket shell where the bottom of the seat tube meets
"isn't that a new development" i though to myself
i shook the frame around, like i was gettin a noisy toddler to quiet up, and the sheath did some more slipping over the BB shell and into the non-drive-side chain stay.

well, i'll be. all this time i was trying to stuff that damn housing the wrong way 'round

boy, i sure thought i was the cleverest

Stitchking

by Stitchking

Catagory6 wrote:well whodda thunk i woulda figgur'd this one
pokin yer finger around in holes, ya find out some stuff

so i was trying to fish out the foam rubber sheath from the inside of the down tube, and lo and behold... the sheath slipped OVER the bottom bracket shell where the bottom of the seat tube meets
"isn't that a new development" i though to myself
i shook the frame around, like i was gettin a noisy toddler to quiet up, and the sheath did some more slipping over the BB shell and into the non-drive-side chain stay.

well, i'll be. all this time i was trying to stuff that damn housing the wrong way 'round

boy, i sure thought i was the cleverest
Sooo, your frame works now?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Yep, NOS Ridley Ignite MTB with 2 right handed BB threads, had to buy 2BBs. The frame must have been knock-off cause its ISP cracked month later under 130lb rider on the road. No abuse, jumps etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Catagory6 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:40 am
well, i took the frame to a dealer today
this was my very first disc-brake bike
they said the frame wasn't designed for mechanical disc.
only hydrolic.
didn't realize when i purchased the frame set that this was a thing
got such a sweet deal on it too
most internal cabled disk frame are not designed for mechanical disk, the rear brake cable would bend too much for mechanical, you can however just route the brake cable outside with zipties, it looks like shit but works great, I am sticking with my red 22 and Juin-Tech F1 until Shimano GRX DI2 is released