Disc or rim C64 as next bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
logy

by logy

Hi all

Want to replace my SSEvo all-purpose bike with a C64 next spring and wonder what your thoughts are on disc v rim? I intend to swap gruppo to Campagnolo disc or rim but if I stick to rim, I would keep my Tune wheels.

Riding is mostly UK and not hilly. This will be a fair weather bike.

It seems the industry is going disc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

Yep, the industry is pushing us towards disc but we don't have follow! Discs are for mountain bikes or maybe cross but not an Italian thorough bred stallion!!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

by Weenie

scale29

by scale29

Well, as devils advocate, I just sold my C60 and won't buy another bike without discs, make of that what you will.

bilwit

by bilwit

The answer is always N+1. Here's my stable:
  1. fairweather "trophy" rim brake bike that's as light and bling as I want
  2. disc bike with fenders that I take out when it's either horrible (rain or mega hot) or I when I don't really feel like it's appropriate to take out the super weapon
Honestly, there's absolutely no need to go disc if you meet any of the following criteria:
  1. never take it out regularly in the rain
  2. never take it out regularly through steep bits where you need to stop (traffic)
  3. are completely content with riding alloy rims in the previous two situations

scb

by scb

Another reason to go disc—if you have finger and hand issues—loss of strength, nerve damage etc. I ordered a C64 disc when they were announced in February. Still waiting for internal routing version. My C60 with rim brakes is the bike I use most of the time, and I’m going to keep it.

MRM

by MRM

It's not worth fighting windmills. Go disc and move on and be happy. :wink:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

scb wrote: ↑
Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:36 pm
Another reason to go disc—if you have finger and hand issues—loss of strength, nerve damage etc. I ordered a C64 disc when they were announced in February. Still waiting for internal routing version. My C60 with rim brakes is the bike I use most of the time, and I’m going to keep it.
yep.. I cant wait to be one finger braking for Road/Aero & Road/Adventure disc.

The TT/Tri bike... well stays rim brake for awhile.. I dont need it there as much.

srshaw

by srshaw

I'd go disc. I'm holding off buying a TT bike until there's a reasonably priced disk option. I have a mixture of disc and rim bikes, but the discs are so much better, particularly on the mtb. For me rim brakes are old technology. A bit like buying Betamax back in the day (having said that vhs wasn't better than Betamax so perhaps that's not a great analogy!)

by Weenie